wood strip question

TexasZeke

wood strip question

Post by TexasZeke »

As yall may have noticed Christmas is rapidly approaching. As a rule I try to make part of my gifts each year and have questions about one of them. What it is going to be basically is a strip built box, actually a shaving kit. I'm going to figure out the shape I want and make frames to shape it and glue it up. I have plenty of scrap WRC but it all seems to be real light in color and I would like some contrasting strips. For the looks and durability it will be built just like a boat, cloth inside and out and epoxy. To get the contrast can you use stain under epoxy or would I be better off picking up a darker color board? If so what kind of stain? I have lots of stains but if it ends up I'm going to have to buy the stain I'll just by a board.

Another question just popped into my head. Anybody got about 4 square foot of 4oz cloth they don't need? I can, and probably will, use the 6oz I have but it seems like overkill.

Another thought, I'm guessing since it will live it's life indoors epoxy will be fine without a varnish or anything over it

kevin
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: wood strip question

Post by gerald »

Most water based stains or dyes that soak into the wood and don't leave a residue are ok to use. They will have little effect on how the epoxy sticks. Darker color cedar is easy to find. It's the light and white in usable amounts that are usually harder for me to find. McCoys and Home Depot in Waco have darker WRC than Lowes--usually.
I have plenty of 4 oz. s-glass scrap but s-glass is not perfectly clear like e-glass. You can sometimes see the weave of s-glass. I may even have enough scraps of 3 oz. satin e-glass. I'd have to look. Depends on how big you need each little scrap. Unfortunately--starting thursday I'll be down for the count for several weeks--maybe a little longer.
As for living indoors--depends on how long you plan for the box to last. After 40 or 50 years, maybe sooner, it will be showing some degradation...

You never know. 1000 years somebody may pay millions for an original Zeke.
barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

:shock: I don't know what you meant by "...down for the count for several weeks," but it would be considered inappropriate behaviour to be in dire straits, healthwise! There are those of us who have not learned enough, if you get my meaning! 8)
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

....uummmm...down for the count means minor foot surgery which will require me to keep my foot elevated far in excess of what you would think is required. At least that's what they tell me. I had visions of taking the weekend off then running with the bulls of patagonia. Or maybe that was the goats of Bologna. Or the yaks of....
barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

gerald wrote: I had visions of taking the weekend off then running with the bulls of patagonia. Or maybe that was the goats of Bologna. Or the yaks of....
:lol: :lol: Okay! I can deal with that...
cheapsk8
Location: Houston - In life as in baseball, it is the number of times you reach home safely that count.

Post by cheapsk8 »

TexasZeke wrote: What it is going to be basically is a strip built box, actually a shaving kit. I'm going to figure out the shape I want and make frames to shape it and glue it up.
You know we will expect pictures and a build along :wink:
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Oh I cant let this pass
Gerald just wants to be waited on hand and Foot
:D :D :D
Sorry Gerald
Ron