S&G Kayak Plans!

chrysagon200

S&G Kayak Plans!

Post by chrysagon200 »

Greetings

I saw a friends Wooden Kayak a year ago and fell in love with the beauty of the simple boat... Due to the fact that I just moved to Texas from Louisiana, I stalled on my own construction of a boat for myself.. now I'm ready...

I bought a set of Guillemot S&G Kayak full scale plans last year and now I'm looking for someone in the Crosby TX area, or nearby, that would be interested in getting together building some Wooden Kayaks... I am a novice Luither with some basic wood working skills, and few power tools to play with as well...

Thanks
Terry
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: S&G Kayak Plans!

Post by Night Wing »

Just curious. Which model of Guillemot S&G plan did you buy with regards to length and width?
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Stuck in the Middle, Wadefish 15' -Heritage 9.5 Angler (OlllllO)

Post by Light Keeper's Kid »

Welcome Aboard :clap:

Mike
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

This one?

http://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/guillem ... ayak_plans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
4x4kayak2112
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by 4x4kayak2112 »

Pogo wrote:This one?

http://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/guillem ... ayak_plans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thats pretty cool a 17 ft kayak.......now how can i get the plans???
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

You got 'em right there. They're called offsets, and you use 'em to loft out your panels. Since they're free, the people who post 'em expect you to do the rest of the work; or in other words, expect you to know how to build a boat already. If you need more guidance, then you might want to buy a set of printed plans. Better yet, buy a set of plans and a couple books. It's also possible to buy a book and learn how to build a boat, and then use free offsets off the 'net or build one of the boats in the book.

More free kayak "plans":

http://www.squeedunk.com/c-16.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.nessmuking.com/articles/igdl ... nas-acuta/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://rollordrown.com/kayak/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

Kurt,

Thanks for the links. The Point Bennett sea kayak looks very nice. I like the way it comes in different lengths.
chrysagon200

Post by chrysagon200 »

yes that's the set of plans that are free, But I bought the pre-printed full scale plans ready to lay out on the plywood and cut.

so... now... who is interested around my area in building some mighty fine boats!

Thanks
Terry
chrysagon200

Post by chrysagon200 »

ok, well..

there has to be someone that builds Kayaks, or wants to build a boat around my area?

Thanks
Terry
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

chrysagon200 wrote:ok, well..

there has to be someone that builds Kayaks, or wants to build a boat around my area?

Thanks
Terry
You haven't listed your location in your profile next to the message area so no one knows where you're from.
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

chrysagon200: There are a couple of areas around Texas where you can find boat builders but there's not as many as you would imagine. As much as we talk about it and show the pictures you'd think they're on every corner, but not so. Most people go ahead and start their boat and get advice and information from more experienced builders on sites like the TKF Boat Builder Forum. We will never fail to give advice--sometimes conflicting advice--but by golly we'll give advice. With anything on the internet you need to use common sense when you choose what to do. You can also show up at some of the gatherings. The TKFBBR (Boat Builder Roundup) will be held every year in May at some nice location. You should be able to see many boats there. You can also go to my site and look through all the different build albums. Pogo also has an excellent site. You can google wood composite or just plain wood boats and get a lot of information.
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

As Nightwing says, anyone who wants to get together with others would do well to post his location, and maybe a little bit of other personal info, on his profile. Yes, you posted that you're in Crosby. But still, just sayin'. :idea:

I can't figure out how you'd "get together to build a boat"? If I build a boat, I'm gonna do it here at my own place; and like most home boat builders, I barely have room to build one boat, let alone have a couple going even if I did want to allow someone to build their boat in my shop, which is highly unlikely. Generally, when people don't respond, it's because they can't figure out what you're asking, so maybe you could explain what you're looking for a little more fully and in different words. :idea:
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Pogo raises another good point. I build lots of boats. But...I only get to work on them and hour or two a day and then some on the weekends. It's really hard for anyone to get with me when I'm working on the boats.