Not a boat, model Sailplanes.

RealBigReel
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Not a boat, model Sailplanes.

Post by RealBigReel »

I have been busy (between fishing trips with a new project). I used to fly model gliders several years ago and I though I might get back into it.
I built a new kind of glider called a DLG. These were invented a few years again. Essential you launch these from the wing tip. The pros can toss them up there as much as 66 meters (216 feet). 50 feet has been my best toss. My son tossed it for me the other day and we actually got it into some lift. I also have a tow hook on this 1.5 meter span glider and so I am also able use an 8 lb hi-start (10 meters of surgical rubber tubing) to launch this 15 oz glider, pretty spectacular. It comes off the line at something over 100 feet and climbs vertically another 50-70 feet. This glider has flaperons which make it easy to spot land.
I got to reading about some of the newer electronics that are available and when I saw an audio variometer I got interested. This is a device on board the aircraft that allow the RC pilot on the ground to know whether the sailplane is climbing or sinking. The sound is supposed to be like the same sound that a full scale sailplane pilot might hear. And this allows the pilot on the ground to center up a thermal (rising air) and climb. This is well outside my comfort zone as I consider electronics black magic.
It turns out that most of the production RC audio variometers are kinda expensive (3-500 bucks) and have way more features than the average pilot needs or wants. Many of them are made in Europe and so they run on frequencies that require a license here in the USA. I was hoping to find a simple inexpensive audio variometer that did not need a license to operate. Unfortunately nobody makes such a device. But that doesn't mean you can't put one together, which I did. Essentially what I did was put a Thermal Scout (audio generator) with a 72 MHz TX and RX. (It is a little more complicated than that.) I also built a special 2 meter glider to haul these electronics around.
Here is the body before the electronic installation. It is built of balsa and fiberglass, and it weighed 8 oz at this point.

This is what it looks like with the electronics installed:

You cans see the receiver in the upper left of the picture with the earphones attached.

This is what it looks like ready to fly:

The wing is a Tower Hobbies Vista with the decals removed.
I have flown it and the vario sounds like it is supposed to.
neon14

Re: Not a boat, model Sailplanes.

Post by neon14 »

I used to fly the crap out of those things. Its been about 17 years since I last flown. My favorite glider was a sparrow from northeast sail planes. Used to slope soar down in Corpus Christi. I also had an Illusion from M&M glider works. It was a hand launch all wood glider. Thats prolly the closest to the glider you have. I would like to get back into it. Thanks for posting.
RealBigReel
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by RealBigReel »

The latest

90 inch span REF
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Neat...now, if we actually had some slope in the Houston area..think how much fun I could have. I've been in and out of the hobby for 5 years or so.

I am almost OK at flying powered gliders. Little electric motor gets it up, and my job is to then keep her flying. Lots of fun. Rich
RealBigReel
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by RealBigReel »

Don't fly power in full scale or models. I use a 100 feet of rubber hi-start. Can usually get off up near 500 feet. Had my Personal best flight recently when I climbed up over 1K.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

I'm old. I couldn't see it at 1000 feet. Ha ha. Rich
LUISJG
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by LUISJG »

i remmenber the my sailplane days with a smile.
used to fly almost every weekend and during the week, from zagis and HLG, "monarch d light back then" to jaro muller
molded sailplanes , 4 meter salto scale,asw's , pilatus, etc , at the slope in monterrey Mx. was the best,,2 hour flights where commun and the combat was freaking cool.