Plywood compared to strips

bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Plywood compared to strips

Post by bowgarguide »

Plywood compared to strips.
I have been thinking about the strength factor and quality of ply compared to the strip builts.
Do ya,ll think that with a similar layup which is the strongest?
Ron
cheapsk8
Location: Houston - In life as in baseball, it is the number of times you reach home safely that count.

Re: Plywood compared to strips

Post by cheapsk8 »

I would be intersted in the comments as well. Just a couple of thoughts, to get the juices flowing, but then again I have built neither but have done some woodworking

Glue joints, if made correclty ie not to big a gap and you dont starve the joint of glue, typically are stronger than the wood itself, so with a strip built you may have a stronger boat, but then again plywwod is glued up so that may put a hole in that theory.

I would think also with strip built it is easier to get a better quality wood as a whole.

Like I said I have built neither (yet) and will await those that know.

Once I have a few Honey Do's caught up I hope to build one in the future but it seems the honey do list grows faster than the rate I can complete them, and I am too tight and frugal to pay someone else to do them for me.
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: Plywood compared to strips

Post by gerald »

I can not emphatically tell you that one or the other is stronger. There are times I think S&G is stronger and times I think strip built is stronger. I've never had catastrophic failure with either method--and I do things with my boats that most people don't do. If I had to choose the method if I could only have one--I'd choose strip built. Not just for reasons of strength because both methods are plenty strong and can be made stronger. I would say this is generally a wash...