Big Man Fishing Kayak

BFE

Big Man Fishing Kayak

Post by BFE »

I am looking for information for building a S&G fishing kayak with an open cockpit. I weigh about 280lbs does anyone know were I can get instructions for this type of kayak. This will be my first build I am really looking forward to it , any info would be appreciated.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Big Man Fishing Kayak

Post by bowgarguide »

Try looking at the WTV on Jemswatercraft website,that boat is very stable and will carry a ton,also contact Gerald he might have one drawn up.
Ron
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Stuck in the Middle, Wadefish 15' -Heritage 9.5 Angler (OlllllO)

Post by Light Keeper's Kid »

X2 Because i should have listened the First Time :roll: That is my next build the WTV :wink:

Mike
Last edited by Light Keeper's Kid on Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

8) I'd check out Preacher's decked pirogue! It might just be what you're looking for! Hunt around on this site, the build is documented.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

I guess I should ask what do you intend to do with this yak,that makes a difference in your choices.
Ron
BFE

Post by BFE »

I will be using this kayak for open water fishing in the bay, and local lakes, I already have plastic kayak that I have been using for about three years my average trip is 7 to 12 miles so I need something that is little more comfortable and hopefully a little faster.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

The T-v are the wide Tv would work good for that .
Ron
barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

bowgarguide wrote:The T-v are the wide Tv would work good for that .
Ron
:shock: Isn't that what Preacher built...a 15-32?...maybe...
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

I know Zeke built one.
Ron
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Here is the build thread on Zekes 15 32 WTV

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 1&t=122571" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ron
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

barditch wrote:
bowgarguide wrote:The T-v are the wide Tv would work good for that .
Ron
:shock: Isn't that what Preacher built...a 15-32?...maybe...
Naw, I did use a lot of Matt's ideas but the Bumble Bee is a flat bottom Pirogue. 16'X34". It's fast (for a flat bottom fishing boat) but not like a yak. I love the BB but my heart is aimed at the Cape Cod on JEM. 16'X32". Matt says it is fast and holds a lot of weight. The second yak I was looking at is the 16'X32" Wade Fish but Matt thinks the Cape Fear will be the best for my bay and marsh fishing (and doing a lot of miles). I got the plans and found the wood for a good price but I'm doing a litt5le boat for my baby bubba starting next week, then MY TURN.

I think it was Lightkeeper who built the Wade Fish on this forum. A very nice boat and a fast (fishing) boat.

This is the Bumble Bee.
I have plans that I drew up if you want them. No instructions, just drawings with measurements.

This is Lightkeeper's Wade Fish
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

The Wadefish is a Great Kayak but I've been looking to find a way to be comfortable in it. I've been working on this problem for awhile and I think I have fixed it by sawing the legs off a plastic lawn chair. It may seem weird but I cut the rear legs off at the seat and cut the front legs off 2" longer so that it tilts back about 20 deg. going to try it out tomorrow. The main problem with being 6' 4" and 290 is sitting on a flat surface and no back support its a fun killer :roll: and it doesn't matter what kayak your in if your not comfortable its a waste of time trying to have fun and 99% of the kayak seats sold are not for a older and taller person. Ron solved his seating problem some what the same way. I'm also finding that my Wadefish is just a day tripper and will not hold a icechest like i want and thats why my next build will be the WTV so that I can but a icechest like Ron's behind me.

Mike
PlanoDano

Post by PlanoDano »

BFE
I am very glad you posted this as I am looking for some of the same ideas or just what to look for in a design that would help with the challenges of fishing open water. Like yourself I am north of 250 lbs. First in open water we are facing wind and chop and our large upper bodies catch the wind pretty good. I had a plastic boat with a lot of rocker (scrambler xt) and paddling against the wind was extremely tough. I went to a boat with less rocker (trident 11) and it paddles a little better against the wind but does not feel all that steady in following seas. With high winds and caps the trident is downright scary where the scramble used to be ok. I had a long sink (loon 16t) that would perform ok but was really heavy for a guy with several disc surgically fused.

So I am hoping the extra length will solve the problem and the best way to get the length and reduce weight is with wood with the bonus being that they just look nicer. I also have been eyeing the jemwatercraft.com site and was trying to balance the tradeoffs between "Cape Fear", "South Wind 15 32", and "North Wind" without success. I was also eyeing the "Wadefish" SOT but it wasn't keeping within my goals for vessel weight.

Can anyone comment on what design features to look for when fishing open water?
Can anyone comment on if a rudder will help in following seas?
Finally, are there any kinds of designs to avoid if fishing at anchor in open water?

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, just looking for more detail on the same question.
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Planodan,have you looked at the WTV in the E_mail plan section of jemwatercraft? Ron and others including myself had ordered this plan for ourselfs,its shape is designed to be easier and faster to paddle. And if you want Matt with jemwatercraft will for a small fee include plans to deck that boat for you if you can't build the decks yourself or Gerald with BBW can design a boat for you :wink:

Mike
BFE

Post by BFE »

Thanks for all the information you guys have been a big help. I decided on wade fisher 15-32 x Jems I like this boat because it has scupper holes and easy access for an ice box and fishing gear, the only changes I want to make to this design is add a hatch in front and the back of the boat. I am sure I will have more questions especially about the fiberglass work. I will post pictures when it is complete.
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

BFE, i would plan on a rudder also because when you have a following sea or paddling down wind it will want to wind-cock sideways on you :wink: I got caught in a wind that blew up on Granger Lake and had to take a emergency route down wind and i would have paid a million dollars for one that night :roll:looking forward to your build and i would also choose your icechest ahead of time in case you need to change your baitwell area :wink:

Mike
PlanoDano

Post by PlanoDano »

Thanks for the recomending the WTV. I had not looked at it as I had assumed it was a flat bottom boat. I will give it a close look.
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Your Welcome Sir,we as larger men are always having differant problems than most :wink: And keep in mind the style of boat that Strider Paddles from Brazos Boat Works,you my want to shoot him a PM and ask him about the model he has. I've seen him paddle it and it seems very fast,he had it at the TKFBBR and you can see pics on the "post your boat"stickey on this forum. Good luck on your build and never be afraid to ask a question on this forum,we all love to chime in on anything :wink:

Mike