The newbie & Neches River Race -(it's Gerald's fault!!)

Firefly49
Location: Montgomery/Conroe, Texas WS Commander 14, WS Tarpon 140, OT Loon 160T, SrchrM1824

The newbie & Neches River Race -(it's Gerald's fault!!)

Post by Firefly49 »

..........first of all, let me correct that statement. Many, many thanks to Gerald!! When he first posted about the upcoming race and learning of his boatbuilding, I took an interest and PM'd him about them. I truly wanted to try the Neches river.... not as a race....but the experience to paddle it as it was not something I'd try alone. I held back on joining he and his friends for the pre-event scouting paddle because I didn't want to come off as a crazy female and "didn't want to hold them back". Oh, I felt I was a pretty strong paddler, but Lordy! we're talking 22 miles here!! I paddle a few miles for pleasure and fishing. Period. BIG period.

The two things really holding me back from participating in any form were 1) I just turned 60 a week ago and feeling pretty darn old and downright depressed thinking there weren't too many years left of physical activity.......and terribly regretting all those years I wasted for not doing things when I had the opportunity, and 2) one year ago this July I had a large mass removed from my lung (benign) and because of complications had been on 24-hr oxygen for 2 months and carried my little oxygen tank another couple of months while I weaned off. I had absolutely no idea whether I had regained lung function to do this. Believe me.........it was not a good year......sigh. :(

If it hadn't been for Gerald encouraging me to just go for the FUN of it, after all there'd be two checkpoints to take out when I got tired. So, off I went. I was so apprehensive before the race, seeing all the competition, the light and sleek yak's compared to my heavy old tandem Loon 160. Scarey. Then again, I was going for "fun", right? But Gerald had sent me some good tips and filled me on on what to expect. So why not? It's a good thing no one advised me the race would be more difficult this year because of high water or what I'd be getting into because of it -- portaging that Loon & taking it OVER logs in deep water (esp when a tandem canoe crashed into it knocking it out of my grasp and sending it off several yards -- that meant a swim out and hauling it back!!) By the time I reached the first checkpoint I knew I was doing well after 5 miles and paddled onward to the second with full intention of pulling out. But when I came around that corner and saw all the people on the bank.........and Gerald up there encouraging me.... I made that split second decision to grab my second wind and continue on. I knew Heidi and I were in the lead in my class Senior (50+) Solo Kayak..... and from then on it was a "do or die" attitude!!! ....and Heidi was a great gal....she works Tx Parks & Wildlife and just one of these gals with a great sense of humor and a full life of bicycling, kayaking.....you name it! I envy her ......and hope we get together now for some relaxing paddles .

The result???? Heidi came in at first place with a time of 6:04. I followed behind with a time of 6:07:24. Second place in my class and have the t-shirt and pretty bronze medal to prove it!!!!!!! , :lol: :lol: :lol:
The best part was when I checked my time with the officials, I was told that if I really wanted to see what I accomplished to go home and check the past years' results in my class on their website! Wow. Asked whether I'd be back next year? HELL, YES!!! But it won't be with the heavy Loon!!!!

The experience was incredible and the people I met were wonderful. I learned so much.......an easier and better way to strap down my Loon for transporting.....discovering I have NO paddling skills for encountering strainers....Lordy, how many times I got caught up in them and and trapped!!!!! The STUPIDIST thing??? :roll: having someone ask when we were 3/4's into the race ......WHY I WASN'T USING MY RUDDER TO MAKE IT EASIER? !!!!! and then stopping to unstrap it for me (with the type of paddling I've done over the years, I have seldom used it.........simply didn't even think about it for some reason......UGH! STUPID. STUPID. TOTALLY STUPID!!

