The 2009 Great Castell River Race is in the books...

DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: The 2009 Great Castell River Race is in the books...

Post by DarrellS »

Pogo:
Tues. I thought I was on the last step of a ladder (I was'nt) and stepped off and twisted my knee. Woke up early weds. morning extremely sick (sicker than any hangover you can imagine).That lasted thru Fri. I am about 80 percent today and the knee feels better.

As far as the stripper I was not worried about banging it up. My philosphy is "It was built to be used". Thanks for everyone s concerns. I don't know what I had but it was/is a bad deal. Wife has it now.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Talked to Darrel last Thursday
He would have had to look up to see a snakes belly.
Ron
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Personally, I believe ladders are more dangerous than table saws and you never hear much about 'em. I know of two people who have gotten seriously effed-up coming off a ladder in the wrong way. I'm happy to hear you only got a bit of soreness out of your little misadventure.

I also know you ain't no more worried about crunching your stripper than I am. I spent many a day on that river and others like it in my canoe. As you say, it's made to be used, and if it breaks I'll fix it and make it stronger. That's one of the cool things about building your own boat: if you built it, you automatically know how to repair it. 8)

Ron, you could've just grabbed 'im up and dragged his old carcass out there, y' know . . . . . :lol:
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Sounds like a great day and just maybe the water for a 14' Featherlite! :D
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Pogo
As sick as Derral was and the swift water and moss covered rocks,I tried to talk hi out of going.

Hirsh I paddled with a guy in one for a while.

I need to add something to my above post,the boat I was in was up to the task ,but being a rookie I didnt live up to boats potential. Now Gerald had a boat that was hadicapping him and he can live up to the potentiol of a new design. I am sticking with this one until I feel like a different boat will help me.
Ron
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Strider wrote:Gerald, thanks for the well-written and very entertaining report! I only wish I would have been there....to take pictures, cheer y'all on and meet you at the finish line with a celebratory beverage.

...BUT NOT TO RACE :shock: :)

kIM
They had free beer! at the finish line for the racers. Too bad I'm a Dr. Pepper man. They did give me a drink of water and let the old man sit down in their chair till I recovered from that last 1/2 mile. I was tuckered out...
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Hirschhunter wrote:Sounds like a great day and just maybe the water for a 14' Featherlite! :D
Yes...exactly. That would be a good boat for the Llano race. You would still want to use good sense when deciding to run a rapid or not (which I didn't), but the Featherlite would be a good choice.
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Stuck in the Middle, Wadefish 15' -Heritage 9.5 Angler (OlllllO)

Post by Light Keeper's Kid »

:clap: CONGRATS on a Great race guys :clap: Next year you guys are going to :horse:

Mike
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

I think Gerald will agree with me 6 inches less water would make it a whole new race ,a lot of dragging 6 inches more and the ride would get wilder.
Water conditions can change this race dramatically.
Ron