Dumb questions

skimo281

Dumb questions

Post by skimo281 »

I've been kicking the idea around of selling my kayak to fund another one for the simple fact I just don't like the storage. Well as I've been looking around nothing else really seems to be exactly what I want so I thought maybe I should just save up and build one.

My main concern with storage was wanting to have the hatch itself lock down, the kind of square hatches that you have to pull the handles up and twist to open. I don't carry much with me but I want everything very accessible but at the same time be secured when not in use in case I ever flipped it.

Is this a realistic expectation when it comes to building your kayak? I have a few ideas on how to do it but I would imagine it would get heavy quickly.

I'll leave it at that for now and if it's plausible I'll ask some more questions. Also how cost effective if at all is it to build your own?
Weasle

Re: Dumb questions

Post by Weasle »

In my book, there is no such thing as a dumb question. You will get more for your yack if you sell it with the hatches. They sell after market hatches like the ones you are describing.
eou_okhca_standard.jpg
eou_okhca_standard.jpg (29.8 KiB) Viewed 4552 times
Relatively inexpensive and look good, this one is about $35 and come with a mesh bag. They also have larger square ones. The other option to make one completly out of wood, they are lighter than the plastic. Depending on your skill you can turn these hatches into real works of art. Enjoy the process until you get to the sanding.
skimo281

Post by skimo281 »

That's exactly the hatches I was talking about except they're rectangular. I would like one pretty close to the seat kinda between my legs but my manta ray wouldn't allow for that modification and I haven't found many kayaks that come setup like that which is why I thought if I build it myself I can have the exact layout I wanted.

Not sure how plausible it is with having no skills and what kind of costs I'd be looking at. I'm going to back track through these pages and see if I can get an idea based on what has been posted here already.
Jeaux

Post by Jeaux »

Check out Jem Watercraft they have a number of sit on top plans and kits for sale.
I am looking at the Wade Fish or Blue Fin. Where are you located?
skimo281

Post by skimo281 »

In Alvin about 30 minutes south or Houston
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

I use 2 styles of the twist lock hatches on this yak.

I built the hatch covers on this yak and used thumb screws to secure them.
skimo281

Post by skimo281 »

That looks awesome!

How much did it cost to build the yak?