Rev TCF's New Boat - TIME FOR SLIME

Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Rev TCF's New Boat - 10/1 UPDATE

Post by Pogo »

Ron, I sure hope it's at Inks Lake on Sunday, Oct. 11. I like the way the water tastes there.... :shock:
Jerry Hamon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry Hamon »

barditch wrote:8) Doin' some fine work there, Preacher! I look forward to seeing that vessel in the water. any hope you'll be bringing it to Nolte Island for the Picnic???
Red
He's doing an excellent job and I cannot tell you how much I appreciate it. :D
A guy could not have a better brother.
The bad news is, if done it's going to Oktoberfisch with me.
SORRY (not really) EXCITED (REALLY!!!) :dance:
barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

:? Pickin' a weekend for one these gigs in October is a crapshoot at best! I'm gonna step on somebody's toes no matter where I go! Hell! I managed to book TX-OU weekend!!! :roll: But, the prettiest site on the Guad is worth the misery! Ya'll do have fun, now!
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Rev TCF's New Boat - Teaser

Post by preacher »

DSmithla wrote:
preacher wrote:
Yeah, makes sure all surfaces of all wood is covered with resin. One of the instruction manuals called the wood touching wood a "hot spot." Potential for water to get to the wood. I think it also said that it made for a stronger joint. So, being a novice, I followed instructions (for once in my life :wink: )

O.K. How do you get the popsicle stick out where the two side rest on it?
You stop your fillets just short of the popsicle stick on each side. When the resin hardens you clip the wire and pull the stick out. Then you fill in the gap.
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

barditch wrote:8) Doin' some fine work there, Preacher! I look forward to seeing that vessel in the water. any hope you'll be bringing it to Nolte Island for the Picnic???
Red
Nope. Building this for my baby bubba, Rev TCF. If that is the Guadalupe fishing thingy you're referring to, he will be there. I just have to rush the build and try to make the deadline.
DSmithla

Re: Rev TCF's New Boat - Teaser

Post by DSmithla »

O.K. that makes sense. Thanks (just wasn't sure if there was a magic one pass technique).
preacher wrote:
DSmithla wrote:
preacher wrote:
Yeah, makes sure all surfaces of all wood is covered with resin. One of the instruction manuals called the wood touching wood a "hot spot." Potential for water to get to the wood. I think it also said that it made for a stronger joint. So, being a novice, I followed instructions (for once in my life :wink: )

O.K. How do you get the popsicle stick out where the two side rest on it?
You stop your fillets just short of the popsicle stick on each side. When the resin hardens you clip the wire and pull the stick out. Then you fill in the gap.
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

Well, I thought I took photos of the fill coats and sanding but didn't. I finally managed to get to the first application of graphite resin on the hull. Got 2 more coats to go.

While waiting for the epoxy to dry I decided to cut some strips from the red cedar I bought and get ready for my rub rails and deck bracing. I wetted it down to check it's color and I'm really pleased.

Just a note. I really enjoy working on these boats and can't wait to get started on my SOT. The work is really interesting and one of the best stress busters I've ever experienced. I admit that my knowledge and skill level is about as basic as you can get and maybe some of my methods are different, maybe even unorthodox, but I still find such peace and pleasure in working and building these boats. The only thing I enjoy more is fishing out of a boat I built. Just something about it that kinda makes me strut even when I'm sitting down and paddling.

So many of you gentlemen are at such a high level of skill and knowledge that it is sometimes intimidating but you all are perfect gentlemen and encourage novices like me and that means a lot. Maybe I can live long enough to learn as much as some of you guys and become a better boat builder.

Thanks for everything. Just thought that needed to be said.

don
Dogpaddlin

Post by Dogpaddlin »

So many of you gentlemen are at such a high level of skill and knowledge that it is sometimes intimidating but you all are perfect gentlemen and encourage novices like me and that means a lot. Maybe I can live long enough to learn as much as some of you guys and become a better boat builder.

Thanks for everything. Just thought that needed to be said.[/b]
don

X2 :clap: :clap: :clap:

I could not agree more! When I first started thinking about building a boat Ron invited me up to the Brazos to paddle a few of his boats. Gerald and Pogo have both been VERY generous with their knowledge and praise. Gerald was even kind enough to rip a bunch of strips for me to strip my decks (since I don't have a table saw). We really have a good bunch of people on this forum!

Thanks to all who post here!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

preacher wrote:Just a note. I really enjoy working on these boats and can't wait to get started on my SOT. The work is really interesting and one of the best stress busters I've ever experienced. I admit that my knowledge and skill level is about as basic as you can get and maybe some of my methods are different, maybe even unorthodox, but I still find such peace and pleasure in working and building these boats. The only thing I enjoy more is fishing out of a boat I built. Just something about it that kinda makes me strut even when I'm sitting down and paddling.
For my money, that was perhaps the most remarkably well-stated and concise "Mission Statement" for boat building I've seen yet. What more can you say?
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: Rev TCF's New Boat - 10/2 GRAPHITE ON HULL

Post by gerald »

I've got to tell you that there is not one single person on here who regularly posts and asks questions that I don't learn from. There have been quite a few of you who have gone above and beyond to help me improve on some aspect of what I do. I also thank everyone.
Jerry Hamon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry Hamon »

I think the coolest thing is my little boat will have a little bit of several boat builder personalities built into it by the best brother a guy could have. 8)

(Oh, and I didn't have to build it)
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Rev TCF wrote:I think the coolest thing is my little boat will have a little bit of several boat builder personalities built into it by the best brother a guy could have. 8)

