I need sot/sitin design help

gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

I need sot/sitin design help

Post by gerald »

I need help with a sot/sitin boat design. For example I need input on what level to put the top of the scuppers relative to the waterline. I'd like to have a dry cockpit, but I need input from those who paddle sots all the time. Right now I'm leaning toward putting the top of the scupper level with the waterline. The scupper will, of course, be at the lowest point in the cockpit which is right at the heels. 1/2" above the waterline is another possibility, but I need to know what the sot paddlers prefer.

Second question: At what level relative to the scupper (or waterline) should I place the seat pan. I need slope down to the scupper pit, but how much? I will probably go with the least I need for good drainage and install a seat pad of whatever thickness I determine for seating height.

The aim is to have a dry cockpit with comfortable seating that is very stable.

Thanks for any help that you can provide.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: I need sot/sitin design help

Post by Night Wing »

I'd go with at least 1/2" above the waterline. If you put some gear in the cockpit, the paddler's weight and the extra weight of the gear might let enough water into the cockpit floor and leave standing water if you go with putting the top of the scupper right at the waterline. Ever thought of 3/4" above the water line?
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

These are good thoughts. To clarify, I'm currently thinking about having the top of the scuppers at a design displacement of 275 pounds at the 4" waterline. Thus the top of the scupper would be 4" above the bottom of the boat. 100 pounds more would give 1" of sinkage. Not designed for that but it will handle it. So the top of the scupper is already at a height to take care of the weight at design displacement. 1/2" lower, at the 3 1/2" waterline might be feasable because the boat would rarely be fully loaded.
Keep up the comments. All will help.
redrun

Post by redrun »

Gerald: You may be the first to actually have a planned capacity based on a dry cockpit. My tarpon 140 is rated well beyond 250lbs but with my 250 in it the cockpit is "wet". I am intersted in what you come up with. For big paddlers or pack rats I think you need a weight capacity of 275 to 300 lbs with the scuppers 1/2" above the water line.

Seat position is completely different issue. I would like to see the floor of the cockpit level with a seat that sits slightly above and can be adjusted for comfortable height. I saw a new design that I think was by WS with a raised seating area for fishing and a lower position for paddling. My uncle and I drew up a plan a few years ago for a reversible seat. Dropped down into the well to sit on while paddling or in rough water. Get to your fishing spot and flip the seat over to give you 6 to 8 inches above the boat. Like a small raised platform.

Now that I have given you some input on SOT's I am sure leaning more towards a Hybrid design for my next purchase/build.
TexasZeke

Post by TexasZeke »

ok, this would be my two cents

I personally never liked a bunch of water in the boat. With the SOT I had depending on the load it did very good at keeping things dry for a kayak. Me, I would allow it the extra 1/2-3/4 inch, it's no fun sitting in water all day.

That being said, as you always tell us, the design should fit the need. If there is ever a chance you might take it camping or something where more than usual gear might be used, then I would make sure it's covered. If all you plan on doing is maybe some paddling, light fishing, you might get away with the lower scuppers.

Another thing to consider, or at least mine was like this. With the right amount weight, right direction and amount of chop and water would pump up through the scuppers. Now it would drain right back out, but it is something to consider. I'm assuming current might have the same effect.

kevin
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

My Ocean Kayak Big Game is rated 550 pounds. When I climb in at 265 and add my rigging, tackle boxes, rods and other stuff I add about another 100 pounds. My 2 seat scuppers have a water level of about 1 inch below the top of the scupper and they are about 6 inches in length. The 2 foot scuppers have about 1 inch of free board and they are about 5 inches long. The Big Game is 32 inches wide, 12' 9" long. At this weight the 2 tank well scuppers have water at the top and are also about 5 inches long. I stay perfectly dry if I stay out of the surf. Even when lakes get big water due to wind I normally stay dry except for spray.