question on ceder strips

jclc43837

question on ceder strips

Post by jclc43837 »

do you use bead and cove on the strips or straight edges
StuckInTheMud

Re: question on ceder strips

Post by StuckInTheMud »

I'm assuming this will be your first strip build since you're asking. Just my own opinion, but I would recommend going bead and cove for your first. I'm elbow deep in my own build and I opted not to for whatever reason. I think if I had, things may be moving along a little smoother. Not complaining really, its just a learning experience, but since you asked, I'll recommend going B&C.

Good luck!
generalnotes

Post by generalnotes »

My first stripper was built with straight edge strips. It’s a bit tedious to plane each strip to fit the one next to it, but if you don’t, you will get gaps along the outside curve. The gaps aren’t really that big a deal except for the looks. Personally, I find it much easier to use bead and cove strips.
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

The cove edge of this type becomes very fragile and the router bits are for 1/4'' material.....so when routing 1/4'' thick strips set the fences a little shallow to give strength to the edge of the cove .......The key is to have strips riped to a uniform thickness to start with....
jclc43837

Post by jclc43837 »

thanks for the input i was going to start a build soon as we get our new house in order but i might start ripping the strips and have them ready.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Well here is the other side of the story , no bead and cove for me ,or Gerald, or Darrell, . Just havent found it is worth the extra effort.
Ron
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

x2 on that

MM