Rev TCF's New Boat - TIME FOR SLIME

preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Rev TCF's New Boat - TIME FOR SLIME

Post by preacher »

Well we collaberated and came up with this design, now my challenge is, "can I build it to look like this?" And, "will it float?"
Last edited by preacher on Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:36 pm, edited 13 times in total.
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Rev TCF's New Boat - SEAT MOUNT

Post by preacher »

First comes the measuring, marking and laying out. Egad! All the measurements work out first try!

I use these plastic cutting boards to keep joints smooth. I just apply a very thin filom of Vaseline on the side to be exposed to resin and it works like a charm. I tried plastic sheeting and ended up with wrinkles, the cutting boards stop that.

So far so good.
Last edited by preacher on Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Stuck in the Middle, Wadefish 15' -Heritage 9.5 Angler (OlllllO)

Re: Rev TCF's New Boat - Teaser

Post by Light Keeper's Kid »

I'm loving those weight's :wink: Great pics and report :clap: I wish I could convince a plastic manufacturer to build a 15-17'X 30-32" model like this :roll:

Mike
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Of course you can build it like that--and it will float. I'll be very interested in your paddling report though.
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Do you plan on putting some rocker in the bottom :?:

Mike
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

Light Keeper's Kid wrote:Do you plan on putting some rocker in the bottom :?:

Mike
It has almost 3 inches of rocker.
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

gerald wrote: . . . I'll be very interested in your paddling report though.
Now you got me worried. I was already worried and have planned on putting 5 feet of 2 inch keel along the last 5 feet of the hull to help the tracking.

Also, I just don't have the math skills (experience) to calculate the load on this one. When I estimated the Bumble Bee I hit pretty close, but this one is beyond me. If I base it's size percentage wise with the BB I'm thinking 350 - 400 pounds. My Big Game is almost identical in size and it is rated at 550 pounds, but it isn't as asymmetrical from midship to bow.
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

Light Keeper's Kid wrote:I'm loving those weight's :wink: Great pics and report :clap: I wish I could convince a plastic manufacturer to build a 15-17'X 30-32" model like this :roll:

Mike
Mike, you should check out the Ocean kayak Trident Fisherman. It is 15 feet and I think 30 inches wide and FAST. Tyak fishes in one and loves it and he is a big boy.
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

preacher wrote:
gerald wrote: . . . I'll be very interested in your paddling report though.
Now you got me worried. I was already worried and have planned on putting 5 feet of 2 inch keel along the last 5 feet of the hull to help the tracking.

Also, I just don't have the math skills (experience) to calculate the load on this one. When I estimated the Bumble Bee I hit pretty close, but this one is beyond me. If I base it's size percentage wise with the BB I'm thinking 350 - 400 pounds. My Big Game is almost identical in size and it is rated at 550 pounds, but it isn't as asymmetrical from midship to bow.
Don't worry. Be happy. I don't think your weight capacity will be much of a problem. Radical swede form hull shape--no rocker. It will be interesting. However--I would never discourage anyone from thinking outside the box when it comes to designs. I use to do a lot of that and will in the future...
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

This is a nice tease. I'm interested in seeing how she turns out when completed.
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

gerald wrote: Radical swede form hull shape--no rocker. It will be interesting. However--I would never discourage anyone from thinking outside the box when it comes to designs. I use to do a lot of that and will in the future...
Thanks for the support. If it don't work I can convert it to a unique outside table.

Also there is a lot of rocker, almost 3 inches at each end. Jerry really wanted something different and I took his ideas and put them on paper. I'm actually way ahead of the photos posted and this thing looks AWESOME (the shape and looks not my work). I picked up some fair looking red cedar 2X4's and one 2X6 and will be putting together some pretty rubrails soon. I've put the lofting plans down on paper in detail so I can send them to you if it works out in the water and you want them.

Also, I'm am officially an epoxy man. I no longer have the rush - rush polyester panic, I am reformed. This stuff is wonderful to work with. Slow is good at my age. :wink:
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Epoxy is good at any age. :) But it sure is nice to have all this actual experience talking; I've always heard it wasn't a great idea to use polyester but never heard from anyone who actually did (in small boats like we build). Now I have, and am much more clear on the pros and cons.

