Help please, with describing and pricing a dinghy for sale.

richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Help please, with describing and pricing a dinghy for sale.

Post by richg99 »

About 16 years ago, I bought a fiberglass and teak rowing and sailing dinghy from a builder near Clear Lake. The boat has served me well in my back yard pond all of that time. I recently picked up a can-yak ( 12 ft Old Town Canoe rigged as a kayak). I can now see that..... with my paddle-boat; another canoe; and my can-yak...that this original dinghy isn't going to get used much anymore.

My dilemma is that I don't really know how to describe..... nor how to price it. Is it a rowing dinghy? Is it a sailing dingy ( I don't have sails, but the boat does have a center-board trunk.) It is 12 feet long; five feet in beam..made of fiberglass with some beautiful teak trim on the fore and aft decks.

It weighs approximate 180 lbs. I know I had, at one time, two big guys, totaling over 500 lbs on board. We were cramped, but the boat carried the weight really well. How might I estimate its weight carrying capacity?

It doesn't have flotation, but there is plenty of room in the fore and aft deck areas to add flotation. Is this something that i should do myself...or let the new buyer deal with it?

What about "registration". Since I 've only had it on our private lake...no numbers have ever been applied for. I can't find the original bill of sale at all.

When I bought it, the builder said that he had used the hull as a "mold" for other fiberglass boats, and when he was done with that project...he finished this one off with the really beautiful teak. I guess it could still be used as a mold if one wanted to do that. I added a skeg shortly after I bought it, so that it would track better when being rowed.

I've completely re-painted the boat, and re-oiled the teak this week.

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I've never sold anything like this before. What might be a reasonable price?

thanks for any and all input. Rich

p.s. Picture attached. better ones are coming, but not with the rain today. This pix was taken years ago for a photo contest..