Verlen kruger ?

DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Verlen kruger ?

Post by DarrellS »

Anyone ever seen an upclose picture of how Verlen attached the fiberglass rods to his boats to form a Catamaran? That would be the bomb for standing and casting.
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: Verlen kruger ?

Post by gerald »

Verlin Kruger--one of my heros. I've seen some of his canoes and kayak in person but never seen up close how they do the attachment for putting two canoes together. His idea of boat design was to design a boat that did what he wanted it to do and then improve it over the years. He also wanted them to be indestructible, or as close to, which is why they are a little heavier. Verlin was rooted totally in practicality and utility. A great way to be.
I agree that this would be a very practical option....
DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by DarrellS »

Since I am layed up at the moment Ron loaned me "All Things Possible". I sat up last night and read the whole book. The man was simply amazing. Ron also loaned me Valerie Nors book about their trip around Baja, which I am about to start.
Phishtech
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Phishtech »

DarrellS wrote:Since I am layed up at the moment Ron loaned me "All Things Possible". I sat up last night and read the whole book. The man was simply amazing. Ron also loaned me Valerie Nors book about their trip around Baja, which I am about to start.
If you're laid up, how are you gonna paddle around Baja??? :roll:
DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by DarrellS »

Which I am about to start.... reading. :)
RockyHeadlands

Post by RockyHeadlands »

I have seen many Monarchs and SeaWinds with the catamaran pole attachment. Many just use the single pole although some use one on the forward end of the cockpit and near the stern cockpit lip.
In it's simplest form a slightly oversized fiberglass tube is glassed into place using strands of Kevlar rope though I suspect fiberglass strands pulled from woven roving would work just as well. Two holes are drilled under the lip on both sides of the cockpit and the tube is cut about 1/2 inch longer than the distance between the holes. Take some saturated "rope" and simply wrap it around the sleeve on the inside and outside of the cockpit lip on both sides. The catamatan or connecting pole itself slides inside the mounted pole. Let me know if you need any more details. They work great

D Trigg
RockyHeadlands

Post by RockyHeadlands »

Great to see a few Verlen Kruger fans out there. I was lucky enough to have paddled with both he and Valerie over the years and am the proud owner of a Loon, several Monarchs and a SeaWind. Most of our paddling is in the Everglades (about a month each year) and up on Lake Superior on Isle Royale and in Pukaskwa National Park in Ontario. The boats are great. Anyone that would like to part with any of Verlen boats let me know - I'm always in the market.
Spent 10 days on the Slate Islands this summer and 13 days paddling around Isle Royale. Cool temperatures and giant lake trout. Had some luck with flounder, trout and redfish on Copano Bay this past weekend. Keep in touch
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

A friend of mine came down from Lansing last year and did a trip on the Brazos with me,he also knew Verlan ,didnt know Valorie ,he had paddled with him some and said he was a tough dude to stay up with.
About three months ago I had the pleasure of paddling a sea wind,heck of a crusier.
Ron
DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by DarrellS »

Thanks for the info RockyHeadlands. I am seriously considering trying ths on a couple of my boats. I have got to find the rest of Verlen's books. They are hard to put down once you start reading one.
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

I just finished reading his online biography. I wish I could have met this man. He was a man's man and a Godly man.
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

The original boat that Verlen designed was called the "Loon" built by Sawyer Canoes.
Then he increased the volume in the stern of the design and the next version was called the "Monarch", built by MadRiver Canoes.
Then he opened his shop in Michigan and started building the boats himself -
SeaWind, Dreamcatcher, & Cruiser
They have all, always been the same 17' canoe hull with different decks
Kruger was one KEWL dude !!
met him at a party hosted by Bruce & Charles at Canoesports many years ago