Flats Stalker 18

Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Flats Stalker 18

Post by Shamrock kid »

Then I flipped it back over and started fitting the rub rails on.
photo 3 copy 9.JPG
photo 3 copy 9.JPG (28.34 KiB) Viewed 16266 times
This is made up of three layers of 1/4" plywood. they will be laminated together and glued on. Right now they are just screwed on.
photo 2 copy 6.JPG
photo 2 copy 6.JPG (26.85 KiB) Viewed 16266 times
I ran out of strips and need to rip out some more. But I knew this already and will continue on tomorrow.
photo 1 copy 8.JPG
photo 1 copy 8.JPG (27.59 KiB) Viewed 16266 times
neon14

Post by neon14 »

This boat is coming along nicely. Cant wait to see how you build to deck and rig it out.

Oh and thats a pretty nice looking shop your working in :D
Pesco

Post by Pesco »

Very nice. If youre in the Houston area i would volunteer to help out.
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

neon14 wrote:This boat is coming along nicely. Cant wait to see how you build to deck and rig it out.

Oh and thats a pretty nice looking shop your working in :D
Thanks! Yeah I can't wait to get to that step as well. Nothing is in ink yet, just kinda figuring it out as I go. Lots of ideas in my head what I want to do. Guess we'll see what actually makes it.
Pesco wrote:Very nice. If youre in the Houston area i would volunteer to help out.
I'm in Corpus but thanks, feels like I've just been sanding lately. Fairing sucks!

Got the rub rails laminated and glued on tonight. But forgot to snap some pics. :? Now that the rub rails are on I get to coat it with quick fair and sand some more. :dance: I'm hoping the quick in the name means it sands quicker then epoxy. :D
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

Well I'm still sanding. But I think Im making headway. Its hard to tell, some times it seems like one step forward results in two back. :lol: Anyway I plan to start with the quickfair tomorrow. The boat takes on a different look with the rub rails on. It looks more like a boat.
photo 3 copy 10.JPG
photo 3 copy 10.JPG (28.88 KiB) Viewed 16153 times
Not the best pic but its a phone camera. After sanding all the way around I wiped it down with water. If I can ever get it faired I think the primer will really make a big change.
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

Building on one little step at a time. Started with the Quick Fair this weekend. Really like this stuff now I'm wondering why people just don't start with this to begin with.
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (28.36 KiB) Viewed 15906 times
I'm mixing in small batches just so I don't waste any. Its not really pricey I just don't like waste. So its a two to one mix, I use a tablespoon and a half tablespoon to measure it out. mixing three of each. I guess its giving me about a third of a cup of putty. Tool of choice for this is my 8" drywall knife. I sand the blade before each use to make sure there isn't any hard stuff on it.
photo 3 copy 11.JPG
photo 3 copy 11.JPG (30.5 KiB) Viewed 15906 times
This is the second coat after sanding the first. I really like this stuff it applies easier, sands easier, and all around is easier to work with.
photo 4 copy 5.JPG
photo 4 copy 5.JPG (30.66 KiB) Viewed 15906 times
I like the way its turning out so far. I'll let this dry then sand again tonight.
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

Building on, got the first coat of primer on today. Looks allot different but it also shows were its not quit faired.
photo 1 copy 11.JPG
photo 1 copy 11.JPG (24.85 KiB) Viewed 15844 times
It was getting hard to see what was fair and what was not. But now I can tell just by looking at it.
photo 2 copy 9.JPG
photo 2 copy 9.JPG (24.11 KiB) Viewed 15844 times
Its also good to see it in one solid color. Makes it seem like I'm actually making progress.
Now I got to fix the spots that need help. Then I'm going to put a layer of epoxy and graphite on the bottom. Stay tuned!
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Look forward to seeing the final. Very nice.
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

Hirsch wrote:Look forward to seeing the final. Very nice.
Thank you, I'm looking forward to it as well. I'm working on a couple spots that needed more fairing. Then going to coat the bottom in graphite. The plan is to get it done this weekend. We'll see how it goes.
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

Building on, got the first coat of graphite on her bottom.
photo 1 copy 12.JPG
photo 1 copy 12.JPG (29.21 KiB) Viewed 15756 times
Got two more coats to go. Then the big flip! :shock:
Attachments
photo 3 copy 12.JPG
photo 3 copy 12.JPG (27.79 KiB) Viewed 15756 times
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

