epoxy thats hypoallergenic

4x4kayak2112
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

epoxy thats hypoallergenic

Post by 4x4kayak2112 »

i need to find some epoxy thats hypoallergenic.....today i tried to epoxy up may rudder with "west-marine marine epoxy" and my arms and hands swelled up...... maybe it was polyester???

it was like 12.00 a quart, and had a small tube of harder (11cc).
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: epoxy thats hypoallergenic

Post by bowgarguide »

That was poly.
Ron
4x4kayak2112
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by 4x4kayak2112 »

bowgarguide wrote:That was poly.
Ron
thanks Ron......yea when i bought it i asked the guy if its 2:1 and he looked at me funny and siad that was all i needed...

now that i looked at the us composites website it was poly.....so i guess i have to get some real epoxy
cadruss2004
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by cadruss2004 »

Poly is real nasty, a good reminder to read the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) that is supposed to be with that sort of stuff.
Poisoning and allergic reactions can become worse with time so get to the doctor or E.R.
And never trust West Marine to know what you really need, they're just salespeople.
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Polyester IS nasty stuff. Epoxy is much less toxic--though not completely benign. Work in a ventilated area and wear rubber gloves. You CAN develop sensitivity to epoxy.
JEM

Post by JEM »

gerald wrote:Polyester IS nasty stuff. Epoxy is much less toxic--though not completely benign. Work in a ventilated area and wear rubber gloves. You CAN develop sensitivity to epoxy.
Spot on gerald.

Epoxies that are "no blush" or have a slow cure rate tend to cause less sensitivity. I've used some cheaper 3:1 mix ratio epoxy in a not-so-well-ventilated are and my skin started to tingle a bit. I've used no-blush epoxy from Progressive and also Silver Tip from System Three in the same situation and had no issues at all.

The culprit is a chemical in the hardener to trigger the curing reaction that causes the health issues. It's the same ingredient that causes more tendency for amine blush. Your cheaper epoxies (and sometimes faster cure rate epoxies) tend to use that chemical more. I heard West System used to be infamous for this.

But in any case, follow the safety precautions that come with the epoxy.