Re: Rev TCF's New Boat - 10/22 ALMOST THERE

Post by Dogpaddlin »

Lookin good 8) He is going to love it!
Jerry Hamon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry Hamon »

She has her own yak that she doesn't use. I'm the older guy that needs the elevated seat. :cry:
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

Well . . . . . . . . . . . . . . all the hard work is done except for the finish sanding and coats.

I will probably float the Honey Bee Monday or Tuesday and locate the best seat location so I can rig the foot rests and seat mounting.

Hatches are cut in, side rails inside and out are in but will need some touch up sanding and finishing. Hatch hold down straps will be installed after the finish coats. Don't know what to do on the hatches as far as being able to remove them. They are surface smooth and you need good finger nails to pick them up. Thought about doing a "picture box" inset of a cross for a sunken "grab handle" or just a small cross stuck on the hatch as a "grab Handle.???" Could use some expert opinions on that. :wink:

I haven't weighed this boat yet but I'm guessing it weighs about 45 pounds without the heavy seat and mount.

OOPS! Grand Nephews took over the ship!

Talk about nervous. How is this thing going to float and handle. I've tried to figure out weight capacity but it goes beyond my ability. I down loaded a couple of design programs that are supposed to calculate displacement but I can't figure the programs out yet. I'm just too newby to understand all the nautical jargon used in the programs. But, getting into the boat in the water will answer all my questions . . . . . . and . . . . . . . . . . maybe . . . . . . . . . test my PFD :shock:
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Rev TCF's New Boat - 10/24 WOOD WORK IS DONE

Post by preacher »

Got to have a Trolley when you fish the Red River.

I use 1/2 inch PVC for axel housing and 1/2 inch all thread for the axle. The PVC is held in place by pouring goopie around it. Nylon lock nuts stop a lot of heart break. I will cover the surface that touches the boat with a thin outdoor carpet. I will pick up the plastic rimed pneumatic tires tomorrow at Harbor freight. The black strap goes around the boat to hold it on the cart. The slot in the middle is allowing for the skeg.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Preacher
She looks sharp ,when is the splash day?
Ron
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

bowgarguide wrote:Preacher
She looks sharp ,when is the splash day?
Ron
I will probably float her Wednesday or Thursday to check the center of balance so I can install the seat and foot rest. After that I will get serious with varnish and paint, I'm catching up on some sanding and resin right now.

This thing is getting so close I'm having to tie it down rather than block it up :lol:
barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

8) Preacher, I do hope somebody was taking close notes while your were engineering on the fly...I've been following bowgarguide's "ugly boat" build (which is truly gorgeous) and yours and thinking that there may be a melding of the two boat concepts that would make a decent vehicle for a superannuated flats fisher type dude with a short bed pickup! :D
Jerry Hamon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry Hamon »

barditch wrote:8) Preacher, I do hope somebody was taking close notes while your were engineering on the fly...I've been following bowgarguide's "ugly boat" build (which is truly gorgeous) and yours and thinking that there may be a melding of the two boat concepts that would make a decent vehicle for a superannuated flats fisher type dude with a short bed pickup! :D
Hmmmmmm

preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Rev TCF's New Boat - 10/24 TIME FOR VARNISH

Post by preacher »

My problem with the resin not curing must have been another "fogger" incident. The stuff just wouldn't harden after a week of waiting. So a little elbow grease, vinegar, and acetone and off with the old and on with the new. Now I'm back on track and the fiberglass is set and sanded with #1 steel wool and ready for varnish. Waiting now for the gray inside walls to dry for a second coat.

The Red Oak for the top of the gunnels is in place and I also decided to stain the top rail even darker to match the fillets. That stuff is hard as iron and really difficult to bend.

All the rigging has been pre-fitted and holes drilled so I don't have to take a chance with a fresh varnish finish.

The Trolley is complete and ready to go, the seat is complete and only waiting for me to float this thing and get the center so I can place the seat. I even got TCF a pretty black crate to go behind his seat and a new (homemade of course) black mesh fish basket to hold all those Crappies (did I spell that right????).

Dogpaddlin

Re: Rev TCF's New Boat - TIME FOR VARNISH

Post by Dogpaddlin »

Lookin sharp! 8)
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Wow! I'd say you're really getting into this boat building stuff. Great looking project. Some very nice details. Can hardly wait for the paddling/fishing report.
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

Ever heard someone say, "The hurryder I go, the behinder I get"?