Building on.......did the big flip tonight. :shock:
photo copy.JPG
photo copy.JPG (25.86 KiB) Viewed 15729 times
I'm still not sure if I like the sheer, but its really to late. At this point I would have to redo the rub rails and that is not an option.
photo copy 2.JPG
photo copy 2.JPG (26.81 KiB) Viewed 15729 times
I think they will grow on me. But it feels good to get to this point. Now I get to start the inside. :dance: Also got the motor on the way. Should be showing up midweek, stay tuned to see what I'm going with. I did the whole 2 stroke verses 4 stroke thing. Did allot of research on the two and I've had past experience with both. And there is so many things to consider. But bought this because of price.
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

Building on..... I got the inside cleaned up and the rub rail tops plained down even. Not much to show pic wise. But whats a post with out pics!
photo 3 copy 13.JPG
photo 3 copy 13.JPG (27.39 KiB) Viewed 15669 times
photo 4 copy 6.JPG
photo 4 copy 6.JPG (28.3 KiB) Viewed 15669 times
Since flipping it I had added carpet to the jig to keep from scratching the finish coat on the bottom. I notice how slick the graphite is. While plaining the rub rails I almost pushed it off the jig. So I had to add some ratchet straps to keep it planted in on the jig. I got under the jig to see how the graphite coat was curing. I snapped this pic cause it looked cool. You can see the reflection of the extra carpet laying under it. Looks like a mirror. :)
photo 1 copy 13.JPG
photo 1 copy 13.JPG (24.62 KiB) Viewed 15669 times
Hope to start the inside fillets, and glass tapping this week. Then possibly glass the inside this weekend.
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

Well have not had a chance to work on her this week. But..... I got a delivery today.
photo 1 copy 14.JPG
photo 1 copy 14.JPG (19.72 KiB) Viewed 15622 times
I could not wait to open her up. Felt like a kid on christmas. Only this is a big boy toy, gotta love them!
photo 2 copy 12.JPG
photo 2 copy 12.JPG (24.04 KiB) Viewed 15622 times
And finally the motor of choice is.......?
photo 3 copy 14.JPG
photo 3 copy 14.JPG (27.47 KiB) Viewed 15622 times
Its a Yammy baby! 25hp four stroke.
I do like 2 strokes because they are lighter, get out of the hole faster. But I've never liked the way they idle, the noise, or worrying about the oil not injecting right. Or mixing the oil in the fuel if you choose to disconnect the oil system. I know the four strokes are heavier, and are slower on the hole shot. But they idle so much nicer, are quieter, don't smell like burnt oil. Plus four stroke yammies just sip fuel. :D But really I couldn't pass up the deal. A dealer in Florida had some left overs motor that they needed to move. Motor and shipping was just over $2000. :dance: I was looking to pick up a used one on craigslist. But someone mentioned to me that then I'll just be getting someone else's problems. I thought about that and decided that if at all possible I would look for a new motor. This is a 2010 but its never been used and comes with a 3 year warranty from Yamaha. I think I made a good buy and now I just want to get this girl finished and on the water.
Last edited by Shamrock kid on Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

photo 4 copy 7.JPG
photo 4 copy 7.JPG (25.31 KiB) Viewed 15619 times
One more just because! :D
MR2brad

Post by MR2brad »

Nice! We had a Yamaha four stroke on our past boat, and it ran like a champ.
Fuel efficient and you could barely hear it at idle. Can't wait to see how the boat performs.
JaimeInTexas

Post by JaimeInTexas »

Okay, okay, enough of the break. Get back to work. :D

I do not have a place where I can build anything. I live vicariously through some of the build projects I have seen. Man it is looking good.
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

MR2brad wrote:Nice! We had a Yamaha four stroke on our past boat, and it ran like a champ.
Fuel efficient and you could barely hear it at idle. Can't wait to see how the boat performs.
Can't wait either, I got so much more to do. I want to be patient and do it right. But it's hard not to throw it together and get on the water.
JaimeInTexas wrote:Okay, okay, enough of the break. Get back to work. :D

I do not have a place where I can build anything. I live vicariously through some of the build projects I have seen. Man it is looking good.
Lol, I hear you. Enough B.S. with work I got a boat to build. :D Damn work keeps getting in my way. Early mornings and 14 hour days have slowed me up this week. But I plan to get back to it real soon. Thanks for the comments and compliments.
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

