Rev TCF's New Boat - TIME FOR SLIME

bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Rev TCF's New Boat - Teaser

Post by bowgarguide »

when I was a kid(back in the dark ages) w use to rebuild a lot of equipment. In those days babit bearings were used and as they wore out you had to repore them,you would wrap a thin piece of paper around the shaft and then poor the babit in,and hope there was no moisture trapped because if there was the lead would blow and really make a mess of the ceiling.
Ron
Babit was just lead with some additives to make it harder.
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Great report. You're making good progress. I'm also glad to see that you are always thinking and trying to work with good techniques.

Too many people to mention but we're seeing some really good work from TKF boatbuilders now.
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

Pogo wrote:Well, it certainly looks plenty strong to me. Just out of curiosity, why are you using a buzz sander instead of a ROS? Doesn't that thing take forever?
The ROS is great on the flat surfaces but the Buzz seems to do the corners better and faster to me. But not just any Buzz sander, the Dewalt works a hundred times better than all my other Buzz sanders, Dewalt seems to have a better action or something. The ROS will come into play on the hull (inside and out) and the sides and decks. Plenty to do with the sander as all you builders well know.

Pogo wrote:Got a laugh out of your sweat-drop-in-the-lead-pot comment! I'll bet you knew it the instant you infracted THAT rule! :lol:
Picture a fat boy moving at near speed of sound over short distance. :roll:

And, yes, it did leave a scar.
DSmithla

Post by DSmithla »

So what were the popsicle sticks for?
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

I hear ya -- a good quality tool kicks you-know-what over a lesser one. I have what's supposed to be a pretty darn good Porter-Cable buzz sander, and I like it .... but after seeing how well the DeWalt ROS outperforms the P-C, well, the old tool envy creeps back in once again.... :P

I echo DSmithla's Q: Why the popsickle sticks? Every so often someone writes and asks me about spacers between panels, and I'm always lost, and have to reply that I don't know anything about 'em because I've never used any.
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

The (mini)popsickle sticks just give you an even space between the panels and eliminates a possible open end exposure to water and subsequent rot or water damage. I found they also allow you to do fine adjustments to the panels to get the clean lines. On the Bumble Bee I precoated the panels with resin before assembling and that accomplishes the same thing (I think?).

I also drive a Ford if you know what I mean . . .
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

Gotta do something while you watch the epoxy dry . . .

So I built the mount for my brother's boat and upgraded mine at the same time.

BASE IS LAMINATED WITH GLASS ON BOTH SIDES, MOUNT IS IMPREGNATED WITH RESIN, ALL IS WATERPROOF
MOUNT IS 5 INCHES HIGH, SEAT RAISES YOUR BUTTOCKS 9 INCHES OFF THE DECK
ADDING VELCRO TO SECURE BUT ALLOW ADJUSTMENTS
GOT TO BE MONOGRAMED!
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

I would think the Velcro would get wet and muddy?
Ron
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Yep, sea kayakers have had poor luck using it to hold minicell seats in, sorry to say.... :?
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

I've mostly had bad luck with velcro and seats. BUT the seat bottom in Seashell's boat is held on with velcro and the last I saw it it was doing good. I don't think I remembered to tell strider, so he may not even know that it is held on with velcro.
Cockpit closeup.jpg
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

I use "Industrial Strength" Velcro. That's what you see on the box. Been using it in the salt marshes and lakes without any problem whatsoever. This stuff is so strong that I quit using the entire length for a mount and went to spot mounts because it took me 20 minutes to get the seat out. I put the velcro on the entire mount track so I can adjust the seat but I only put down 3 spots on the base plate. I tested the new method out Friday and it was great. But i'm down to 250 so maybe I'm not giving it the best test. :wink:

The one time I got mud in the Velcro I just went to the car wash and blew the mud out . . . no problem.
barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

:D Car washes fix lots of stuff, preacher! Do a world class job on catering pots and pans, for sure, too! :lol: :lol: :lol: Not too shabby for washing show lambs either! :lol:
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

barditch wrote::D Car washes fix lots of stuff, preacher! Do a world class job on catering pots and pans, for sure, too! :lol: :lol: :lol: Not too shabby for washing show lambs either! :lol:
Yeah, I've always avoided Flounder because I don't like cleaning them, the tiny scales are an incredible mess. Then I met a guy last year that told me to take them to the car wash and blow the scales off!!!!
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Rev TCF's New Boat - 10/1 UPDATE

Post by preacher »

Got her turned over and starting on the hull.

