Fall Project...

barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Fall Project...

Post by barditch »

I'm going to reconfigure my PB this fall. It's a welded aluminum 18 ft. w/a side console which is a mortal pain in the butt and hard on the body in all but the smoothest water. After doing the research, to replace the sole, I'm going to utilize 1/2" marine plywood on the deck, coat it with 3 coats of epoxy, and finish the job w//2part polyurethane paint. (The sole is the main problem. soft w/rot which means the side console flops around, so, I'm going to a center console design). I'm also going to a painted deck format from the lovely carpet that the mfg. co. used to cover up numerous sins.
The question(s):
1.) How fine do I sand each individual coat of epoxy: 80/120/220? or what?
2.) Will I have any problem w/ the two part polyurethane paint reacting poorly with the epoxy? (Like, it won't stick, or will fall off like old dead skin in a year or something??)
3.) I'm building a custom center console to hold both the basic boating stuff (steering, engine controller, fuel tank, electronics, etc.) What weight fiberglass cloth would be appropriate for the console??
It ain't a kayak, but, it will be hauling one from time to time...and I have had to paddle it once, if that counts.
Thanks, guys,
Red
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: Fall Project...

Post by gerald »

I always think people get carried away with this sanding stuff. I have a lifetime of experience with wood working and refinishing. I don't have any problems and I get good results. On my boats I sand the wood with 60 grit ROS. I sand epoxy coats with 80 grit ROS. If I want to get really radical I'll sand the epoxy with 100 grit ROS. Then I hand sand with 100 grit sanding pad (scotch brite pad). Then I varnish with polyurethane and sand between coats with the scotch brite pad (if I get crumbs I'll use 150 sandpaper--then back to the sanding pad). In your case paint with the two part urethane. Epoxy is a great substrate for urethanes--two part or otherwise. It will stick very well.
6 oz. e-glass is your standard cloth to use when you are laminating over a solid wood structure. This includes kayaks and small paddled craft.
Dogpaddlin

Post by Dogpaddlin »

Gerald,

What is ROS?
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Random orbital sander
I answered because I think Gerald is going to be out a day or two.
Ron
barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

bowgarguide wrote:Random orbital sander
I answered because I think Gerald is going to be out a day or two.
Ron
:shock: You have a security leak! I don't own one of those, yet, but Home Depot (4 blocks over) just dropped 4 cookies in my computer and sent me nine spams...should I pay a little more attention to my emails from Norton?????