Waterproof wood

freespool
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Waterproof wood

Post by freespool »

I decided to post here since I have a question about wood working. I am building a wooden cooler (not to put an old cooler in). I want to make the entire thing of wood. The inside box needs to be wood and hold water and ice. How do you seal your boats? would this work for a day cooler? Will be a wood box inside, layer of insulation, and wood box on the outside. I just love the look of stained wood and want the inside to match the outside.
Thanks
generalnotes

Re: Waterproof wood

Post by generalnotes »

I think you could do that using fiberglass and epoxy resin. You may not even need fiberglass, you could use an old white sheet if you wanted to. you will have to use a good spar varnish to keep the resin from turning milky in the sunlight. Let me know how the finished product turns out, I'd love to see it.
freespool
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by freespool »

If I put fiberglass over the wood, will it not take away from seeing the wood grain? My goal is to see the wood finish on the inside of the cooler.
generalnotes

Post by generalnotes »

The fiberglass will disappear when it is wetted out with the epoxy. everything will dry clear. Epoxy resin isn't all that expensive, get you some and practice on some scrap and see if you like the results.
Iamdamoder
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Iamdamoder »

Not all fiberglass is created equal. Stay away from the chop mat and polyester resin at the auto parts and bLowes.

Get 4 oz cloth and 127 Resin from RAKA with no blush hardener.
http://www.raka.com/epoxy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just call him he knows his biz.

Of course this fiberglass crap aint a 1 step process so read up or ask questions as you go along.
freespool
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by freespool »

Thanks moder. Looks like fiberglass is the way to go for the inside box. I will prob just stain and varnish the outside. Thanks everyone for the help. knew you guys would know how to do this. It will be a slow project, but the plans I have should be dang cool when done.