Correction: (I didn't GET to build it :( ) There, that looks better. :D

I'm considering adding a bit more than just another builder's personality in your boat while you ain't lookin' at Oktoberfisch. Just so you know we love you. :shock:
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Stuck in the Middle, Wadefish 15' -Heritage 9.5 Angler (OlllllO)

Post by Light Keeper's Kid »

:clap: Looking Great :clap: This one is begining to look like a Super Bee :D

Mike
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

Second coat, the contour is better, third coat later (this cool weather really slows down the resin. But . . . I did get my rod racks built in my shop while waiting :P

Jerry Hamon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry Hamon »

Pogo wrote:
Rev TCF wrote:I think the coolest thing is my little boat will have a little bit of several boat builder personalities built into it by the best brother a guy could have. 8)

Correction: (I didn't GET to build it :( ) There, that looks better. :D

I'm considering adding a bit more than just another builder's personality in your boat while you ain't lookin' at Oktoberfisch. Just so you know we love you. :shock:
I'll sick my attack Chiweenie on you!!!
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Dang boy, took forever to wake you up.... :P
Jerry Hamon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry Hamon »

I've been busy trying to buy the travel trailer.
No more pop-up camping for this fat boy!
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

Wish it would rain and cool off around here, heck it didn't rain one day last week and another one this week. Waiting for epoxy to cure is like watching hair grow. I actually had to watch the Cowboys play today, the whole game.

I have managed to turn this beauty over and start on the topside. Splicing some strips together for rubrails, measuring and cutting braces for the decks, cutting and measuring the bulkheads. Takes a while when you are engineering as you go. The Lord is kind because I haven't wasted any wood yet, but I'm moving like a snail . . . measuring 3-4 times before I cut . . . sometimes 5-6 times.

I'm also working with extension cords from the house to the shop. Too wet to get my electric conduit in the ground, but thar's another sermon.

Just a small tease on the decks and bracing. Nothing glued in place yet, just fitted and taped for mock up. Seems to be square and true. This "Honey Bee" will have a 6 foot open cockpit and a watertight hatch front and rear.
The bow grabs will be anchored into a 1"X4" hardwood board. Bow shot.
Bow shot.
Dry mock up of bow deck.
Stern deck is glassed (and still wet) and just sitting in place. No bracing yet.
Bulkheads are glassed and curing. Front deck is also glassed, just didn't post a pic of it yet.

Should get the front braces glued in place tonight, stern braces tomorrow night.

Probably won't be ready for this weekend, sorry.
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: Rev TCF's New Boat - 10/11 Starting on the decks

Post by gerald »

Looks good. I think you'll like that seat.
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

gerald wrote:Looks good. I think you'll like that seat.
Thanks. Actually it's the same as the one in the Bumble Bee. I just had to go to heavier framing because I'm a heavier guy :wink:
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Stuck in the Middle, Wadefish 15' -Heritage 9.5 Angler (OlllllO)

Post by Light Keeper's Kid »

:clap:

Mike
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

Now that the front deck braces are in and dried I'm starting on the rubrails which I cut out of WRC 2X4X8'.

That means I can use my new toy, the adjustable angle guide to cut my long angels on the strips.
It really feathers the cut and I don't have to do anything until after I glue the strips together.
Almost invisible even before sanding.

Then I mix my goopie and glue the first rail in place. Looks kind of light but I have already tested the color when wet and it is a rich dark color.
Once the rails are dry and firm I can start on the rear deck braces. Both decks and bulk heads are ready and waiting. I have designed the hatches and haven't decided if I will cut them before or after I secure the decks to the boat. Probably after.
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Rev TCF's New Boat - 10/17 Decks and rubrails

Post by preacher »

Had some pretty nice weather today and yesterday so I got some work done.
Decided to cut in the front hatch and build the hatch shelf.
Nice size hole has appeared in the front deck. 11 inch X 16 inch hatch should allow good size camping items to be stowed.
Also decided to build the battery box while waiting for resin to dry in other areas.
Framing the braces for the rear deck.
Cut and fitting the hatch shelf to the deck.
Made up some goopy and glued the shelf in place.

Adding the backing to the hatch cover.
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Rev TCF's New Boat - 10/22 ALMOST THERE

Post by preacher »

Should have this Honey Bee in the water soon. Got a lot more finishing and rigging to do but it should go fast, after I do some fishing :twisted:

Rear deck bracing and grab handle mounting support.
Rear deck mockup, not glued in place yet. Got to cut the hatch and make the lid and tray.
Installed a water runoff block, and the front deck is mounted and secure along with lid. Also got the battery box built and set inside the hold but not secured yet.
Long shot of empty cockpit.
Bow shot with seat and crate ( just a mockup for right now).
Stern shot. Lots of room in this puppy. Patty . . . er uh . . . Jerry will really enjoy this leg room and storage space.

I'm really excited about this boat. I hope it floats and handles as good as it looks. I am concerned with the strength of the sidewalls with the radical curve on the rearward half in the seat area. I am going to install another 2 inch strip along the top of the side wall as a precaution. I think it will also be a good looking addition. Got to cut out and shape the same kind of water block as the front deck for the rear deck.

I did take time to lift this boat this morning and it is LIGHT! Probably half the weight of the Bumble Bee.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Rev TCF's New Boat - 10/22 ALMOST THERE

Post by bowgarguide »

Looking good,second boats are always lighter.
Ron