10-11-09 ILSP Messabout Report

Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

10-11-09 ILSP Messabout Report

Post by Pogo »

There was a technical delay in issuing this report. I didn't want to come home. But now that I'm finally tied up back in home port, I've jumped through the hoops required to present a few pictures.

First, a few interesting boats in one lucky shot: The white solo canoe is a genuine lapstrake job, although departing from strictly traditional in that it's built with okoume plywood. This boat was so well done it looked fake, or at least factory made. Light too; it weighed well under thirty pounds. Simply elegant! My Merlin is behind it, then the green boat is the screw-drive guy I highlighted in my last Messabout report, only substantially improved. The other white boat, in the background, is Skip Johnson of Houston, who placed well in the '09 CR-100 in the boat you see here. It's foam core composite, a pretty little hull shape of of his own design, quite light and exceedingly tough. Talk about innovative. I'm guessing 15' x 30", ~28 lbs.

This next one was just unbelievable .... it belonged in Mystic Seaport Museum or something!

Here it is again....

Last photo: I liked this guy's style. He was a young fella from Bandera who evidently bought a book and built a very neo-classic Michalak design which I disremember because I'm old and senile and this was like two weeks ago, etc., but I can quickly look it up if anyone's interested. Anyway, it was a joy to behold, and the owner spent way more time out on the lake "messing about" than standing on dry land jaw-jacking about boats like the rest of us. But hey, the weather kind of sucked, although I have to note that we're getting used to it in this business.... :roll: This is a good old caulk-and-latex boat, not a fiberglass and epoxy one. Plastic tarp sail. What's not to love about it?

The yellow boat behind him is a Michalak "Toto" on its maiden voyage. There was a pair of them that were finished in the nick of time for this "show", and launched for the first time right there in front of God and everybody. I took the opp to paddle one of them, and can say it's a very nice design. But I had already expected as much just from eyeballing the shape of the hull.

My Merlin is looking pretty gnarly after three weeks of steady Hill Country river fishing and absolutely NO care, but will yet show well anywhere if I do say so myself. Yes, I am mighty proud of her. 8)

Here are lots more pics -- enjoy! http://www.flickr.com/photos/lansdownes ... 476396119/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: 10-11-09 ILSP Messabout Report

Post by preacher »

That is a good report, thanks. I really liked the pic of the 2 yaks and 2 canoes on shore and the 2 OLD GEEZERS standing behind them talking. :twisted:
Dogpaddlin

Post by Dogpaddlin »

Thanks for the report, I enjoyed the slide show.

Just out of curiousity, how long is your Merlin?
Phishtech
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Phishtech »

Good to see you back in the land of insanity. I've got some lures for you.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

Kurt,

Great photos. :D And your "down home" commentary to go along with the photos can't be beat either. 8) Always a pleasure to read your posts. :)
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Dogpaddlin, she's 15'-6" x 29" x 33 lbs.

http://www.shop.northwestcanoe.com/prod ... ductId=112" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.northwestcanoe.com/canoes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Phish, great to hear! I'm anxious to see 'em, and eager to get to my fly tying bench to whip out some balsa poppers that will be greatly improved based on recent experience. I have more pics of the Totos if you want to see 'em. It's a fun boat to paddle, never found anything to dislike about handling, stability, etc. I stood up in it because the owner was worrying about it being tippy, only problem there is that the sloping bilge panels prevent you from placing your feet as wide apart as you might prefer, and your stance on the flat bottom panel is pretty narrow. Something to think about with any 5-panel boat if you wish to stand, I guess. Small skegs had been added to tighten up tracking, seemed to work well and not hindering turning too much.
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Stuck in the Middle, Wadefish 15' -Heritage 9.5 Angler (OlllllO)

Post by Light Keeper's Kid »

:clap: Thanks for the Report and Pics :clap: Your the new "Texas Country Boat Reporter" :lol:

Mike