Redoing deck, foam, paint

Elite13

Redoing deck, foam, paint

Post by Elite13 »

I have an 92 Baysport 16ft center console. Boat is similar to a Carolina skiff. Has the low sides and flat bottom/tunnel. I have a 40hp evinrude 2 stroke on it that has no probs. I know the deck needs to be replaced and so does the foam. Im going to build storage compartments in the front for anchor, tackle etc. Im thinking of using the expanding foam but unsure of how much it takes. Going to use 1/2in plywood for floor with fiberglass resin on top and bottom to seal it and keep from rotting. Also wanting to paint the boat or preferably something I can roll on. Boat will be used going thru the marsh and duckhunting so wanting to keep the cost down where I can. Anyone have any advice?
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Redoing deck, foam, paint

Post by Shamrock kid »

For the foam I would start with a two gallon kit and go from there. A tip to making it go further is keeping it warm, same for the area your filling. With the weather getting cooler lately make sure you work on a warm day, or heat the two parts in a bucker of hot water. The work area can be heated using a work light. As far as paint Sterling makes the best IMO. It's a yacht paint that if applied correct will look better then factory. You need to roll it on and tip it with a brush. Bateau.com has a forum one of the sections is for rebuilding boats just like what your doing. You can get some great feed back about how and what to use. They even stock and sell supplies you might need. There is also tutorials on every aspect of what your talking about doing. Good luck and post some pics please.