Building a boat looks so complex...

living4fishing

Building a boat looks so complex...

Post by living4fishing »

I have been viewing boat builder post for a few days now and it really looks hard to build one of these kayaks. I was just wondering how much would do I need to build a simple fishing kayak and what is the stich and glue method.

Thanks
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Stuck in the Middle, Wadefish 15' -Heritage 9.5 Angler (OlllllO)

Re: Building a boat looks so complex...

Post by Light Keeper's Kid »

It is a matter of learning the terms,witch isn't that hard and the building process of S&G isn't that hard this sould help you learn the terms and process. Hope this helps :wink:

Mike

http://www.jemwatercraft.com/forum/view ... 203e63fa51" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Looking at finished boats is overwhelming, that's a cinch; but you don't do everything all at once. Mike's right: boat building is just a matter of learning a bunch of small things .... one at a time .... until they all eventually add up to a boat. A time-honored way to begin is by ordering a book on the subject and spending several evenings/weeks/months/years - whatever your own personal speed may be - flipping through the pages. These days, it's several evenings/weeks/months/years clicking among various web sites and soaking up the lore bit by bit. I happen to think books are badly underrated any more.

Once you actually get started, no matter how much or how little research you may have invested in it, it becomes a mere matter of tackling one small job at a time, until you run out of small jobs to tackle, then you go paddling. Disregard the big picture, and focus on the task at hand. Each small step you complete gives you confidence and momentum.

It is true of both noobs and veteran builders alike: "The hardest part about building a boat is getting started."

And as one of my mentors always says: "It's only hard when you don't know how."

Besides, sitting around watching bad TV will never give you a cool new toy you can play with for years to come. 8)
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Bassin
It cant be to hard even Pogo can build one.
Ron
Iamdamoder
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Iamdamoder »

bowgarguide wrote:Bassin
It cant be to hard even Pogo can build one.
Ron

He is sposta be building one. That hot excuse won't fly anymore. At least not today in the Hillcountry.
barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

Pogo wrote:...I happen to think books are badly underrated any more.
Besides, sitting around watching bad TV will never give you a cool new toy you can play with for years to come. 8)
:clap: Two pearls of wisdom in one post! Very good! :clap:
ojdidit

Post by ojdidit »

barditch wrote:
Pogo wrote: Besides, sitting around watching bad TV will never give you a cool new toy you can play with for years to come. 8)
I gotta TV in my shop :oops:
living4fishing

Post by living4fishing »

How much would the materials and wood run me, and thanks for the information so far.

Basssin
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

bassinkayakman wrote:How much would the materials and wood run me, and thanks for the information so far.

Basssin
This depends entirely upon what kind of boat you want to build. I can build a boat for less than $100 on up to $1500 or more. That's material costs only. A good average would be $500 to $800 for a very nice boat. Kits would be from $800 on up to probably $1200 for the same boat. The material is not the major cost. Time is--and if it's your own boat--you have all the time in the world....
Dogpaddlin

Post by Dogpaddlin »

Bassin,

I second what Pogo said and as a new boat builder I can tell you about my experience. I built my first boat this year, it is a 14.5 ft pirogue that is based on the Uncle John's Plans. Don't be intimidated by the process, there is nothing difficult about it. If you do run into something you need help with this board has a wealth of knowledge and they are always willing to help. The one thing you need to have before you start a build is desire, if you want to build your own boat you can. I built my pirogue using nothing but a jig saw, skill saw, and a sander. It took me about 3 months to finish it and I probably have $300 invested in it.
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Cost is exactly what got me started building my own boats. Once upon a time I wanted to get a pretty good boat both for me, and the lady in my life (at the time), and had $600 to work with. That was enough for one fairly decent boat. So I got out a hammer and a saw and went to work, ended up with two top-flight boats for $650. DANG those cost overruns!

Keep in mind start-up costs. You know the drill, if you get into kayaking and buy a kayak, that ain't the end of it; you still gotta buy a paddle, PFD, racks, etc. But the next time you buy a kayak, all you have to put out for is the boat since you already have all the other stuff. Also, tools you buy for building boats can be handy for home repairs and maintenance, and can actually pay for themselves very quickly (and get you better quality home repairs).

Moder, I aborted the whole idea of an OI for 2009, switched gears and decided it's going to be a 2010 model. That means launch in spring, which means it has become my winter project. I have the hull and deck all fiberglassed and lookin' good, now I'll take my sweet time putting it all together and making a killer boat. Gonna do a radical cockpit recess that'll bring the rear of the coaming flush to the aft deck to maximize its rolling awesomeness, and mold a carbon fiber composite coaming per One Ocean 'cuz I tear my wood ones up. Still haven't decided what hatches I'm going to use.
ojdidit wrote:I gotta TV in my shop :oops:
We need to do the OJ thing to that TV, amigo, sorry. :P And sayyyyy ...... that's good lookin' boat and paddle in your avatar!! 8)
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Stuck in the Middle, Wadefish 15' -Heritage 9.5 Angler (OlllllO)

Post by Light Keeper's Kid »

ojdidit wrote:
barditch wrote:
Pogo wrote: Besides, sitting around watching bad TV will never give you a cool new toy you can play with for years to come. 8)
I gotta TV in my shop :oops:
You Bad Boy :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike