Trimming the duck

bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Trimming the duck

Post by bowgarguide »

Did a little paddling this weekend,

In this pic the nose is in the water up to the top of the slope ,giving me a full sixteen ft water line ,what is yalls opion on the trim do I need to trim the nose up more?
ron
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: Trimming the duck

Post by gerald »

Trimming the boat is a balancing act...literally. Generally you don't want to be bow down except for very short times under certain circumstances....such as making a quick turn around a stump, log, or buoy. Stern down makes tracking easier, but the more down you go in the stern the slower you'll get. So...you want to balance the trim to give you the combination of speed and tracking that works best for you.

By bow down or stern down I mean a fairly considerable amount. Minor variations in position will give you the handling characteristics that you want and are comfortable with. Only you know what those characteristics are. The trim in the picture doesn't look bad at all...for the type of boat it is.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Thanks Gerald.
I think I am going to take my gps and mark a distance with a couple jugs that should tell me what I want to know shifting weight foreward and back.
Ron
PS I think the boats you Darrel and Zeke paddle are much more pleasing to the eye
cadruss2004
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by cadruss2004 »

Ron,
That is a nice looking boat you have there.
To my eye she seems to be riding fine, the important part is how did she feel to you.
Cheers,
Russ
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Russ
She felt ok but so far I havent been able to paddle her in anywhere close to ideal conditions,on a Lake the first time with pretty good swell and white caps and a lot of wind,second time up river in swift water ,the last time down river with a heck of a head wind and rough water, I was pleased with the stability and performance in those conditions but I am still learning and having experienced paddler guide me the right way sure helps.
Ron
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Stuck in the Middle, Wadefish 15' -Heritage 9.5 Angler (OlllllO)

Post by Light Keeper's Kid »

She looks Fast :wink: Whens the first race :?: I want to come out and watch :mrgreen:

Mike
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Mike
I have a lot of paddling and finishing on this boat before I race her..

Ron