The paint that I used on the inside of Jerry's boat said, "let dry over night . . . cool weather and humid weather will slow the drying process." Three days later . . .

I did put it on the trolley and tried that out and only have one word about it .

SSSAAAWWWEEEEEETTTTT!

I really have to weigh this boat . . . I'm guessing around 40 pounds or less.
Iamdamoder
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Iamdamoder »

Cool, way cooler than I was thinking when you started. :oops: Me of little faith.

Congrats on the fine build and inovative design on the fly.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Looking good cant wait to get a paddle report.
Ron
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

Well, instead of posting I've been sanding and varnishing. I got 2 coats of varnish on her and 2 coats of the gray paint on the 2 inside wall panels. Tonight I took my 00 steel wool and buffed her down real good. Tomorrow I will shoot the last coat of varnish on her. I want that to cure real good before I put her in the water so bubba has to wait until next weekend. I've predicted so many times and missed but I'm thinking I will float her Monday or Tuseday so I can locate the seat position. Once that is done I can install the foot braces and deliver her to TCF.

He should be fishing her a week from Saturday.

I may be slow but I take a long time doing it :?
Jerry Hamon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry Hamon »

That makes me sooooo sad since the 13th - 15th we're going to be camping and fishing on Lake Bonham. I guess a huge amount of crappie slime would be a good way to initiate her. :D
barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

Rev TCF wrote:That makes me sooooo sad since the 13th - 15th we're going to be camping and fishing on Lake Bonham. I guess a huge amount of crappie slime would be a good way to initiate her. :D
:lol: That's good ANY time! (So's the fried crappie that comes next!)
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

I don't know about this . . . you mean you're going to get her dirty! JK

Well, that's about it. Got the last coat on and the rigging on. Found 2 puddled spots that I will have to repair after she cures real good. New spray gun got ahead of me if you know what I mean. If the Lord is willing I will float her Monday or Tuesday and mount the seat and install the foot braces. After that she is a fishin machine. I was just noticing the Bumble Bee Yesterday and the B is kinda beat up . . . and I felt a little proud. She has slaughtered a lot of fish over the past year.

I really like the pic below . . . it shows her rocker and shape.
DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Rev TCF's New Boat - TIME FOR FLOATING

Post by DarrellS »

You sure put the shine to it. Looks great.

P.S.
You're gonna love that seat.
barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
That is purely pretty...if she paddles as good as she looks and catches fish like she oughta, there's gonna be a shortage of crappie by spring, and a happy camper paddlin' her. Beautiful work, Preacher!
Red
:D PS: Yeah, you are gonna like that seat!
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Beautiful! I love these 3 panel boats. No other boats come close as for bang for bucks....
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

Couldn't wait, just had to paddle this baby. First thing right after Church ran home, changed my clothes loaded the Honey Bee and drove to the pond at my office. Turned around and drove right back home and got the paddle. :mrgreen: When I got back to the pond I trollied her down to the water and jumped in. I had a blast for about 45 minutes. She handles like a dream even with the high seat. She's fast, faster than the Bumble Bee, turns around in a heart beat, and I tested her glide . . . more than 200 feet without turning and inch, and she drafts about 2 1/2 inches with my 255 pounds sitting in the seat. Yes, I tested to see if I could stand up and "NO PROBLEM!"

I took a rod out with me and slung a lure for about 30 minutes and she did great. I made sure I tested the extreme casts (as far as I could cast) and she still was solid as a rock. I did my lean outs and she did good there also although I believe I could have caused her to take on water if I tried hard enough.

Verdict . . . I will be building another one of these babies . . . for me :wink: :roll:

Yes, I did keep better records and have all my measurements and drawings.

Any problems? yes, I managed to apply too much varnish on the last coat with my new spray gun and caused some wrinkles on the front and rear decks. But, I'm going to let Bubba paddle her for a while and when the weather gets bad I will take her into the shop and redo the deck varnish.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JERRY!
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Rev TCF's New Boat - TIME FOR FISHING

Post by preacher »

I don't know if anybody is interested in looking at just pictures of the build or not. If so here is the Photobucket code for viewing.

http://s229.photobucket.com/albums/ee56 ... YS%20BOAT/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dogpaddlin

Post by Dogpaddlin »

WOW!!! Great looking boat, I have really enjoyed watching you build it and picked up a trick or two 8) .

:clap: :clap: :clap:
TexaRican
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by TexaRican »

Very nice Don. Where did the design on this one come from?