Epoxy Question

PlanoDano

Epoxy Question

Post by PlanoDano »

Should one use a different expoxy formualtion (ie medium vs. slow) if building in Winter? I live in the Noth Texas area if this would matter.
T-Bart

Re: Epoxy Question

Post by T-Bart »

Temperature might affect shelf life, but it should say on the bottles. I live in Houston, so my concern was always the humidity, but I think any epoxy will still work well, it might feel tacky a little longer but it still cures well.
mrkm1010
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by mrkm1010 »

Can you thin epoxy with acetone like you can fiberglass resin?
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Lots of folks build boats up north during snowy winters in sheds, garages, and back porches, and use the same epoxy formulations we do down here on the Gulf Coast. It can take a little longer to fully harden is all, but they often heat their shop, or warm the boat with a set of work lights and tarp to help it kick. You can buy quicker-cure hardeners, but I never hear of "mainstream" boat builders using them.

Epoxy almost doesn't have a shelf life. You can pull a dusty old set of bottles down that haven't been touched in fifteen years, and all that's changed is the resin has yellowed. But after thirty or more, then it can start getting kind of punky. Yes, sigh, I know this from first-hand experience. The stuff lasts a very long time.

Humidity is not a problem with epoxy, as long as you don't have actual moisture collecting on surfaces. It cures in a chemical reaction, doesn't "dry" like paint.

You can thin epoxy with acetone, but it compromises strength and flexibility. If you want to know more, try it! Just make up a small test sample and have at it. There are quite a lot of questions that get asked on boat building forums that would be a lot more definitely answered by simple testing. Often, few others really know, and most answers are opinions anyway. Besides, doing the tests is kinda fun.
Iamdamoder
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Iamdamoder »

Some folks gently warm epoxy to thin it. I'd try that before the solvents. It definitely gets thicker when it is cold.
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Yep, but it's a funny balancing act. When you warm it, it gets thinner .... but it also kicks faster. But you definitely have the right idea when you say to 'gently' warm it.
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Well...pogo and Iamdamoder covered that pretty well. Not much to add. I've mostly used the very slow, non blushing epoxy summer and winter. During the winter I just let it cure 3 or 4 days. This winter I'm going to try a little faster mix so I don't have to keep the stove burning all the time.

I hate it when there's nothing more to add to a thread....
PlanoDano

Post by PlanoDano »

Thanks all.