Boat Length verses Weight???

Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Stuck in the Middle, Wadefish 15' -Heritage 9.5 Angler (OlllllO)

Boat Length verses Weight???

Post by Light Keeper's Kid »

This question has been troubling me as I'm wanting to start my next build :roll: My next build is going to be a 15'x32" Asymmetrical Sink Hull with a max. cap. of 500#. But as I'm going to have at least 350#-400#'s on board most of the time,I'm wondering if lengthing the hull to 17' would make it a faster paddling :?:

Mike
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Boat Length verses Weight???

Post by bowgarguide »

Mike
Here is a pic of the regularT-V with my 215 lbs and about 250 lbs of gear ,never had a problem .
ron

Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Ron,I think that shot says alot for your TV and a pic is worth a thousand words :wink: I'm going quit worring and start my WTV right away :wink:

Thanks Mike
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

This is actually a very good question....one which I wish others would consider. The key here is that you want/need a boat that is designed for your anticipated weight capacity. I almost always design for 300 pounds for a general purpose craft at the 4" waterline. If it's just a race boat--probably 200 pounds or less depending on the paddler. Camping and expedition boats go a little higher--depending on anticipated useage. Your boat is going to be pretty wide, and at 15' or so should have plenty of capacity for your anticipated use. I've mentioned many times that length determines the potential speed. But that doesn't mean that it will be easy to get to that speed. Sometimes 12' is right, sometimes 14' is right, etc.. Between the 12' and 16' length is a good standard length for general purpose boats. All boats have a bow, stern, seat, maybe hatches, etc. regardless of the lenght. These items are the main meat, or weight of the boat. Extend the length and you are adding a bit of weight but proportianally the longer boat is lighter. That means nothing. The boat is longer, heavier, generally harder to handle, etc.. So you need to stick with a length that will do what you need it to do. I'd have to look it up but I think strider's boats are designed for 350 pounds. They can easily efficiently run with 100 pounds more or less either way.
You shouldn't have any problems. Ron's picture IS worth a thousand words...
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Thanks Gerald :wink:

Mike
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Mike
On that trip loaded just like in the pic I paddled back up some small rapids (twice) to pull Darrels perow off a rock he was hung on so the boat still handles and runnes shallow even at that weight.
Ron
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Then when I finish I'll be able to take my 100# Lab (Grizzie) he hates to get wet :lol:

Mike
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

You'd be surprised at how little some boats sink when extra weight is added. Again I'd have to look it up but I think the rate of sinkage on strider's boat is something like 1" for 100 pounds. If your boat starts feeling like you're balancing on top of a marshmallow then you are loaded too heavy.
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Gerald,thats makes it's easy to understand :wink: Thanks :!:

Mike
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Ron thought he had it all figured out, that the difference between him and me is that he's a builder and I'm an engineer. Well, that ain't quite it, ol' buddy, I'm actually more of a sweaty grimy shop hand like you than a clean-living, mild-mannered theoretician like, say, Gerald. But all joking aside, this thread illustrates the difference between Ron and Pogo right here -- I never load a boat. The most I've ever done is take a small ice chest along with my light little kit of fishing gear, and it's not like I weigh a lot personally. So here I sit up in the peanut gallery listening, and not a thing in the world to add but a little respectful silence while I try to learn something. Well, there's gotta be a little heckling thrown in for good measure, or no one will recognize me.
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

I'm trying to figure how to beat your light building Pogo,but all i can think of is epoxing Duck Feathers on my own Tail :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Pogo
That goes back to the boats being built for the location and job they will preform.
That pic was taken on a trip I expected to stay out 8 days.
Ron
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Yep, I knew it in theory, but something about that picture you posted, and putting it in context the way you did, really made an impact -- apparently on everyone, not just me. Good post! :clap:

You got lucky, don't let it go to your head. :P
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

bowgarguide wrote:Mike
Here is a pic of the regularT-V with my 215 lbs and about 250 lbs of gear ,never had a problem .
ron

And you worried I might be top heavy that day we paddled up the Brazos! :D

We need to do it again soon now that it is cooling off.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

See it just took me a year to get you to understand this :D :D Just kidding Pogo and I understand this is just a truce. :shock:
Seriously I think this really shows what is so great about building your own boat it lets you build for how you use it and what you want it to do.
Matt designs some good boats and watching the build threads none are ever built the same, It will be the same way with Geralds boats all will be good boats but no two alike.
I have to admitt I understand better how you get by with the lighter construction knowing the payload you have.
Just dont get use to us agreeing :twisted:
Ron
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Correction: It took you a freakin' year to babble out your point so that an intelligent being might understand what the he!! you're talking about. Good job. :P :P :P
DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by DarrellS »

i know why it has been raining alot lately. Pogo and Ron agreed 5 times in a row. :D :D :D :D