Filling the outside gaps.
Smoothing and rounding the edges.
Edges are glassed.
Pre-fitting the cloth.
Glassed at last.
Skeg is glued in place and drying. This boat is so short and wide and has so much rocker I was afraid she would waddle when paddled.
Next comes 3 coats of Graphite resin on the bottom, then she goes back over for the bulkheads and decks.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Preacher
Why do you use fiberglass tape and cloth?
Ron
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Stuck in the Middle, Wadefish 15' -Heritage 9.5 Angler (OlllllO)

Post by Light Keeper's Kid »

:clap: Looks Great :clap:

Mike
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

bowgarguide wrote:Preacher
Why do you use fiberglass tape and cloth?
Ron
I can take that question 2 ways.

I tape the corners inside and out then layer the cloth over that for strength. I use my boats for fishing salt and fresh and rivers. Always ramming into stuff. Besides that I'm larger (okay, heavier) than your average person and tend to stress the joints.
and . . .
I use tape because I don't like the mess of cutting out the narrow strips.

If I was smarter I would say, "I catch so many fish that I have to build my boats with extra reinforcement to haul the load." :mrgreen:
DSmithla

Post by DSmithla »

preacher wrote:The (mini)popsickle sticks just give you an even space between the panels and eliminates a possible open end exposure to water and subsequent rot or water damage. I found they also allow you to do fine adjustments to the panels to get the clean lines. On the Bumble Bee I precoated the panels with resin before assembling and that accomplishes the same thing (I think?).

o.k. I get the even space, but how doe it eliminate the open end exposure? Is it by making sure the epoxy can get into the seam?
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

DSmithla wrote:
preacher wrote:The (mini)popsickle sticks just give you an even space between the panels and eliminates a possible open end exposure to water and subsequent rot or water damage. I found they also allow you to do fine adjustments to the panels to get the clean lines. On the Bumble Bee I precoated the panels with resin before assembling and that accomplishes the same thing (I think?).

o.k. I get the even space, but how doe it eliminate the open end exposure? Is it by making sure the epoxy can get into the seam?
Yeah, makes sure all surfaces of all wood is covered with resin. One of the instruction manuals called the wood touching wood a "hot spot." Potential for water to get to the wood. I think it also said that it made for a stronger joint. So, being a novice, I followed instructions (for once in my life :wink: )
DSmithla

Post by DSmithla »

preacher wrote:
Yeah, makes sure all surfaces of all wood is covered with resin. One of the instruction manuals called the wood touching wood a "hot spot." Potential for water to get to the wood. I think it also said that it made for a stronger joint. So, being a novice, I followed instructions (for once in my life :wink: )

O.K. How do you get the popsicle stick out where the two side rest on it?
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

bowgarguide wrote:Why do you use fiberglass tape and cloth?
Ron, it's because he uses his boats HARD, on a ROCKY RIVER. He isn't building no wimpy lightweight jobs like YOU. :P
Dogpaddlin

Post by Dogpaddlin »

Pogo wrote:
bowgarguide wrote:Why do you use fiberglass tape and cloth?
Ron, it's because he uses his boats HARD, on a ROCKY RIVER. He isn't building no wimpy lightweight jobs like YOU. :P

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

and the saga continues...
Dogpaddlin

Post by Dogpaddlin »

Good looking build Preacher. Can't wait to see the finished product! 8)
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Pogo
Next time I see you ,you are going to do a half an eskimo roll
:lol: :lol:
Ron
barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

8) Doin' some fine work there, Preacher! I look forward to seeing that vessel in the water. any hope you'll be bringing it to Nolte Island for the Picnic???
Red