Foot peg mounts

bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Foot peg mounts

Post by bowgarguide »

I am really not to crazy about drilling a hole thru the boat to mount the pegs. Is there a disadvantage to mounting them inside the boat?
Ron
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Foot peg mounts

Post by Pogo »

No, not really. I made up interior mounts for the rails on my first two boats.

I think drilling thru-hull is lightest, strongest, and most economical of interior space, and is what I use now. So far nobody had seen them and barfed. But I might just be lucky.

Ka-ching! Pogo's $0.02
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

I, too, have a reluctance to drill near-waterline holes into my brand new baby. Any pix available of a rail mounted rig up? thanks Rich
TexaRican
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by TexaRican »

I did not want to drill through the hull either so I just added some wood thick enough to sink T-nuts in. Not that pretty but far cheaper than those specialty mounts they make for doing the same thing. Plus, in my big boat taking an extra half inch of space was not an issue.

bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Yea what Rich said some pics from the guys on here.
Ron
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Easy. Take a chunk of scrap cedar, drill a hole of the same radius your adjustable foot brace rails have on their ends, cut chunk in two. Round off edges of chunks to present toe-friendly surfaces to inside of boat, glue in with slightly thickened epoxy (say, mustard consistency), chase with small fillets if you want extra strength (mine never failed without 'em). Pieces of thin (1/16" x 3/4") aluminum bar keep the rails from falling out.

Yes, the photo's upside-down, and yes, that's a mud dauber nest in that boat. Busted! Shame on me. :oops:
Last edited by Pogo on Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Thanks Pogo
What kind of pegs are those?
Would there be an advantage to setting the pegs upright instead of following the shape of the hull ,looks like your feet wouldnt have to twist and might be more comfortable on a long paddle?
Ron
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Those are Keepers brand. I recommend either the Sea Dogs, like Duckworks sells, or aluminum Yakimas, which is what I rely on in my sea kayaks because I break plastic ones quickly with my rolling and other horsing around.

Most folks, myself included, want the part of the foot that get used when you stand tippy-toe to be on the foot brace pedals, that's why they're mounted high up on the sides. I suppose some prefer to keep more of the arch of the foot on 'em, and maybe some even their heels. But I feel like the most control is gonna be with the top ends. I guess that's what people mean when they say the "balls of your feet". That term never was clear to me, seems like the heel or ankle resembles a ball a lot more. :?
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Thanks for the pix...but...what I was hoping to see was something mounted on a canoe or kayak (Royalex material) and totally affixed to the underside of the gunnel rail..or perhaps to the thwart. Gluing permanently to the Royalex is near impossible, I have been led to believe.

If I have to design something myself ......then I'd guess I'd best start with the foot-brace rig in hand. Anyone locally ( Houston area) who sells the Yakima that you recommend?

thanks very much and regards, Rich
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Gerald is getting me a set of sea dogs.
Ron
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Rich, when it comes to boat building, or even just modifying, best just get used to mail-order. Buying locally is either impossible, or ends up over-priced and sub-quality.

I have a friend who laid in his Yakima rails in a bed of 3M 5200 a few years ago and they're still there. That's in a fiberglass canoe. Go ahead and try the same thing in the Royalex; if it doesn't want to stick, then at least it'll be easy to scrape clean. But that 5200 is pretty wicked stuff, bet it'd do ya.
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

I have the Ocean kayak braces in 6 boats and they all work good. But I go through the hull. Pepperfool's idea seems like it would work well if you want to avoid drilling the hull.

http://www.austinkayak.com/catalog_sear ... oot+braces" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Pogo...funny you should mention 5200. I used tons of it back when I messed about with PBs.

I just,.... on this Saturday!!...... bought my first tube in years..... to fill in a few decorative lines on the 12 ft. Dinghy that I put up for sale in the classified section...A few lines had pulled out over the 16 year age of that boat. See pix below.