Sorry for tooting my horn so so long........but, darn......I'm proud of myself!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks again, Gerald........it was great to finally meet you!
Attachments
Second Place, Bronze<br />Senior (50+) Female, Solo Kayak
Second Place, Bronze
Senior (50+) Female, Solo Kayak
The Finish @ Hwy 79
The Finish @ Hwy 79
Waiting for the race to start
Waiting for the race to start
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: The newbie & Neches River Race -(it's Gerald's fault!!)

Post by bowgarguide »

Firefly
First Congratulations
It is a blast paddling and seeing all the different yaks and competeters and a heck of an accomplishment to finish.
You should have come on and paddled the pre race with us,you would have been waiting on me after I hurt that wrist.
Oh yea you would have been the baby at 60. Go for the gusto girl ,I had a stroke about five years ago and was so weak I couldn't walk across the room with out resting.
Now I am chasing Gerald down rivers and havinga blast.
Better watch out Gerald will have you building a new wood boat for the next one.
Ron
Silver Rod

Post by Silver Rod »

Congrats FireFly49. Great Job.
Dogpaddlin

Post by Dogpaddlin »

Great report and Congrats! Sounds like a real adventure.
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Stuck in the Middle, Wadefish 15' -Heritage 9.5 Angler (OlllllO)

Post by Light Keeper's Kid »

:clap: BIG CONGRATS :clap:

Mike
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

I'm telling you that Firefly49 has great reason to be very proud. This was a very difficult year to race because of the slightly higher water. Little lower and it would have been easy like last week. Little higher and maybe even easier. However--it was tough. FF49 was also in a fairly heavy boat, but she is an amazingly strong paddler. I was worried about her for some of the very difficult portages over BIG logs but she did it. I don't know how. It was pretty tricky. She had a very good time as well. Well...I've got almost two months to exercise, try to cure the cramps, and get ready for the Trinity River Challenge. If I don't--she may beat me there as well!
1zaney1

Post by 1zaney1 »

Inspiring sister girl...keep at it and continue moving forward. I will take your courage to heart.
Firefly49
Location: Montgomery/Conroe, Texas WS Commander 14, WS Tarpon 140, OT Loon 160T, SrchrM1824

Post by Firefly49 »

TRINITY RIVER????????? DID I HEAR YOU SAY TRINITY RIVER, GERALD???????? OMG! Better tell me now what I'm getting into, heh-heh :lol:
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Firefly49 wrote:TRINITY RIVER????????? DID I HEAR YOU SAY TRINITY RIVER, GERALD???????? OMG! Better tell me now what I'm getting into, heh-heh :lol:
haha...I've never been there but I'm told it's a nice easy flatwater river paddle. No obstructions, no current to speak of, no portages. Just 11.8 miles of river paddling. 5.9 upriver and 5.9 downriver so there's no shuttle or pick up. That's good for me...haa. I'm gonna finish it! Come hell or highwater, cramps or vamps--I'm gonna finish. You have inspired me.

Randy was thinking about doing it. I'm hoping he still is because I've decided I'll be there. I was a little discouraged this morning when I emailed him that I wasn't...
Firefly49

Post by Firefly49 »

When......where.....and can you promise a wind to my back upriver?
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

http://www.down-river.com/trc/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...and I can promise you that if you are in front of me I'll blow a whole lot.......of hot wind....

After your performance on the Neches you don't need any wind at your back.
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Congratulations FireFly. Good show!

Gerald sorry about your cramps but I know you will be up and running soon!
yakin ag
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by yakin ag »

Looks like a fun trip! Congrats on your performance!
Lakemonster

Post by Lakemonster »

Awesome!!!!

That was a tough race indeed....

As a matter of fact... the third pic you have has my boat in the right lower corner.

Hope to see you there next year!!
Redeye
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Redeye »

What a wonderful post! You came, you paddled and you did it! :clap:

Firefly49,

Congrat's to you and way to go! :)
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: Kayak Featherlite 9.5 Mini-x Predator K140, Percption Swifty,Necky Zoar Angler

Post by Randy »

That is a cool post there FireFly,,,,, really cool and inspiring.......

Randy