Anybody sold their wood boat?

TexaRican
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Anybody sold their wood boat?

Post by TexaRican »

Just wondering if any shadetree builders have ever sold one of their builds? No, not looking to go into business :lol: Fact is, all my Momma-don't-know-about funds have gone to golf clubs and tools lately. The only way I'm getting started on a 2nd build anytime soon is to sell the first one and use those funds. Second build would cost me way less since I learned so much the first time and would not have nearly as many incidental purchases.

I think it is a fine boat and will last many years but I just want something about 20lbs lighter and possibly a little shorter. Thinking about a canoe to be honest. Just barely big enough for me and my kid on 2-3 hour paddles.
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Stuck in the Middle, Wadefish 15' -Heritage 9.5 Angler (OlllllO)

Re: Anybody sold their wood boat?

Post by Light Keeper's Kid »

Thats a Good :?: I was thinking the samething about my Wadefish SOT because I want to build a SINK because of my Big Boy Size i want to be more comfortable :lol:

Mike
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: Kayak Featherlite 9.5 Mini-x Predator K140, Percption Swifty,Necky Zoar Angler

Post by Randy »

Pepperfool, send me some pics and a price, I may be interested,,,,,,,I dunkno though, seems like alot of personal sweat and effection would go into building one of these,,,, ya know, didn't you bond with it,,,,,,? Buying another mans personally crafted boat,, would be like getting married agin,,,, ya just gotta keep telling your self,,,, it is new to me even though it is used,,,,,,,

man I have some warped logic.....

seriously, I may be interested

Randy
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

For whatever it's worth, I've been around this nutty hobby for a while and here's what I've seen and/or experienced:

People who build nice sea kayaks from CLC or Pygmy kits do well to get their money back out of the kit. Or in other words, ~$800. This is for classically beautiful wooden sea kayaks with opulent extras and six coats of spar varnish. Strip boats, maybe a grand of they're lucky. For somewhat well-known builders with excellent selling savvy, as much as $1500. Kinda depressing, actually, but that's what I've seen.

I've sold a couple of my own boats, both S&G and strip-built sea kayaks, considered "works of art" by many peanut gallery types, for $400 more or less. But that was before I discovered varnish, or learned how to apply it appealingly (still working on that one, actually). Or something. I'm sure a lot has to do with how hip you are as a salesman, and I'm obviously quite the dud.

My advice is to name an attractive price (read: cheap) both to go ahead and move it, and to have a happy buyer who won't end up nit-picking or wanting you to refinish it or something.
TexaRican
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by TexaRican »

Well, I would not be looking to profit - not even close in fact. I just want to get enough funds for my next build.

Randy, I'll send you a link to my build-along. All the pics you could want there.

My wife is gonna kill me. :roll:

Re-frame back door and weatherstrip
crown moulding in family room, breakfast are and kitchen
heat reflective window tint on west side of house
weed gardens
build teak shower stool
plantation shutters for front windows
yada yada yada yada
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Hubby's sanity: priceless. (And it ain't "another woman".) yadda yadda. Just sayin'. :D
TexaRican
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by TexaRican »

Tomorrow is my last "off Friday" of my company's 9/80 summer schedule so I plan to knock out a few of those honey-do's. Problem is that I've got the golf bug again after many years of lay-off. It is worse than my fishing, boatbuilding or woodworking bug right now.