Surfboard

makenmend

Re: Surfboard

Post by makenmend »

I went and got exactly that, came out pretty good but had some misting and runs. That I guess comes down to my skills or lack thereof. It was easier to blame the gun though. OK on nice flat surfaces but on angles I had the misting problem.

Need to practice some more :!: with inexpensive varnish

MM
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

Yea vertical is a challenge..I got to have the light just right to see if I get it wet enough and not have the orange peel effect. I did an exterior cedar TV cabinet for a friend last year and finishes in Helmsman's spar urethane.
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Made it back from the mile. Tired, sunburned, and ready to get back to building!
Put the first coat of varnish on yesterday, sanded it and brought it in the house for the second coat. Needed better lighting and the dining room had just that.

This varnish is showing alot of imperfections. See the white spots between the fins. Guess I didn't get the glass saturated enough, thats a bummer. There are a few more spots like that. One of these days I will get this stuff figured out.
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Well, here it is.
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

Looks really good their Neon....How did it paddle?
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Like a hollow wood door with 2 fins lol!

Its not too bad. Its short so it does the side to side waddle. I am going to put 2 fins on the front also. I have done this on a couple other boards and it works pretty good. Then it will be multi directional! Could be paddled forward or backwards. I know that sounds kind of strange but it works pretty good for what we do. Let my sister take it down the river today. Now the bottom is all scratched up :( But at least that part is out of the way now.
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

Now the bottom is all scratched up But at least that part is out of the way now.

Now thats out of the way you can relax and enjoy, looks great, real nice job there.

MM
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

Neon.... that river looks to nice to spend any time working on you're next kayak project..... :D
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Well, I kind of have some bad news on this project. The bottom of the board suffered some more damage than what I first thought. There were 4 spots that I had to repair the fiberglass. Also several big dings or dents. It looked pretty dang bad. My wife freaked out and told my sister "What did you do? Hit every rock in the river" LOL!

So why did this happen? My Jem board prolly has 30 trips down the river in the last year and not suffered any significant damage at all. I have came to the conclusion that the cedar is just way to soft for slamming off rocks and stuff. A rock can dig into the soft wood and then just cut right thru the glass. Kind of like an iceberg did to the titanic :lol: Luckily I did a better job at building my boat than they did the titanic because mine did not take on any water. The Jem boards hull is made out of ply, which is thinner, harder, and much more stronger.

Lessons learned I guess. Looks like I am going to stick with ply for the hull of the Sabalo 12 and just use cedar on the deck and inside. Bummer thing this repair is eating into my next build and my river time.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Neon
Several of my boats are strip builds and they really hold up better for me than my ply boats.
Dont really know what to tell you unless she was in the water before the epoxy had time to cure out and get hard ,takes from two to three weeks for it to really cure.
Ron
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Ron, maybe that stuff was not cured yet. I wrapped this board with 4oz glass, do you think another layer on the bottom will help? Heck I will even put a layer of 6oz.
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

Looks as pretty as a piece of furniture. :clap:
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

I'd definitly go with the 6 oz, on my full strip hulls I'll usually double up on likely high impact/draggin area's plus a few coats of grafite.
As pretty as your bottom is (read boat bottom)once its on the water you don't see it.

MM
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

I am with MM
I never use less than 6 ounce.
I run rocky river just like you do.
Ron
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Ok, I will order some 6oz for the bottom and for the hull of the sabalo. Probably not going to glass it any time soon. I need to get past this build. Come back to it later. I still have to clean up the Jem board before the boat gathering. The 4 fin set up worked really good today, here are a few picks of my youngest boy Caden on the board today. He is a show off :)
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Took the board out the other day and look what happened. :D

And then this! lol!

awoodman

Post by awoodman »

Neon ..how do those boards handle in the wind, like a gust trying to blow you off? I can see they sit so low that they arent going to be affected by it much just what ever is on top catching wind....
neon14

Post by neon14 »

The wind can be pretty tough. Your body is basically a sail. Luckily the rivers I paddle on are mostly sheltered by the trees. I wouldn't want to be in open water with a 20mph wind unless it was a tail wind. The gust really are not as bad as you would think. Plus paddling standing up is not as efficient as sitting down. If I were to go out with a group of boats I would get left behind, especially if it was windy. But it sure is fun!
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

Neon I found this on another forum...

It's my skin-on-frame .....stand-up-paddleboard ....
http://www.kayakforum.com/cgi-bin/Build ... f-sot-sup/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Boardyak1.jpg
Boardyak2.jpg
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Thats a pretty tripped out board! Interesting design. I need to order some of that material to mess around with.
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

Another wood board..Looks like he used kayakfoundry to design it..
_MG_6911.jpg
SUP.jpg
http://www.kayakforum.com/cgi-bin/Build ... ts-glossy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

Neon this one's for you....Bullet racing SUP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfnV0nc7 ... ure=relmfu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
neon14

Post by neon14 »

That bullet SUP project is taking shape. Sounds like he is building it out of an old sailboat mast he salvaged out in the ocean somewhere.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 315&type=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;