Just like a women

bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Just like a women

Post by bowgarguide »

Ok miss Firefly you have made your grand entrance ,so how about your report on the Trinity Race.
Oh and the topic wording was Randys Ideal
:shock:
Ron
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Stuck in the Middle, Wadefish 15' -Heritage 9.5 Angler (OlllllO)

Re: Just like a women

Post by Light Keeper's Kid »

:shock: This is Ron getting the beat down :horse:

Mike
Firefly49
Location: Montgomery/Conroe, Texas WS Commander 14, WS Tarpon 140, OT Loon 160T, SrchrM1824

Post by Firefly49 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, I learned some things! 1) NEVER change out a seat unless you having plenty of time to try it before a race!!! I'd mentioned in Dogpaddlin's post about that. I really believed I needed a seat that would give me more lumbar/back support. WRONG! :shock: :shock: This new seat was about 1/2" higher, and a LOT narrower than the full custom seat Gerald had on it. Not that my butt is so big that is was hanging off, but I found bracing with the power strokes put me on the edge and the yak was tippy as all get out 'cause I had to spend my time adjusting for correct posture and balance. Whew! 2) I need a lighter paddle and better paddling skills, and 3) I'm still thinking about one of those neat toe-response rudders; but believe me, NOT until the boatmaker himself puts his stamp of approval that it'll work on his design!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, well.....that's how we learn, right????? No big deal. Gerald's seat will go back in for long paddles and racing.....I'll put the other one in when I want to spend a day fishing and leaning back relaxing!!!

The Trinity Challenge Race was 11.8 miles; 5.9 upstream and 5.9 back to the start/finish. The current wasn't bad other than the "washing machine" effect the first mile and then a few of the narrower areas of the course; some crosswinds towards the top, and some headwinds in areas on the return.

By the last three miles, I'd FINALLY overtaken these three guys in rec's that I'd been following from the start and scooted on past.....by this time thinking "WHAT THE HELL WAS A 60 YEAR OLD WOMAN DOING, DRIVING 560 MILES ROUND TRIP TO GO TO A STUPID RACE TO GET SORE HANDS, A SORE BUTT and totally exhausted???????!!!".

A few more of these under my belt and next year??????? I want to finish the CR100 :!: Whaddaya' think :?:

Results:

First Place - Veteran Divison (60-69)
Third Place - Solo Touring Kayak Class
2:49:19
IMG_0152.jpg
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

:clap: CONGRATS :clap:

Mike
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Congratulations
Sounds like you are getting to the point where you can judge what works for you ,and that is a major step. I dont know if I want to try the 100 or not ,need more short races under my belt first.
Again congratulations.You represented TKF well.
Ron
Mike I think she bought the statement about Randy are is to tired to care. :dance:
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

I think it's the tired part :lol:

Mike
DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by DarrellS »

Congrats and very well done Firefly.

Darrell
Firefly49
Location: Montgomery/Conroe, Texas WS Commander 14, WS Tarpon 140, OT Loon 160T, SrchrM1824

Post by Firefly49 »

Wow, thanks!! I had a lot of encouragement from some of you veterans and I appreciated that:lol:

I forgot to post up something very important, too. I met another TKFer at the race!!!! Steve Watson. Now Steve is one of the true racers and just one heck of a nice guy. He paddles one of those long, skinny racing sea kayaks........ya' know, the ones who are already a mile downriver before everyone even crosses the Start line!!!!! He does the USCA/TCRA course -- 9.4 miles up and back -- almost 19 miles total!!!! I don't remember what his finish time was, but I believe he came in 2nd and his time was probably way under 2 hrs (??)-- they don't have the results posted yet for me to check.

Congrats, Steve. I enjoyed meeting you and your friend! :) If you see this, Steve, speak up and fill in all my blanks and guesses!!!!!!
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Congratulations FireFly!!!
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: Kayak Featherlite 9.5 Mini-x Predator K140, Percption Swifty,Necky Zoar Angler

Post by Randy »

yes mam, really really proud of ya,,,,Congratulations FireFly49!!!
Pink Lady

Post by Pink Lady »

Wow, that is so awesome. Congratulations!
Dogpaddlin

Post by Dogpaddlin »

Well done!!!
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Well done! Great time. Heck--I would have been happy with that time. You'll get things sorted out and just cruise right along. I promise I'll make more races with you next year if you still do this sort of thing.
Firefly49

Post by Firefly49 »

Well Gerald.......you just got yourself in deep doo-doo with that remark so you might as well start planning the races now!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Me? I've got lot's of work to do to find out just what it is that "works" for me, improve my lack of good paddling skills... and get some experience instead of floundering around making corrections. I think I'm totally hooked :!: I had so much fun! :lol: :lol: :lol: The CR 100?? If I could just finish it......I'd be happy. (sigh).
blazinpaddles

Post by blazinpaddles »

FINALLY you have taken all the advice and hours of instruction by me and DONE GOOD. LOL :lol:
I AM VERY PROUD OF YOU!!! There was no doubt you can do. If I would stop trying to catch specks and reds I may be able to do 1/2 of what you do.
blazinpaddles
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Who dat? Hard to tell, it's just a BLUR!! :shock:

Want more pics? Here ya go! 8)

http://picasaweb.google.com/tdignan8/TRCXIV#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Cool Pics
Thanks Pogo
Ron
Firefly49

Post by Firefly49 »

Thanks for the link to the pic's, Pogo!! My camera battery went dead after about 3 pic's and I didn't have backup.......I was so-o-o disappointed not to have photos of everything!!
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

If only I could have been there with my Vapor. Everyone would have turtled from my wake.
FATRABBIT

Post by FATRABBIT »

Congrats :clap:
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

Your Bad .... :clap: :clap: You have really jumped on the Band Wagon Girl
swatson

Post by swatson »

Miss firefly, if i had known you would be telling race stories over in the boat building i should have found out sooner. Friend of mine, Barry, said he saw my name and had to set you straight.

Dont believe whatever he posted.

You did great. Got you a prize and paddled very well, congrats. Gerald builds a nice boat but it looks allot better with you paddlin. Nothing againist Gerald, but...

I did the short course cause i was in a 18 foot sea kayak. Got beat fair and square. Bill had more horsepower than me and i just could not catch him.

Need to get you some carbon fiber on that paddle. Wing would be even better for you.

Was great to meet you. Keep doing those races and we will clear you out some better cut thrus in the Neches race next year.

Sign up early for the CR100 and do there practice runs. Mike Drost does a great job with this race and its so much fun to paddle. Well, to Smithville anyway.

Keep up the good work, you did excellent.

s