Surfboard

awoodman

Re: Surfboard

Post by awoodman »

Neon it does look really good ...tires me out looking at the time that you have logged in on this project....By chance do the side rails run out past the nose so you can try to miter that end?
Iwannagofishin

Post by Iwannagofishin »

Incredible. Great attention to detail.

Do you know how much it weighs?
neon14

Post by neon14 »

awoodman, your going to be disappointed again. The nose just didn't work out like I thought it would.(like a lot of things on this build) I'm taking the easy way out, its going to be a square nose, like my very first paddle board. But its still going to look good.

Here is a close up of the corners glued up with thickend epoxy.

Iwannagofishin, I will tell you how much it weighs. Too Much! :cry: My target weight was 40 pounds and I am at 43 before glassing the outside. This thing will be in the 50s, thats a bummer. One of these days I will build a light boat, just not today.
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

Well you better get ready for another 50 lb.der with that sit-on-top kayak you want to build, unless you use the foam build up on inside guts on that thing....Ah but you're young and strong.. :)
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Getting almost ready to glass! Need to do a final hand sanding and fill in a few spots.
Got a little issue with one of the front corners. Where the crap did this thing come from? A tree :lol: If anything it will give it character.
Carver
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Carver »

I would have a hard time resisting using a bit of toner in my epoxy resin to make that into an eye. inlay an eyebrow above and a pupil and you have a built in fishfinder. The of course you would have to find an eye patch for the other side and learn to talk like a pirate.

build looks really good. time for brightwork now.

Phill
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Phill, I am a pirate! A Center Point Pirate. Our school mascot is a pirate :D

Well, here it goes.
Its going to look good. This is the part about boat building that I hate. The finnish work. I really enjoy the wood working part of it. But its all worth it in the end. Tomorrow will do the other side. Man this is tedious crap!
Alsatian
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Alsatian »

When can I come by and see this thing?
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Tomorrow if you want. I think it will hit the water this weekend. So if you want to try it out you are welcome. You could also paddle the jem board.
pm me
Alsatian
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Alsatian »

I have to run up to Kerrville tomorrow. If you're serious I could swing by on the way back. I don't need to paddle it, I just want to put my eye on it.
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Got the top glassed today. Few more coats and will be ready for varnish. Bought a spray gun the other day, going to attempt to spray the varnish on. We will see what happens.

Alsatian, thanks for coming over and checking out the board. I enjoyed talking to you and thanks for the woodworking tips. Its nice to talk to somebody that appreciates and understands this type of work. I hope that you will become a boat builder soon.
Alsatian
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Alsatian »

Thanks for letting me take a look at it. You are doing an amazing job. I'll hit you up for a paddle trip when its finished. :D I started looking at my wood pile when I got home. I'm thinking the mesquite and cypress combo will be on my first build. I guess I need to start looking at plans. Thanks for the inspiration.
neon14

Post by neon14 »

I haven't posted the last couple days because I have been sanding. I have been sanding my butt off. I forgot about how much sanding it takes. I did a sloppy job on the epoxy and now I am paying for it, by sanding. So I have been sanding. Basically I have been sanding alot. Then I sanded some more...........stopped and got a beer.......and then sanded some more. Got another beer :D And then went back to...you guessed it...sanding. I sanded so much that my arms actually fell off :lol: And that ended my night. Luckily I was able to get the fins on before the mishap.
Nice big thick grinding over rock fins. I bet by the end of the summer they will be half that size.
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

I'm right there with you in the sanding department, most all day yesterday.

Is this classified as a physical workout :?: does the beer offset calories lost in exersize :?:

MM :dance:
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

I know one thing, epoxy is tough, and with all the sanding I do should tell me to roll on thinner coats....The heat gun sure helps to smooth it out with out the need of a foam brush to tip it off....
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Well I finally got it all sanded. I think I'm happy with it. Its not perfect. But it will have to do. I'm running behind schedule on this thing.Its fixin to rain so I dont want to start varnishing yet. Going out of town all day Wednesday, then leaving for the Texas Mile on Thursday after work. Wont be back until Sunday. So this project just got put on hold till next week :( My plan is to wet sand and buff the final coat. Wait...stop...I should not make any plans because they never work out :lol:

awoodman, thanks for the heat gun tip.

makenmend, its defiantly a physical workout. An endurance contest.
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

awoodman could you enlighten me with more details on your heatgun method, just glassed in the decks/bulkheads on my buddies boat and after feather sanding I'm ready to do the final finish, last fill coats and varnish so any tips for that " perfect" finish would help.

MM
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

neon
its defiantly a physical workout. An endurance contest.
will get more beer then :)

have fun at the 'mile' spectator or entrante :?:

MM
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Just a spectator at this one. Usually I am a pit hand for my sister, but her bike is down right now. Busted turbo. She plans on running a few other peoples bikes. So that leaves me free to roam around and hang out with friends, maybe have a few beers :)
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

Neon, my brother in law is building up this bike in the U.K. http://www.gpz9.me/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MM
neon14

Post by neon14 »

That bike is going to be crazy! That will be an 8 second bike in the 1/4 mile if he can keep the front wheel down!

Here are a couple videos from the mile. Ones a few years old and the other is from last year.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRS4mKz3 ... 2cO_X4cyw=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH8yanrq ... 2cO_X4cyw=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

She would later get another 5mph out of the thing before it broke. I think that motor made over 60 passes down the mile over the last 4 years. Not to bad I guess. Just need a bigger turbo now :D

Will
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

Fill coats.....Here is where I got the idea:

A heat gun can do a nice job of popping bubbles in the finish and eliminating pin-holes. You can over do it, causing the epoxy to boil up, but with care you can have good results.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhIrmsOm ... r_embedded" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

Now thats a fast lady. :clap:

My top speed on 2 wheels was a tad over 145 didn't want anymore :oops:

Nowadays anything over 10 sailing or 5 paddling is fast :!:
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

awoodman thanks, got some off cuts from the decks I can do some testing on, interesting.

Any varnishing tricks :?:

MM

Don't know if I want to get to good looking (not me, the boat) be worried about scuffing them up, and that would be counter productive. :)
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

I just spray my varnish on with a cheap Harbor Freight spray gun...
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/cata ... _14138.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;