A rudder for the challenger

awoodman

A rudder for the challenger

Post by awoodman »

I started making a rudder months ago but now I'm finally doing it....I don't know if this looks to big or what....I started out with the idea of spooling the rope in the blade itself, but after examining Gerald's i sandwiched 3/8'' spooled on the side of the blade....It's all Baltic birch except for the blade and a pc. of walnut....
I,m using some small dia. coated cable that was the draw string for a swimming pool cover some 15yrs. ago(never throw anything away)...
I need to figure a simple quick-disconnect of the rudders stering.....

awoodman

Re: A rudder for the challenger

Post by awoodman »

After rummaging through parts came up with...a steering quick disconect..
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Interesting and very nice wood work.
regards, Rich
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

Thanks Rich...The foot controlls...I attached a bungee to keep tension on the rudder in the down position, just unhook it when in the up position..
Used some PVC with 9/16 ID and some 1/2'' aluminum to slide in the inside.
The wood J hooks hold fishing rods and they rests up under the PVC tube...
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Lots of very creative ideas there. Looks like it would be a shame to put that craft into the water! Ha...

Only thing I would consider changing is the lightweight brass swivel clasp. I'd use clips like these..

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/store ... ls&Ntk=All" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

regards, rich

p.s. While I haven't gone to a bungee load on my rudder yet, I did flatten a tire balancing weight and glue/screw it on the end. Added a bit of weight to keep her down. My paddling speed in still water doesn't add much up-thrust.....RG
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

A weight added to the rudder might be a good idea...the bungee tends to add tension to the line when turning....
The rudder works fine without the bungee when using it for a controlled drift while fishing...with just a slight breeze now and then the rudder works like a dream for this application.. just paddle a stroke from either side when stopped and keep on casting because the rudder will take over in the direction of the drift..it is assume.. After 3 1/2 hrs of fishing yesterday I realy put to the test....The adjustible center console works great with the foot pegs..their is 6 1/2'' between the side of the console and the rudder controlls..plenty of room to have the feet on one or the other....
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

I am using "opposing bungees" on my rudder to have it return to mid-ships whenever I let off the control lines.

Even with that arrangement, though, I am thinking about placing the steering cords in their stoppers......to keep her dead center when I am paddling long, straight distances...which doesn't happen often. regards, Rich

awoodman

Post by awoodman »

Yea..I tried that but I didn't want to always have to keep tension on one or the other peddle....
I have to make a drift sock for my next project..those work great....
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Actually, I think the opposing bungees keep all pressure off of the control lines/pedals unless you are turning.

When turning, it takes a bit more pressure to move them, of course.

regards, Rich