Building on......tonight there wasn't much photo worthy. But I snapped a few anyway. I sanded down all the inside seams in prep for fillets. Then I measured and set the stringers, and frames in place. So I could mark their locations. This will come in handy later in the build.
Marking locations.JPG
Marking locations.JPG (24.15 KiB) Viewed 15539 times
After I got all those marked I took them out again. Then made the inside bow fillet. But before that I primed the seams with epoxy.
Priming before fillet.JPG
Priming before fillet.JPG (26.1 KiB) Viewed 15539 times
Made the fillet and laid the glass tape wet on wet. Two layers of tape overlapped by one inch.
Bow.JPG
Bow.JPG (25.82 KiB) Viewed 15539 times
I'm hoping to get all the inside fillets and seams tapped this weekend. But I made a huge mistake forgetting to place an order for more epoxy. I have about half a gallon left. I'll see how far it goes. I don't really want to pay the kings ransom by buying it at West Marine. Stay tuned..........
texasproud11

Post by texasproud11 »

Excited to see the finished product
Nano-Skiff
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Nano-Skiff »

Really nice.
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

texasproud11 wrote:Excited to see the finished product
Thanks, me too! :dance:
Nano-Skiff wrote:Really nice.
Thanks, I always welcome compliments and comments as well. Helps keep me motivated.
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

Building on...... but as expected the mistake I mentioned earlier of forgetting to order more epoxy bit me. I ran short of finishing the inside fillets. I was working wet on wet. Meaning that after building a fillet I let it set up just slightly then laminated the glass tape over it. This is suppose to provide a much stronger joint. But for me this means allot less sanding. :D I not real fond of sanding and the less I do is fine with me. There is enough sanding already involved in boat building.
Here's is a stern fillet. Nice smooth 1/2" radius.
Stern Fillet 1.JPG
Stern Fillet 1.JPG (31.84 KiB) Viewed 15492 times
Here is the stern seam's and keel seam filleted and tapped. The keel was filleted as well and has three overlapping layers of 6" biaxial tape. The stern has just two layers of tape.
Stern seam tapped.JPG
Stern seam tapped.JPG (27.57 KiB) Viewed 15492 times
I didn't have enough epoxy left to make the chine fillets, and seams. Thats what I get for not properly managing my project. But all in all at least I got some nice clean work done on her.
Used up extra epoxy .JPG
Used up extra epoxy .JPG (26.06 KiB) Viewed 15492 times
Next step is to finish the seams and then glass the inside with biaxial fabric from stern to bow. Stay tuned......
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

Okay finally building on......
Glassed inside hull.JPG
Glassed inside hull.JPG (27 KiB) Viewed 15400 times
The supplies I ordered on Monday showed up Friday evening. Just in time for some filleting and glassing. After I sanded down and cleaned up the seams I already made. I finisher the chine seams with a fillet and one layer of 12oz biaxial tape. Then laid 7 yards of 12oz 50" wide biaxial fabric. :shock: :shock: Laid it all wet on wet, not fun and thats allot of mixing and spreading. Glad its over with. :clap:
Inside hull glassed 1.JPG
Inside hull glassed 1.JPG (29.89 KiB) Viewed 15400 times
From this angel it doesn't look like the stern got glassed but it is.
Lines visible through glasswork.JPG
Lines visible through glasswork.JPG (29.24 KiB) Viewed 15400 times
The lines I drew on earlier in the build are perfectly visible through the glass. And they should come in handy with the next step.
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

The next step.....
After the inside glass set up I laid the stringers back in and with the marks already there it was easy to line them up. :D I used the frames to hold everything lined up. Also used pieces of tongue depressors to space the stringer off the hull.
Stringer fillet tab & spacer.JPG
Stringer fillet tab & spacer.JPG (25.49 KiB) Viewed 15400 times
Then I tabbed the stringers in and let them set up.
Spacer under stringer.JPG
Spacer under stringer.JPG (28.39 KiB) Viewed 15400 times
After the tabs set up I removed the frames again. All this back and forth is making me dizzy. :lol: Then you guessed it filleted and glassed the stringers. Well one at least, the other will have to wait. I think I'm almost over the hump.
One stringer tabbed one glassed.JPG
One stringer tabbed one glassed.JPG (31.37 KiB) Viewed 15400 times
Johnny5455
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Johnny5455 »

Wow that's cool!