leak question

da_karr

leak question

Post by da_karr »

I am not sure which area to put this question under, but I have a question about fixing a very small leak on my yak. First off, I have a 3 year old Pelican..I know everyone hates pelicans and what not, but I can't afford to go buy a new or new to me yak at the moment. So, I would prefer to try and do a small patch job and at least get myself through the rest of the season and look into purchasing come winter time. My pelican 116 has a very soft and pliable spot on the rear hull from me dragging the yak on concrete from my car down to the water. I went fishing for 6 hours and when getting off the water I noticed a rather abnormal amount of water inside the yak. I didn't think anything of it until I got home and noticed water dripping from the back hull. I investigated further, and I can't necessarily see a crack, but the area is very soft and you can dent it in by just pushing on it. This seems to be the place where water is coming into the boat from. What can I do to patch it or reinforce that soft area and make it not leak? Thanks in advance for any help yall can offer!!

Take care,

Daniel
rodloos

Re: leak question

Post by rodloos »

da_karr wrote:I am not sure which area to put this question under, but I have a question about fixing a very small leak on my yak. First off, I have a 3 year old Pelican..I know everyone hates pelicans and what not, but I can't afford to go buy a new or new to me yak at the moment. So, I would prefer to try and do a small patch job and at least get myself through the rest of the season and look into purchasing come winter time. My pelican 116 has a very soft and pliable spot on the rear hull from me dragging the yak on concrete from my car down to the water. I went fishing for 6 hours and when getting off the water I noticed a rather abnormal amount of water inside the yak. I didn't think anything of it until I got home and noticed water dripping from the back hull. I investigated further, and I can't necessarily see a crack, but the area is very soft and you can dent it in by just pushing on it. This seems to be the place where water is coming into the boat from. What can I do to patch it or reinforce that soft area and make it not leak? Thanks in advance for any help yall can offer!!

Take care,

Daniel
Seems like I remember someone posting a video in the Rigging section a long time ago demonstrating how to melt plastic to "weld" up leaks, you might try searching through that section for the video. I've always been wary of dragging my kayak across concrete for that reason, didn't want to grind it down by dragging it.