Surfboard

neon14

Re: Surfboard

Post by neon14 »

Wow! To bad its the bottom! I like the way this looks. Cool thing about this is, you see the lighter boards? Last week I was at the boat ramp in Center Point and somebody dumped a bunch of crap in the park. When I went over to investigate there was a very nice piece of cedar laying right on top. I thru it in the back of my truck. One persons trash is another persons treasure. I just wish they would have not trashed the park.
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Its not glued on yet, just wanted to see what it looked like. Still have to a few things to do to the inside of the board.
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Having another clamping party! This is the last step for the inside of the board. Just wanted to give a little more area for the bottom to glue to. After this dried I finished coating the inside with epoxy. Probably be later on this week before I can work on it again. Tomorrow is already used up and Wednesday if it is nice I might actually go fishing for a few hours.
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Finally got the bottom glued on today! I clamped some pieces of wood to the board and drilled holes to drop nails thru to aid in gluing the panel on. This really worked out well.
Dad lined up the 2 nails in the back and I dropped the front down got it almost perfect. Didn't want the panel sliding around and stuff.
Looks like I got a pretty good bond. Cant wait till tomorrow. Its almost time for the rails!
neon14

Post by neon14 »

All trimmed out! Even temporarily put the handle on it. Sure made it a lot easier to carry around. Rail time!
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

Yea the rails..that's what I've been waiting to see..
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Well I found this cool birds mouth calculator on duck works http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/10/how ... /index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and thats when I ran into a problem. I figured that these rail strips would need to be pretty thin to make the bend. So Im thinking a 1/4" thick by 1/2" wide should work. If that were the case I would have one angle at about 10 degrees and the other at about 80 degrees, and it will also take 18 strips per side! If I were to use the standard 45 degree cut with 5 strips they would be something like 2" wide!!! To wide to bend, to wide to sand to a round shape without making them thicker. I decided to do away with the birds mouth idea on this one.

awoodman, I think you knew this was going to happen :lol:

So here is what I came up with. I cut some test pieces first.
18 individual strips 1/2" wide with a 5 degree angle on each side. Looks good, I think I will go with this.

So I cut some strips.
Last edited by neon14 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Yes I am inside the house, and yes the board is on the kitchen table. My wife seemed to take it ok.

Just making a test run at this to see if it will work. Looks promising. Need to cut some more strips, maybe this weekend I can get these glued up.
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

Yea Neon I knew.....I can see another night mare developing... joining half round ends with the half round sides... :lol:
You wouldn't think of just mitering them would you???
Nice radiused corners ha ha...
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Im not sure whats going to happen with the nose and tail yet. Mitering the nose sounds like a good idea. Could continue on with the 45 degree feather like the deck. But I still have to get past these rails first. Stupid rails. I thought this was going to be easy breezy. Not so. Went to Kerrville today, Lowe's has a good selection of cedar. Got another 2x4 and took it home and ripped it up. My wife took a pic of me headed in the house with the rest of the strips. Completely covered on saw dust.
For whatever the reason my wife seem to like it when I rip a bunch of cedar. She says I smell good :D
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Ok, things are moving along fairly smoothly. This has got to be one of the strangest looking deals I have ever came up with. Made these c-shaped looking clamps out of some old warped mdf I had in the shop. Between them, masking tape, and a strap I was able to get all the strips to bend perfectly around the board! This was pretty stressful. Before I could even get to this point I had to glue 18 strips of wood together, that = over 150 foot bead of glue! And I had to do it quickly before the glue started to dry. I will try to post some pics of this process when I build the other rail.

And the rail off the board. Will be giving it a sanding on the inside and then a layer of glass.
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

It is going to look ..real..good but....
I'm getting to old for any time consuming nightmare builds...better you than me....
neon14

Post by neon14 »

I said I would post some pics on how I built the rails. Decided to do this same method for the back of the board also so I made this small section.

Taped everything together.

Then flipped it over.

You can see how flexible it is.
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Glued between each strip.

And taped her onto the back of the board. Not going to do this on the nose, got something else planned.
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Also got the other rail done. They look pretty cool.

This is a neat pic. Still got some more sanding before I glass the inside of the rails. Want to get that excess glue off.

I would like to get the rails on this weekend. Ordered glass for the outside of the board yesterday. Also ordered glass for the next project, and plans.

THE NEXT PROJECT IS NOT GOING TO BE A STAND UP PADDLE BOARD!!! :D
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

Now you can build a tambour door for a roll-top desk with no problem.... :D

Those side rails are wild looking...
Carver
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Carver »

Great build and documentation.

Thanks for all the work to share it with us. Phill
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Ok, its official. The rails are on! I'm not going to go into a great deal of detail on this but I can tell you it was a pain in the rear end. I am never going to freakin do this again :lol: I guess when I glassed the inside of the rails they kind pulled in about a quarter inch. It was kind of tough to fit them in place. Had to sacrifice a butter knife for the cause. I hope my wife doesn't notice its missing.
I'm happy with the way the epoxy squeezed out of the joint when I pulled the straps tight.
The bottom of the board. This is a big day!
The butter knife.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Man your doing a bang up job on this build , looks fantastic.
:dance:
Ron
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Thanks guys for all the complements. Getting the back section ready for the back rail. Kind of looks like a space ship....sort of...maybe...but not for long.
The back rail went on pretty easy.
Things were going along good until this point. Got both tail corner blocks on and realized that the grain of the wood on the right corner was off by 10 degrees! I had cut the angle incorrectly. Luckily I noticed it tonight, was able to run out to the shop and cut another block and get it fixed. I would have been really not happy if I would have not caught that.
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

When I saw you had cut the rails even with the deck corners.... :( ..... I was hoping you were going to miter those half-round pcs. together...
neon14

Post by neon14 »

Sorry awoodman :( That would have looked cool. I'm just pushing hard to get this thing done. It still came out looking really good. Sanded for a couple hours today. All thats left is the nose. Gona sleep on it. Have a few ideas. We will see what happens.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

That looks good
Ron
Carver
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Carver »

Looking really good !
neon14

Post by neon14 »

When by the home depot yesterday and did a little exploring. Was looking for some type of vent. Found this in the pluming section.

It looks like a big giant chrome machine screw, but its plastic. And its flat on top. I figure it will work good as a vent. I will just loosen it up when I'm not using the board.