Seat Designs

Dogpaddlin

Seat Designs

Post by Dogpaddlin »

I am getting closer to the outfitting stage of the BRF Rocket and have started thinking about the seat. I did not do enough planning on the pirogue and I don't want to make that mistake again. What are some of the different seat setups that have been used? What are the pros and cons of each setup?
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: Seat Designs

Post by gerald »

Apparently seat setups for wood composite boats are extremely difficult. I've used a bunch. Most have worked well. I will refer you to my website and some of the boats you can see there. Just look for pictures of the various seat systems. You can also google kayaks, canoes, etc. and take a look at the seats you'll find. Adapting a seat from a currently manufactured boat is a very viable option. Using seating systems from places like Surf to Summit (which I carry on my website) are also a viable option. I've built a lot of boats and put in a lot of seats. Some have been ideal for what I needed but none have been perfect. I'm still working on it. I think I'll soon come up with some viable options that can easily work for wood composite boats. Right now I'd say just to adapt some current system.
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

The idea is to give your fanny form-fitting total support; it's pressure points that cause pain and discomfort after a while. Hint: look at tractor seats. There are two remarkably comfortable seats (meaning they don't *look* comfortable) that canoe racers are using these days: the Wenonah plastic bucket, and the Redfish minicell seat. The Redfish seat as just the bottom part alone is like $48 to your door, a GREAT deal. You can carve your own for something like $40.
http://www.redfishkayak.com/seats.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a Wenonah bucket, only this one in Kevlar:

Bad posture is the number one cause of discomfort, by the way. If you listen to your mother and sit up straight you might be amazed. :)
Iamdamoder
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Iamdamoder »

Hold on Pogo that Redfish seat is $148 not $48. Think I'll order Minicell from Sweet.
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

The full seat with backrest and thigh braces and all is the hi-dollar item, I was talking about getting just the "bucket". It's not advertised in any big way, surprise, surprise. So try again, hot shot.... :lol:

You bring up a good point though; carving your own is a little cheaper, and certainly fits your own personal tush better (if you got a skinny little one like me) .... all you need is a little skill at carving a reverse sculpture of your butt. :D