Building a simple external strong back.

gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Building a simple external strong back.

Post by gerald »

I needed another strong back so I built one.

I start out with a simple ladder frame. In this case it's 2X6's, overall depth of 16".
A simple ladder frame.jpg
1/2" plywood glued on for the sides.
One side done.jpg
Now the other side.jpg
Stand detail.
Stand detail.jpg
Add the top.
Add the top.jpg
You're done
You're done.jpg
Tomorrow or the next day I'll show the forms attached.

...and here we go with the forms attached to the new strong back.
Forms on the new strong back.jpg
Cut N Shoot

Re: Building a simple external strong back.

Post by Cut N Shoot »

Thanks Gerald nice stiff back! I need to build one of those but I have to get that bow tillered first and install a water line at my cabin. Never ending story.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

This will get lost if it isn't made into a Sticky or some way to save it.
Dogpaddlin

Post by Dogpaddlin »

I have been reading about how to build one, the pictures make it all make sense.
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Night Wing wrote:This will get lost if it isn't made into a Sticky or some way to save it.
It will be added to the Building Tip thread when I get some time.
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Nice strongback -- you can build an unlimited number of boats on that baby, I'm thinking. Oh boy, how I envy your shop and ability to have more than one project underway at a time. Maybe some day . . . . .

Here's a pretty simple box beam strongback built of bargain bin plywood:

And an ever simpler T-beam affair made of same (I always ask for damaged plywood, get some GREAT deals):

gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Some great examples from pogo...

I've also added a picture with the forms attached to the new strong back in the original first post.
Turner

Post by Turner »

Gerald,
Talk about GREAT timing for this post!! I was gonna drop you a line asking about this very topic.

What is the finished table height on this strongback?
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

The table height is around 28" or so on this one. My other strong back is 27" high. Both are 12" wide on top. This can be variable depending on the height you like to work.
ojdidit

Post by ojdidit »

Having only built a boat with an internal strong back, How do you strip the deck with an external strong back?
Turner

Post by Turner »

OJ,
Go to Gerald website and into his photo galleries. On the album for Night Wings OI, you will see it. Go to:

http://texaspaddler.com/gallery/Night-W ... and?page=1 Go to page 5 and beginning on pictuer 40, you will see the Hull upside down on the strongback and the beginnings of the deck-stripping....

ojdidit wrote:Having only built a boat with an internal strong back, How do you strip the deck with an external strong back?
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

ojdidit wrote:Having only built a boat with an internal strong back, How do you strip the deck with an external strong back?
Turn the boat over and remove the stands attached to the forms. This is variable, but most of the time I apply fiberglass on the hull, turn the boat over and do the deck. Sometimes I remove the forms and do the inside of the hull first and replace the forms, but not often.
I do not like internal stiff backs (strong back) but will use them if necessary.
Dogpaddlin

Post by Dogpaddlin »

I have been working on building a strongback for my next project. One of my neighbors gave me a bunch of plywood so I have been trying to use it. So far the only lumber I have had to purchase is two 2"X6"X16'.

I installed handles at each end to make it a little more "mover" friendly, or at least as "mover" friendly as a couple hundred pounds wood can be :D

I also hate tripping over extension cords so I installed 4 outlets.

So here is my question, I used the ladder method similar to Gerald's but I don't have enough plywood to finish out the second side:
Is there any reason I can't just turn it on it's side (like the next picture) and mount my stanchions from here. Isn't the idea is to have a nice level platform to work from? Is another piece of plywood really going to make much of a difference?
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

I love the outlets idea! Great thinking. Man...ain't it wonderful the ideas that come out of this forum...
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Stuck in the Middle, Wadefish 15' -Heritage 9.5 Angler (OlllllO)

Post by Light Keeper's Kid »

I don't know the real answer but geralds looks like it's on it's edge. I think the ply is to be on the side.

Mike
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Oh...in answer to your question about laying the strong back on it's side:

It would probably work but you would loose the strength of the laminated plywood on both sides. In your scenario the strength is primarily coming from the 2 X 6 material. The plywood is serving as a stiffener for the 2 X 6 boards, but still the wide side of the solid lumber is providing the strength. Should be strong enough except for the fact that solid lumber tends to sag over time unless you have really straight and strong grain and/or you put the crown up. Even with the crown up it will sag over time.

With 12" of plywood laminated on both sides, and standing on edge, the plywood is providing the strength while the solid lumber is providing the stiffener. I add the plywood on top for more working space and edge clamping...and it adds to sideways stiffness...though that is just a peripheral benefit. Even with plywood laminated on both sides I add a little bit of crown to the strong back. I would rather my strong backs have a small amount of crown rather than any amount of sway back....