Post Your Boat!

generalnotes

Re: Post Your Boat!

Post by generalnotes »

This is a stitch and glue I made around 20 years ago and recently reworked for my daughter. Instead of fiberglass cloth, I used fabric from Wal-Mart! :lol:
5-11 029.jpg
airboat guy

Post by airboat guy »

http://www.southernairboat.com/phpBB3/d ... hp?id=5784" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mojo227

Post by Mojo227 »

Awesome airboat and I think I know right where that pic was taken!
airboat guy

Post by airboat guy »

well thanks bud, i appreciate that. alot of folks don't like the airboats, but their not that bad.
they really make my fishing easy. i can run downstream in a hurry. But i still rely on the yak,
as you see its tied up on front there
airboat guy

Post by airboat guy »

yep, thats one of my honey holes, got another between there and the one you got
caught all them channel cats from and posted on here around christmas. cant remember if it was b4
or after. but anyhow thats another place i fish
Iamdamoder
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Iamdamoder »

I'm just curious,

How does Airboatguy figger this stinkpot fits with the home built yaks and canoes here?

I guess you looked at a few pages of this thread and found some similarity that I missed. Perhaps you have a blog about building her that you forgot to link.

Thank you for sharing
airboat guy

Post by airboat guy »

well sir, technically it doesnt fit. But I'll tell you what, I love the river
as much as the next guy & i love my fishing as much as the next guy.
I've just chosen a little different form of transportation than most of you.
I do have a interest in kayak's,canoe's, etc tho :D
Draggin Yak

Post by Draggin Yak »

Homegrown

Post by Homegrown »

My first build. It's a Jem TV 15' long & 32" wide. Can't wait to get her wet. I'll post more pics when I get it finished.

http://s1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh5 ... 20Uploads/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HG
SKIFFGUY

Post by SKIFFGUY »

Wow... a LOT of cool boats on here.... I love seeing threads like this !
jjohnston

Post by jjohnston »

This is my first build, the Huntington Harbor from http://www.spirainternational.com
On her maiden voyage
100_3470.JPG
Another shot. the Green boat is my brother's Uncle John's Pirogue, his first build.
100_3473.JPG
just finished them this summer and already have the itch to build another, lighter one.
Weasle

Post by Weasle »

527283_4442973885443_551906073_n.jpg
16.5' USCA C1 My design on Autocad.
Woodbender

Post by Woodbender »

Dogpaddlin

Post by Dogpaddlin »

Woodbender,

VERY cool boat! How about some stats? I cannot/will not promise not to steal your paint scheme for my next build, too cool!!!
Woodbender

Post by Woodbender »

Dogpaddlin...

From bow to the back of the rudder assembly it's 20 feet long.
Maximum width is 22"
Designed by Skip Johnson
Built by me
The core is 3/8" closed cell foam stripped like a woodstrip. I think I used 6#
Inside has a layer of Kevlar
Outside has a layer of Kevlar, 4 oz cloth, and extra layer of 4oz cloth on the front and rear in skid plate areas.
I haven't weighed it lately, but prior to paint and with most everything in the boat, it weighed 34 pounds. I'm sure it's more than that now, but not sure by how much. I'll do a final weigh in once I'm completely done with everything.

I should be easy to spot on the Texas waters.
rpecot

Post by rpecot »

I've been lurking on this forum for some time. In fact, before I even moved to Texas. Well, I thought I'd share my one and only build. Uncle John Pirogue from a couple years ago.

I started working on a kayak paddle at the end of last year, but I stalled out. Need to get back after it...
ANMRanch

Post by ANMRanch »

Woodbender,
That's a cool paint job on the solo.
I saw your pictures over on TBH and was trying to figure out if it was a Spencer design or who.
Are you going to take it to Sea Drift?
Woodbender

Post by Woodbender »

ANMRanch wrote:Woodbender,
That's a cool paint job on the solo.
I saw your pictures over on TBH and was trying to figure out if it was a Spencer design or who.
Are you going to take it to Sea Drift?

Scroll up a little and you'll see specs/info on the boat and designer. I'm TC'ing for the Safari so not paddling this boat in it.........yet.
Baitman

Post by Baitman »

Very clean ! I bet that's lightweight too. Did you weigh it by any chance?
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

A link to my boats:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mo_kayaks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another link which includes power boats and video of my TNT 12' Jetski powered runabout:
http://s147.photobucket.com/user/scrawf ... t=3&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fishsaint78

Post by fishsaint78 »

StuckInTheMud wrote:So i built my boat before this index was here, but glad to see this forum thread added in!

Sides put together here

Full rub rail install. Had to bend these both at the same time together because i tried one at a time and almost had disaster. Heard a crack, stopped bending, and went to inspect. Didnt see any significant damange, so i changed tactics and bent both towards an end at once and clamped them. Then did the other end.

Letting the glue dry on the bottom piece here. In hindsight, and from advice from others, ice chests with water and other such methods work well for gluing :)

Routing off the bottom excess here to get a nice flush edge.

The filet work here. I never could get my hands on "official" wood flour being in san diego, so i took a mix of my sanding sawdust (sanding down the rubrails made a finer dust than the rest of the stuff, so thats what i used) It still had chunks i had to pick through, and it would have been nice to have clean stuff but it was my first build and this worked just fine. I also tried another method, of using flour. Worked pretty well too. The flour filet was lighter in color and the sawdust was the darker brown, but i was painting the boat so it wasnt an issue. If you're keeping it varnish color, obviously the single color is the way to go.

Putting in the wood blocks for the inside rub rail. Could have done this a little different, as far as epoxying the insides first, then putting these on while the epoxy was drying, or something to that effect. Nevertheless, it worked how i did it.

Inside rub rails clamped on

Glassing the inside. Lesson learned here was to go up further. I tried doing a "first coat" type approach, just getting enough on there to hold it in place. Well, i only went up as high as can be seen in the picture and once the stuff dries, the cloth is kinda stupid around the edges and you just have to cut and sand it down. If i wanted the cloth to be up higher, i should have put epoxy all over as high as i wanted it to go on the first application.

Bottom glassed up, and i went a little higher up the sides in this instance. Boat was going to be painted so it didnt need to go all the way up to prevent a "line" from showing, but maybe next time.

Here she is a sittin there with some coats of epoxy on her

And the final product.....

Fun little boat to build and cool to have!
Nice boat. Anyone know if uncle john's website is trustworthy? Also, what type of wood did you use?
StuckInTheMud

Post by StuckInTheMud »

Their website I would say is completely trustworthy. In what aspect are you asking though?

I used plywood from lowes, I think it was okume? Its the plywood that looks a little bit nicer, haha. The rub rails were Poplar, also from lowes or home depot
Woodbender

Post by Woodbender »

Here is my latest. A 3 piece nesting boat that assembles with 4 bolts.

f86sabjf

Post by f86sabjf »

I'm thinking about doing one of the Pygmy boat kits to get my feet wet. Anyone here ever done one of there kits?