Neches River Race--the Good, Bad, and Ugly.

gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Neches River Race--the Good, Bad, and Ugly.

Post by gerald »

A lot of people with a lot of different kinds of boats showed up at the race. A few pictures below will show some variety of boats. Really nice paddling scenery. Recent rains had raised the river just enough that the normal trails cut through the logs were underwater. This made the race one of the hardest in recent years. There was another TKF paddler there! Firefly49 brought her tandem and was paddling it solo. I was cruising good at the first check point. Unfortunately, about a mile past that check point I begain suffering from something that has been plaguing me for two years--ever since the 80 mile mark in the CR100--leg cramps. I battled the cramps for about 6 miles and finally had to pull out at the second check point. This is a problem I'm going to have to figure out before I do any more races. Sometime later Firefly49 paddled by the second checkpoint like she was born to race. Looking good and paddling strong! I was planning on getting a ride down to the finish, watch her come in, and help pull the boat in.

Unfortunately--I must now describe the bad--or even the worse. It took me quite awhile to find a ride with another racer and his wife (he also had pulled out with problems). We went to the finish line. I looked for the shuttle but it was full and leaving just as I arrived! Then I discovered that I didn't have my van keys! I'd left the damn things in the boat. I had to prevail on the very nice couple that had given me a ride to the finish line to take me back to the boat. These are long trips, a lot of it on washboard dirt roads, so it was some inconvenience for them I kept telling them that I really wasn't senile--I'm just acting that way. Anyway...got the keys, and back to the finish line. The shuttle was there, but full once again! Finally I got a shuttle ride to the starting point where my van was. I then drove to the second checkpoint and loaded my boat. It was starting to get dark by this time, so I just headed home. I never got back to the finish line, never saw Firefly49 again. From the way she was paddling I'm sure she did good, but she'll have to tell her story.
IMG_0761_640x480.JPG
IMG_0763_640x480.JPG
IMG_0768_640x480.JPG
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Neches River Race--the Good, Bad, and Ugly.

Post by bowgarguide »

Dang Gerald hate that deal with the cramps .
How many folks entered .
I sure hate I missed the run.
Ron
sab309

Post by sab309 »

I am fairly new to kayaking just under a year and a half but mainly the colorado river, and the beach when the tide is right to fish. Myself and a friend have been wondering if someone puts on these kind of events but have not found anything. I would to get the info from you for the future or future dates and location would be great. By the way sorry about your cramps.

sab309
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Ron: I'm sure there were more than 100 boats.

sab309: These are mostly for the hardcore racers, but there are also a lot of recreational paddlers that come to almost all races. I'll try to post most of the fun races that are good for recreational boats as well. The Neches race is one of them though it was a little demanding this year.

http://txcanoeracing.org/tcra1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.paddle24seven.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Charlie Tuna

Post by Charlie Tuna »

Gerald,

Sorry to hear you had to pull out. Based on my cycling days, bananas and lots of water help reduce cramps. Eat and drink plenty before the event.

As I mentioned in another post, Pam and I and others are doing a run down the San Marcos Saturday Aug 8. If you and others are interested let me know.

Charlie
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Charlie I would love to go but I promised to take my grandson fishing this next weekend--and I've got to work more on the boats in the shop. Ya'll have fun.
Several people have mentioned the electrolytes. I'm really beginning to think the problem is loss of muscle mass in my legs in the last four years because of the treatments and the bad knees. I'm going to work on it diligently until the next race on sept. 26th. We'll see what happens then. I'll pay particular attention to the electrolyte levels as well.
Charlie Tuna

Post by Charlie Tuna »

Gerald,

Sorry you can't make the San Marcos run. I hope to be able to get away more for some kayaking out on Lake Belton since the house remodeling is nearing completion.

Also the Trinty River race sounds like fun, may have to try and make that one.

Charlie