upgrades to the jug boat

TexasZeke

upgrades to the jug boat

Post by TexasZeke »

Finally got around to adding some of the things I've been meaning to to the boat. First I installed 4 cleats so I'd have some places I could tie off quick, plus I can run a cable through if I need to lock it to the truck. I installed a couple of rod holders, ok, so they are really dog collars but the work. Thena few of Rons soft pad eyes. And to finish it off so I can quit hunting for a ruler I glue a yard stick to the side. One thing I'm finding about wood boats, want to add something. Glue on a block and add it, want to move it, grind it off and move it

kevin
Dogpaddlin

Re: upgrades to the jug boat

Post by Dogpaddlin »

Very cool Zeke, what is the yellow under the deck?
TexasZeke

Post by TexasZeke »

my insurance policy. I tied a pool noodle under each deck just in case

kevin
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

TexasZeke wrote:my insurance policy. I tied a pool noodle under each deck just in case

kevin
Very smart. Most people don't realize how important something like that is. I congratulate you!
Dogpaddlin

Post by Dogpaddlin »

I thought the wood in out boats was supposed to float. I am confused, is this something I should incorporate in my builds?
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

My two cents, and I'm preaching to the congregation here: Stop wondering and find out. Swamp your boat and find out exactly what happens for yourself! Sure, most boats will float, but it can be a relative term. Your craft may not necessarily head straight for the bottom like a miniature Titanic, yet what is left at the surface may be marginal as even a mere personal flotation device. And what about all the stuff inside it?

The smart money builds in watertight compartments for dry storage and unimpeachable flotation. Beckson hatches are inexpensive, easy to install, and VERY effective. But guess what -- my canoe does NOT have them, I was in too big a hurry to hit the water in it, and wanted to keep weight down too. I'll never skip them again (oof, I said 'never' just then, didn't I?). But my ocean-going sea kayaks ALL have them. Boats are life-support equipment, if you get right down to it.
Last edited by Pogo on Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TexasZeke

Post by TexasZeke »

The wood will float, but then you add cloth, resin, and whatever non-floating rigging you do. If you took the boat and completely filled it with water I would guess that at best it wouldn't sink to the bottom, but might float even with the surface of the water. Add the weight of whatever rigging and gear you have on board and it might head to the bottom. Now all of this is assuming that you do not have watertight compartments. I don't, so if I was to knock a great big hole in the bottom mine would head for the bottom. I weigh around 200lbs and a noodle will keep me up so I figure 2 should float between 350/400lbs.

Even if I had compartments, I would stuff a couple of noodles in them. You would loose a little space but could save a boat. just my thoughts

kevin
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Kevin, sounds like you're really using your noodle! :lol: :idea:
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

I have water tight hatches on all my boats but they all have sections of pool noodles shoved in the bow and stern.
Ron