Got a deer last night....

gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Got a deer last night....

Post by gerald »

...a big one! 70 miles an hour, car coming toward me. Next thing I knew a deer appeared out of the other car's headlight glare right in front of me about 20 feet away. I swerved but it still took out the left headlight and mangled the bumper and fender. Rather than work on boats I had to spend 4 hours removing broken parts, beating everything back in place, and bolting it back up. Looks ok except for the big empty hole where the headlight and running lights are suppose to be and the door's dented just in front of the door handle. Now I've got to find the complete headlight/running light assembly...
TDD
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: Got a deer last night....

Post by TDD »

Boy that's agrivating ..... last one that I hit was right on the edge of the Cody Wy. city limits and I wasn't doing but around 45 ... still did 4K damage to my Tahoe. This was in the Galveston news today ...... an elk on 45 in Galveston :shock: :roll:

http://www.galvnews.com/story.lasso?ewc ... 51809930b5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.galvnews.com/story.lasso?ewc ... 6e6856dc0b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by DarrellS »

Gerald, Call these people,Pick and Pull auto parts in Elm Mott, Go out there and take it off yourself. Their prices are cheap.
bigfost
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by bigfost »

Welcome to the club. I hit mine in 1971 going 70 or 75 just outside of San Antonio. The damage came just short of totalling my new Chevy pickup.
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

DarrellS wrote:Gerald, Call these people,Pick and Pull auto parts in Elm Mott, Go out there and take it off yourself. Their prices are cheap.
Thanks Darrell--I'll do that. Right now I'm a very poor man...
Gary R.

Post by Gary R. »

69' driven with two members of my squad. to Ill. for tech school and reasignment. I am driving at around 60 mph, an the other two asleep in my Toyota, when I see something just to my right. Then THUMP! I had no idea what had happened but the guys woke up as I slowed down. After stopping, getting out of the car and walking around to the other side, there sticking out of the passangers door was a 6 points antler. This was in Pa. so the deer was not one our Texas Tiny's. I got the flashlight out of the glove compartment I walked back down the road. Denny was beind me and we came upon a very large buck laying on the shoulder. He was twitching and I told Denny to get my knife from my trunk, as I was going to slit his throat and stop his pain. When Denny got back I pulled the knife from it's sheath and stepped towared the buck.
Man, did he scare the outright CHIT out of me when he leaped up and stood there, legs wobbling, upper body swaying, head shakeing and looking right at me. He turned and stumbled into the woods.

I bet he was sore for a long time after that. Oh, and I had the antler up until a few yrs ago when I moved back to Texas for California.

Gary
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Gerald
Glad it just hurt the car and not you.
Ron
Firefly49
Location: Montgomery/Conroe, Texas WS Commander 14, WS Tarpon 140, OT Loon 160T, SrchrM1824

Post by Firefly49 »

I'm so glad you're alright......you were lucky!!!!!!1

Made me think of the old "Joe vs. the Deer" 911 call that went the rounds a few years ago......... maybe it'll give you a chuckle if you haven't heard it for awhile.........

http://www.entertonement.com/clips/rhqf ... r-911-Call" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TDD
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by TDD »

I still like the cop who thinks he and his wife are dead from the brownies :mrgreen:
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

Gerald,

Count yourself lucky. The deer could have moved in the wrong direction at the last moment and come crashing through the front windshield. I see lots of deer on my way home from work around midnight. I travel with my high beams on as much as I can and travel 55 mph. With the high beams, I can the deer's eyes reflecting back to me from my vehicles headlights. When I see them, I start slowing down. There is usually one deer in the crowd that will dart across the road when I get near.