Now I have a half-tube just sitting on the shelf, looking for a project. I'll do a "stick test" on the Royalex if it ever stops raining!!!!!

Thanks for the idea. regards, Rich

richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

OK I am going to give the 3M 5200 a stick test soon. If that works, the job is easy.

Now..... what foot brace brands are the easiest to adjust from a seated position?? I can see many times where, as I fish and paddle along, I might want the pedals to be higher or lower. So, I don't want to have to stop and get out to make an adjustment.. I won't be doing any white-water and won't give them any particularily hard use..I hope!

I presume that some brand or another allows easy adjustment while still seated??? if so, what are the brand name(s), please? I am old, stiff and don't get around like I did years ago, so ease of use is paramount. Ha Ha ...
thanks, Rich
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Rich
You have me confused here I thought the foot pegs just adjusted forward and back?
I have to admitt it doesnt take a lot to get me confused.
Ron
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Don't put away the booze yet, Ron, you're doing fine. Foot braces adjust forward and aft, not up and down. The Sea Dog foot braces are hands-down the easiest to adjust from the seated position.

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/ca ... /index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Yes, when I said "higher or lower" I meant closer or further. Sorry about that.

OK Which one of our sponsors carries the SeaDog brand?? Should I just order off of the LINK that you gave me?

From their site, I presume I can I get black adjusting rods and pedals....AND glue on mounting? I like the idea that, if I add a rudder...then I can just use these same pedals..That is a big help for future planning.

I am sure glad that you started this thread....!!!
thanks Rich
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

S' okay, figured that's what you meant. Ron's just trying to make trouble. He's like that, y' know. :P

Gerald moderates and sponsors this forum, and sells the Sea Dog braces if I'm not mistaken. I cite the Duckworks e-mag and boat builders supply site because I believe everyone who builds boats ought to be aware of them, and because it's a truly excellent outfit run by people I just love .... Texans, too; they're at Harper, which is just west of Fredericksburg.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

pm sent to Gerald. rich
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Ok I need to rephrase part of this question, the boats sides flair out so when you are on the pegs
your feet are leaned out. would it be more comfortable to have the pegs where they are straight instead of leaned?
Ron
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

I'd have to say it's all about personal preference .... but .... my own empirical experience tells me men find the pegs mounted to the flared hull sides to be naturally ergonomically comfortable. Men tend to sit with their knees apart, and toes pointed outwards to a more or less degree. Women, on the other hand, tend to make do with the arrangement, and naturally prefer to sit with knees together and toes pointed more or less straight up. I've seen at least two cases where women found a typical kayak foot brace arrangement intolerably uncomfortable and had to devise an alternate way. I've never, ever seen a man complain about 'em. Male surfski and K1 paddlers tend to require being instructed to point their toes straight up, and keep their knees together, for best balance and technique. Women are naturals in these boats.

Does that help at all?
Firefly49
Location: Montgomery/Conroe, Texas WS Commander 14, WS Tarpon 140, OT Loon 160T, SrchrM1824

Post by Firefly49 »

Yeah....it helped bring to my attention that I don't sit like a "lady" :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: The only thing I believe I would prefer on two of my yaks would be a slightly larger surface area on the footpegs...
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

First the seat is to narrow and now the foot pegs are to narrow .What are you trying to tell us Firefly
:shock: Opps put that gun up.
I have a leg injury that made me learn to walk a certain way,toes straight to the front,regular yaks that lean out are not comfortable to me so I think I am going to instal mine straight up,I can always roll my heels and get a lean to my feet,thanks Pogo.
Ron
barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

:D Interesting response, Ron. As a result of injuries (and prior training) the "toes out" position is really much more comfortable to me. In fact the old highway test "walk a straight line" is a challenge for me stone cold sober @ 9 AM, on a Tuesday! And we ain't even going to the "stand on one foot" thing!
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Normally you can install the footpegs up or down in the hull to give you a more straight up and down foot position. I set my feet in all positions but usually do let them splay out a bit.