Sun damage - learned the hard way

TexaRican
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Sun damage - learned the hard way

Post by TexaRican »

Looks like I'll be doing some premature refinishing of my Texas flats canoe. :oops: The cooler weather got me to thinking about spending a weekend down at my FIN's trailer on Powderhorn so I went out to pull the boat from "covered storage". I had the boat wrapped in a 14' tarp and hanging on my fence behind a locked gate down the side of my garage. No reason to go back there for the last couple of months as I have not been fishing. 16' boat, 14' tarp, you can probably guess what happened. Only the stern was exposed. There are no visible signs of damage to the epoxy/graphite hull but the rubrail and part of the deck look about 10 years old. All was made from Meranti/Hydrotek marine ply and coated with epoxy and then varnish. The grain is so raised up and dried out I could probably scrape it away with a fingernail.

I knew sun exposure was not a good thing and honestly intended to move the boat before now but that dang golf bug got me. Oh well, I've got plenty of epoxy and ply left. Is there any other type of finish I could apply that might be more durable?
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Sun damage - learned the hard way

Post by preacher »

Isn't that unusual, that quick? I would think it would take a year or so of direct exposure. Can't wait to see what our experts say.

Isn't this a good excuse to build your next boat? "Gosh, Honey, _______________ !" Fill in the blank :roll:
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Yes...that is a bit unusual. I would venture to say that the varnish used probably had inadequate UV protection. However another scenario suggests itself. Any time you wrap something up where moisture and water can condense or otherwise stand on the epoxy surface for long periods of time in combination with UV rays, etc., you can get some damage. It is best to store wood composite boats with plenty of air flow around them. I remove my hatches when I put by boats up so they can also air out.
True sun damage will take on the appearace of orange peel, blisters, or a really bad case of epoxy "shingles". That takes a longer period of direct sun upon unprotected epoxy. Water standing on the surface will increase the damage.
TexaRican
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by TexaRican »

preacher wrote:Isn't that unusual, that quick? I would think it would take a year or so of direct exposure. Can't wait to see what our experts say.

Isn't this a good excuse to build your next boat? "Gosh, Honey, _______________ !" Fill in the blank :roll:
Next boat or reconstruction of this one? Honestly, I've grown more and more unhappy with the weight of the beast and that is part of the reason it has sat unused. Considering doing a little trimming to see if I can make her more manageable. Turns out I did not really need decks and storage fore and aft. Also put way too much interior paint. I'm thinking I'll get a little Oct/Nov fishing in, then bring it in the garage for a winter makeover. Yank those beefy rubrails and replace with something a little smaller and lighter. Get rid of the decks and hatchs then sand/peel/burn out that non-skid interior paint and replace with a really light spray-on finish. I'll bet I can get at least 10lbs out of it and I have enough lefover materials from the first build so it won't cost me anything but time.

Then if I totally screw up, the wife will have to understand the necessity of a replacment. :D