Post by bowgarguide »

I have a pair of sea dog foot pegs ,how far up should they be mounted,
Ron
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: How High

Post by gerald »

I've seen a lot of them mounted too low. Wearing your normal paddling shoes you should sit in the boat and determine where the pad (ball) of your foot is. That is generally where you want the pad, or large part of the particular foot pegs you're using, of the foot peg assembly to be. Your heel will generally rest on the bottom or side of the boat. In some cases you may have to apply a foam pad under your heel to keep it from hurting--if you're in the boat a long time. Your paddling shoes may also be enough support under your heel. You're gonna be moving your foot all over the foot pad but when you get to some serious bracing conditions you're going to want the pad of your foot placed firmly on the foot peg. That's the position you mount it.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Gerald
Thanks for the prompt reply, Being an old Texan I usually paddle with some kind of boot on ,Measuring the way you suggested 7 inches looks like the middle of the ball and the middle of the peg. I think I will go with that. If I wear something else I can always add a pad for my heels.
Ron
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

I'm sure it's like everything else and a matter of personal preference. All mine are mounted 3 1/2 inches above the floor of my boat. That places the pad in the middle of the arch of my foot which is where I like it. I got that distance from my Ocean Kayak Big game.
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

...and that brings up another point that I failed to mention. The greatest criteria is that the foot peg placement feel comfortable to the individual paddling the boat. 7" does sound a little high, but it may not be. When you sit with your legs extended, knees slightly bent, you usually splay your feet out a bit. That would put the ball of your foot a little lower. Some people use the arch more than others. A standard measurement--which we really don't have--is just that: a standard from which we work. Innovation is what has separated us from the cavemen....

...and this is so easy even a caveman can do it....
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

gerald wrote:...and that brings up another point that I failed to mention. The greatest criteria is that the foot peg placement feel comfortable to the individual paddling the boat. 7" does sound a little high, but it may not be. When you sit with your legs extended, knees slightly bent, you usually splay your feet out a bit. That would put the ball of your foot a little lower. Some people use the arch more than others. A standard measurement--which we really don't have--is just that: a standard from which we work. Innovation is what has separated us from the cavemen....

...and this is so easy even a caveman can do it....

I just had a mental picture of Gerald . . . . .