Bash a success despite inclement weather

Strider
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Bash a success despite inclement weather

Post by Strider »

It was cloudy and muggy when Seashell and I left the house for Inks Lake state park Saturday morning, but that changed about an hour into the trip when we began to be deluged with sideways rainfall. When we arrived at the park the thunderstorms were in full swing, the wind was hooked up and rain was falling by the bucketfuls :shock: We waited at the HQ until it settled down and then drove over to the boat ramp where we waited another half hour or so while the rain fell in sheets. Some of the boats were already out on the grass there and they had plenty of water in them :)

Finally we were able to get out, don our rain gear and take the boat down to the show area. People began showing up one by one, and pretty soon we had a lively little crowd. The rain continued on and off but spirits were not near as dampened as our bodies were :D

Seashell saw her new boat for the first time and was paddling in it in no time :D

We had a little race, she in her boat and I in the Conquista. She smoked me of course :oops:

We returned and mixed with our fellow paddlers and TKF buddies.

I don't know whose these boats were but they were beautiful!

Texas Zeke was there with his homebuilt pirogue

Ron brought along a couple of his boats

Lighthouse Keeper's Kid showed off his new wood composite SOT

Here's a beautiful Skerry

Pogo offered to let Seashell paddle his Outer Island and off she went :)

We adjourned after a couple of hours of jawing and paddling, and began the camp festivities. Seashell and Hannah (Darrell's daughter) posed wearing s'mores makeup :lol:

We fired up the fryers and cooked up fish, calamari, okra and shoestring potatoes and everyone ate till they were full

Gerald "I don't like calamari" Kennedy on his third helping of the stuff :wink:

Pogo makes a comb out of a catfish backbone :)

Campside festivities - the fire wasn't the only thing glowing :D Attendees were Gerald, Ron, Turner, Rodloos, Lighthouse Keeper's Kid, Pogo, DarrellS, Hannah, Seashell and I.

The morning after

Breakfast :D :D

Seashell and I had a great time. This needs to be at least an annual event. Thanks Gerald for putting this together. The park was super-nice and the fellowship made the weekend a "top ten"!

Kim
Last edited by Strider on Sun May 17, 2009 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~BUCKSHOT~
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Bash a success despite inclement weather

Post by ~BUCKSHOT~ »

Looks like a fun weekend!!! :D
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Stuck in the Middle, Wadefish 15' -Heritage 9.5 Angler (OlllllO)

Post by Light Keeper's Kid »

It was a Great time,and for those who missed it missed Strider's Great cooking he spoiled them all with his outdoor Gourmet cooking :wink:

Mike
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

I had a great time and met some great people. There are some real craftsmen amongst us.

As everyone knows Gerald and Pogo are truly great. Ron builds some good looking day to day use boats (thats not a knock on Gerald who intends his to be) Dogpaddling had a great looking pirogue and Texas Zeke showed us a functional boat can be built quicky and inexpensively. I know I am missing others with some great boats. But I am going to single out one that really impressed me personally and that is Lighthouse Keepers Kid. For his first build he tackled a project no one else seems to have in building a SOT. It was a good looking craft that reflected time and care in his building.

I regret I did not stay for Strider's dinner and the extended comradery. I was not staying the night and wimped out of the wet chill about 3:00. Believing the forecast and not camping I did not have dry cloths or a jacket available. Next time I will plan on staying the night and not worry about heading home.

Thanks to everyone for making it a fine event.
barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

8) I agree with everything that's been said. There some real building talents around this site, and they are some very well kept secrets. I'd guess there were nearly twenty boats that showed up, and there were several folks who were scouting for ideas (and maybe some confidence) for their first build. I took a couple of photos that I'll add later, that point up the really fine detail that's present in most of these boats.
Most important, in spite of the beauty and craftmanship displayed in all of these boats, without exception, every builder said flatly that they built 'em to use, not show or "hang on the wall". Ain't no "trailer queens" in this herd!
Well done on the gathering Gerald, and Really Well Done on the boats guys.
Next year, I'm camping, and checking out Slider's good work! Heck, it can't rain 2 years in a row--that'd break the drouth!
Redeye
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Redeye »

Strider, nothing like having pictures and a great report to further humanize the internet!

You seem like a good dad too!

Kudos! :D
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

First...I want to thank everyone for coming to the Roundup. I had a great time and saw some really nice boats. As always I get sidetracked, running around at these gatherings like a chicken with his head cutoff and almost completely forget to take pictures. All of the boats at the Roundup were wonderful. Some of them I want to get more details on--and some I didn't even get pictures of. I have started a little TKFBBR album on http://www.texaspaddler.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, but I need more pictures, better ones and certainly those of boats I completely missed. So--I need to figure out how to get more pictures in the album. I have a guest album on my site where anybody can post pictures, but there is a size limit. If they're too big it won't work. Generally a picture that has been resized to 640 X 480 will work great. So if anybody with pictures will take pity on me and post them to the guest album I can move them to the TKFBBR album. Alternately you can email them to me.
I also want to apologize to all those I didn't get to talk with as much as I wanted.