I'm diggin' on them lead weights too, how do you get that shape? I have three like them, got 'em as part of a huge ancient grab bag of grandpa's fishing junque at a garage sale. Tell ya what -- while all weights are forever handy in the shop, that shape is especially versatile. I use those three beauties almost constantly!
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Pogo
Dang boy all my boats are poly and luan ,
Ron
barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

8) I am really intrigued with this build...I need a shorter boat than most folks want (one of the joys of driving an Ext. Cab pickup is a 6 foot bed :x which leaves a lot of boat hanging out the butt) so I'm looking for ideas for a flats/bay boat.

:D Pogo, I'm just guessing, but that shape suggests that Preacher fell heir to an old, abused cast iron skillet and went to molding melted tire weights...recycling everything, the pan, the weights...a green build at its best!
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

bowgarguide wrote:Dang boy all my boats are poly and luan
Yes, and your point is......? No really, in all seriousness, you were prime target when I made them comments. You're still prime target, only now I mean with field artillery because now I've had some beer.... :clap:
barditch wrote:.....an old, abused cast iron skillet and went to molding melted tire weights....
I'm no stranger to melting tire weights, but how do you get that half-dome shape from a skillet?

Boy, we used to melt a bunch of tire weights in a coffee can, then dump it in the horse trough. Talk about fun on a slow day! Made all SORTSA weird and wonderful little works of art..... :roll:
Jerry Hamon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry Hamon »

Pogo wrote:
bowgarguide wrote:Dang boy all my boats are poly and luan
Yes, and your point is......? No really, in all seriousness, you were prime target when I made them comments. You're still prime target, only now I mean with field artillery because now I've had some beer.... :clap:
barditch wrote:.....an old, abused cast iron skillet and went to molding melted tire weights....
I'm no stranger to melting tire weights, but how do you get that half-dome shape from a skillet?

Boy, we used to melt a bunch of tire weights in a coffee can, then dump it in the horse trough. Talk about fun on a slow day! Made all SORTSA weird and wonderful little works of art..... :roll:

I have some also and mine are made from my sludge (when I pour jig heads) which I put in a cast iron pot that has a rounded interior bottom. It's called a sauce pot.
barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

Boy, we used to melt a bunch of tire weights in a coffee can, then dump it in the horse trough. Talk about fun on a slow day! Made all SORTSA weird and wonderful little works of art..... :roll:[/quote]

8) Both Wagner and Lodge made a couple of skillets in the 7-8" range with sloped sides...I've got two in my cook boxes right now...one of 'em cooks nothin' but cornbread in the kitchen and the other sees most of its duty @ streamside cooking trout, et al, either on a Coleman stove or on a campfire, if it's legit. I also have a couple of 6" w/sloped sides that I use on the BBQ pits when I'm making some TexMex specialties!
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

Barlows, lead pot, $20.00
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

preacher wrote:Barlows, lead pot, $20.00
Ah, now we're getting somewhere, thank you! :D

Would someone tell Red that ol' Pogo has maybe seen a skillet once or twice in his life, and that they seem to invariably sport a flat bottom to preclude rock 'n' roll boogie-downs on the burner ..... and dome-shaped cornbread? :lol:
barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

:oops: :oops: my bad...lead doesn't rise, does it??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

barditch wrote::oops: :oops: my bad...lead doesn't rise, does it??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
It did the day some sweat dripped into the pot :!: :!: :!: :monkey:
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

Vacation just ended so progress will slow down now. But, got a lot done.

First side panel goes on.

Tying the wires . . . all 1 zillion of them

Tape goes on and top of side panels are braced at desired width
Look at the rocker on this puppy
Fillets went in fast this time, I used a new idea. Bought some refillable caulking tubes. Shortened one down to 5 inches long and put my fillet material in it and caulked the joints. Then used the rounded end of a Bondo black plastic stir stick to drag out excess and make the fillets uniform. Worked great and fast.
Cutting the wires and pulling out the popsicle miniture sticks
Taping the outside getting ready to fill the gaps

The beloved sanding process

I'm happy with these fillets
Placing the glass belt in the corners
6 oz cloth on the inside. Want this puppy to be strong.
She's bottom side up right now. Going to do the outside hull.
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

:clap: Great Job and Detailed Report :clap:

Mike
Jerry Hamon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry Hamon »

He forgot to mention it must be strong to support this much weight!!! :shock:
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Well, it certainly looks plenty strong to me. Just out of curiosity, why are you using a buzz sander instead of a ROS? Doesn't that thing take forever?

Got a laugh out of your sweat-drop-in-the-lead-pot comment! I'll bet you knew it the instant you infracted THAT rule! :lol: