Youtube video of my first sit on top kayak build

Post by The Huntsman »

This is my first homemade kayak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8ahLEma1W0
JEM

Re: Youtube video of my first sit on top kayak build

Post by JEM »

You HAVE to put the "THE BONE" on side of that boat! :lol:

That was really cool. Music was...... interesting.

How does she handle?
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

JEM wrote:Music was...... interesting.
You could say that. :lol:

BTW, I'd like to the know the length, width and how much she actually weighs?
Zen Archery

Post by Zen Archery »

AWESOME

get some pics of it on water
Dogpaddlin

Post by Dogpaddlin »

Very cool! I also am interested in the specs? Can you stand and fish from it?
FISHMAN
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: Rock Port--Corpus Christi--KAYAK FISHING GUIDE www.fishmansguideservice.com / Team Ocean Kayak.com

Post by FISHMAN »

Zen Archery wrote:AWESOME

get some pics of it on water
X2 Good job Very cool.....
The Huntsman

Post by The Huntsman »

It's 13.5' tip-to-tip wide part of front end is 39" at the top / back part is 40" at top
I have stood up in it, I just need grip tape or kiwi paint because it is slippery. The box part behind the seat will have a lid and is going to be the live well/bait. It has really good weight capacity, can hold atleast 3 adults on it. Haven't weighed it but its pretty heavy, takes 2 to unload. It runs fine, it won't win races :D , but it holds up against choppy water without being pushed back while paddling. Have a couple of other "kayak" plans but these will be lighter.
TDD
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by TDD »

You obvesously are skilled and tallanted and there is a good chance that one day your ability to think out side of the box will pay off for you in the end. The "Angry Music" as I call it, in your vidio make it very hard for me to watch and honestly want to take too serious. I won't ask you why you are so mad but will say that in the long run your physical as well as mental health would prosper more if you could tone it down. You certainly are trying to move in the right direction with kayaking although I certainly hope that you don't add any woofers/power amps to the yak. I absolutely hate Rap ... but along with that HeadBanging simply HURTS.
Dr. Phil (fake wannabee .. BigBrother .. friend .. what ever) signing off .. :P ...... OK .. I left out OLD :|
Last edited by TDD on Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
length
Location: Opinions are like rear ends every one has one and they all stink from time to time!

Post by length »

Cool boat! I like the music as well and I'm not mad at anything.
The Huntsman

Post by The Huntsman »

TD wrote:You obvesously are skilled and tallanted and there is a good chance that one day your ability to think out side of the box will pay off for you in the end. The "Angry Music" as I call it, in your vidio make it very hard for me to watch and honestly want to take too serious. I won't ask you why you are so mad but will say that in the long run your physical as well as mental health would prosper more if you could tone it down. You certainly are trying to move in the right direction with kayaking although I certainly hope that you don't add any woofers/power amps to the yak. I absolutely hate Rap ... but along with that HeadBanging simply HURTS.
Dr. Phil (fake wannabee .. BigBrother .. friend .. what ever) signing off .. :P ...... OK .. I left out OLD :|
Well thank you. I'm actually a quiet person. I'm not a mad at the world kind of guy. I like all kinds of music except rap as well (but a couple of them have their unique style and sound). I like any music that has a sound that I like - country, metal, punk, rock, pop, acoustic, jazz, instrumental, piano (rock is my favorite though) :D There are even metal bands that I don't like because they try too hard and I can hear it - it's just messy and loud. Static X is the band on the video and to some it may sound like noise but they have their unique style and sound. This isn't one of my favorite songs but I thought it was funny how they put mariachi music at the beginning of their cd and then transition it into this song :D

Everyone has the ability to turn off the volume :wink: if they really wanted too... Rene
TDD
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by TDD »

The Huntsman wrote:
TD wrote:You obvesously are skilled and tallanted and there is a good chance that one day your ability to think out side of the box will pay off for you in the end. The "Angry Music" as I call it, in your vidio make it very hard for me to watch and honestly want to take too serious. I won't ask you why you are so mad but will say that in the long run your physical as well as mental health would prosper more if you could tone it down. You certainly are trying to move in the right direction with kayaking although I certainly hope that you don't add any woofers/power amps to the yak. I absolutely hate Rap ... but along with that HeadBanging simply HURTS.
Well thank you. I'm actually a quiet person. I'm not a mad at the world kind of guy. I like all kinds of music except rap as well (but a couple of them have their unique style and sound). I like any music that has a sound that I like - country, metal, punk, rock, pop, acoustic, jazz, instrumental, piano (rock is my favorite though) :D There are even metal bands that I don't like because they try too hard and I can hear it - it's just messy and loud. Static X is the band on the video and to some it may sound like noise but they have their unique style and sound. This isn't one of my favorite songs but I thought it was funny how they put mariachi music at the beginning of their cd and then transition it into this song :D

Everyone has the ability to turn off the volume :wink: if they really wanted too... Rene
You are correct and I was just picking on the noise .. :P
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

length wrote:Cool boat! I like the music as well and I'm not mad at anything.
Ha ha ha! X2 dude!!

The Huntsman, neato innovation! Did that bone-shaped plan form come to you naturally, or did you pick up the idea from somewhere? Enquiring minds want to know!

Another nosy Q: did your screen name come from one of your favorite arachnids, per chance? 8)
The Huntsman

Post by The Huntsman »

I wanted to make something as wide as possible but still be able to paddle. I also saw how the freedom hawk worked and thought maybe having these "hips" would give a little more stabilization so I gave it that bone shape.

Yes, huntsman spiders. I took a neat pic of one of mine and put it on the front page of my website. http://www.HuntsmanExotics.com

I don't know if you guys are into this/or already know - but check out Monster fishkeepers on youtube. Its different people who keep huge fish and own huge custom tanks. Many of them are constructed out of simple plywood and fiberglass. I would like to try and build one of these tanks as well. Did you know manyof the fish coming out on the show Hooked are available from fish dealers here in the U.S.

Thanks for all the comments you guys.