With that out of the way I'll post a few pictures.
First one is of Beautiful Inks Lake.
Beautiful Inks Lake.jpg
Beautiful Inks Lake.jpg (27.42 KiB) Viewed 7277 times
...and now we have all the boats lined up. Mine are on the left. Look at the detail!
Take a look at the boats.jpg
Take a look at the boats.jpg (28.53 KiB) Viewed 7275 times
The wind blew a little. That's my ice chest with the lid blown open. Rain coming down. Can you see me rushing out there to close it...not!
Wind blew open the iceches.jpg
Wind blew open the iceches.jpg (23.5 KiB) Viewed 7275 times
But...the day eventually improved. This was my campsite.
Ink's Lake camping site.jpg
..and believe me. We really did have some nice boats. I think these are Birke's
Birke's boats.jpg
Please help me out with the album. We'll do it again next year!
I have a few more pictures at http://texaspaddler.com/gallery/album50?page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Iamdamoder
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Iamdamoder »

Love the rain but I feel like I missed out on talking with more than a couple of ya.
big X2 on camping next year.
I wanted to paddle a few boats but after Seashell got back with the sea kayak I was scared I'd look stupid. A little chilly to be wet.

Just an observation, did you all get new frog toggs for the event? Just when is too fuzzy? :lol:
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Redeye wrote:Strider . . . You seem like a good dad too!
Having a splendid kid helps; I was charmed by Seashell. Not only a great little gal in general, but a natural in a boat with a paddle, too. My eyes liked to bug out when I saw her edging turns. Now a lot of you won't even know what that term means, but there she was doin' it... :D

Ol' Dad made his own impressions by handing me fresh fried catfish backbones. It's a wonder I'm not hounding him everwhere he goes, and making a total pest of myself trying to scrounge another off him. Sure hated to miss breakfast over there, but I was busy with my own attendee-provided feed on the other end of the park thanks to Turner and Rodloos!

What a GREAT weekend! :D :D
DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by DarrellS »

I had a great time amongst good people and am looking forward to next year. Thank You for putting this on Gerald. There is some great scenery in that park.

The morning started off nice but sone the weather detoriated. As we gathered the rain soon started and put us all back in our vehicles.

HirschHunter riding the strom out.

The rain finally settled down and everyone started gathering to meet and look all the boats over.

The weather did little to dampen everyone's spirits. Even though it was the first time for alot of us to meet face to face, it seemed as if this was a gathering of old friends. Seashell paddled her new boat and seemed to take right to it.

She also showed her Dad (Strider) how to paddle with a little race. (Sorry but I had to post this Kim) :D

It was nice to be able to a face with some names. ( if I screw any names up. I am Sorry)

L to R: Gerald, Pogo, Hirschhunter, rodloos, hannah

Pogo's new and nice canoe.

One of Geralds very nice creations

Another of gerald's great boats

And Seashells new Pirogue.

My tub

I had eagerly been anticipateing Strider's cooking skills all day, so when it was time to head over to Gerald's campsite I went with great enthusiasim. Sorry but I did not get a picture of the meal, but I was too busy eating it. After enjoying a great meal we all settled in around the fire to enjoy some conversation about building,paddling fishing and camping.

(L to R) Strider, Gerald, Pogo, Turner, Rodloos

You can take fisherman to a boat show, but you can't keep'em from fishing. Turner and Stider with a couple of nice Sunfish.

Seashell and Hannah seemed to hit it off pretty well and were gone exploring most of the time but keet us entertained while around. Those S'Mores can real messy.

All too soon it was time for everyone to start heading for their own camps a little shut eye. Seashell called this morning with a invite for breakfast Tacos. Here is Strider working his majic with Breakfast.

After a long Breakfast it was time to break camps and head for home. Hannah's boat (soon to be replaced with a wooden craft), Seashell's new boat and my old tub loaded for the ride South.

Again I had an extremely good time, despite the weather and I am eagerly looking forward to the next TKFBBR. Thanks again Gerald for sponsoring this event and this forum.

One more thing. Gerlad and I figured out what I am going to build for my daughter. Stay tuned.........
barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

:D Super Day...Enjoyed meeting everybody! Next year I'm bringin' the tent...
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Minor correction to Darrell's caption: My canoe isn't new (but thanks for the 'nice' :D ), it was built in Fall of '07. Birke had the REAL new and nice canoe. Also, note how mine it lashed to a tree -- it was bucking and pitching and getting set to flat blow away, that's why. One of the hazards of building ultra light, I guess.

Gerald mentions being sorry for not being able to talk to everyone as much as he'd like to because of running around like a chicken with his head cut off, and I'll second the "complaint". If there's a downside to an event like this, well, the severely limited amount of time you get to spend talking to everyone would be it.

Pictures . . . would you believe I never took a single one? Man, I'm gonna have to break down and buy a waterproof camera one of these days.

One last thing: I never come home from a deal like this without some new inspiration to go to work on. This time it comes from Ron . . . I'm gonna build me a homemade camper, or at least start looking at it on the ol' drafting board just as soon as I do get finally home. The one he built fairly blew me away -- it's way way way better than a teardrop, and just as compact (and homemade!). May have to sweet-talk Ron into cranking up a thread on it . . . if we can get the off-topic subject past the moderator. :wink:
DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by DarrellS »

Yes, Birkes boats were extremly nice. Pogo, A S&G camper is also on my todo list. I know this is a boat builders forum but maybe we can talk Ron into showing a few build pics of his camper. This was the first time he has had it out and said it was very comfortable.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

A BIG THANKS TO GERALD FOR COMING UP WITH THIS
Fellas ,and I am not going to try to type all the nicks, I really enjoyed the weekend of meeting friends and making new friends at Geralds Bash.
The only downside to this weekend was it made me want to build prettier boats. :D
I drove down and hit the rain about five miles from the park ,after checking in I rode and rode and rode trying to find the spot the shindig was at. Dadburn park is big 400 camp sites and the way the loops were laid out I think who ever had that job was on the sauce. Finally found everyone
and it was still raining cats and dogs ,after a while I decided to unload the boats,well we tested the nose on one of my boats out,it had about ten gallons of water in it. yep all ran to one end and off the jeep she came, the nose knocked a hole in the ground about 4 inches deep, one gentleman
standing there said I wondered if these wooden boats are tough that didnt even scratch the nose.
After that unloading the other boat (slower I might add) I started looking around at the fine workmanship ,it is a pleasure to meet that many craftsmans in one place. They were all pretty well made and functional.
I was impressed bye all the boats but special note should go to Light Keeper Mikes SOT for a first build Mikes boat was fantastic.
I was cold and wet ,we all helped each other load the boats and I went back to camp made some hot coffee and crashed for a while , I love my other little playtoy I buillt ,I was warm comfortable and really enjoyed the camper.

That night I enjoyed the conversation and food that the guys had ,and Kim and Darrels daughters keep us entertained and rolling with laughter.
The next morning breakfast and more good conversation.
Besides the weather you couldn't as for a better weekend.
Ron
Darrel ask your daughter if Num Chucks means anything
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I too thoroughly enjoyed the weekend, was lucky enough to grab a camp site right next to Pogo's *and* close the gathering spot for Saturday's boat show. Turner and Pogo and I enjoyed visiting over breakfast.

*All* of the boats were so inspiring and fun to look at, and even though I had not met everyone prior to the event, I was made to feel I was among friends.

Thanks Gerald and Kim (Strider) for the hospitality Saturday night and great cooking, it was fun to sit around the fire and visit.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Gerald's squirrel! :)

When you plan the next one Gerald, I'll be making my reservations the day I find out about it!
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

rodloos wrote:I'm surprised no one has mentioned Gerald's squirrel! :)
We're trying to keep him out of the pokey, which ain't always as easy as we make it look. :P

One more note about Ron's camper: after seeing photos of it I was convinced it was far too sawed-off and short to be worth a hoot, but lemme tell you, there's a LOT more room in there than meets the eye! When Ron was showing it off to me, we both ended up sitting around just shootin' the you-know-what inside that baby for half an hour, as if it were a living room. I'm actually comparing it more to a Casita than a teardrop since there's plenty room for a galley inside, and you wouldn't have to make much bigger to put a head in it.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

Awesome report. :D All of the photos in this thread are superb. I loved seeing all the different boats. Too bad work gets in the way of events for me.
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Oh yeah. I forgot about the squirrel. I got to Inks Lake very early friday morning. I took a nap in the back of the van. I woke up with something crawling all over my legs. I started kicking around and kicked a huge squirrel out of the van. That thing had been in bed with me! I started looking around and found that he had eaten half a loaf of bread while I was asleep. Later I went to town to get some more ice. I also got another loaf of bread. Back at the campsite I was fiddling around when I noticed I'd left the van door open. Went to shut it and, damn there's that squirrel jumping out of the van with a full slice of bread in it's mouth. It had got half of the new loaf! The squirrel was big as a house cat but I bet it's bigger now.
AyJay
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AyJay »

Sweet. I'll have to bring my boat down for next year. It may just be finished by then. :D
Turner

Post by Turner »

Here are my photos from the TKFBBR2009.... check them out....

http://photobucket.com/TKFBBR2009
DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by DarrellS »

Turner, Those are great pictures. That double exposure is crazy. Gotta get me one of those cameras.
Darrell
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

X2 :D

Mike
Dogpaddlin

Post by Dogpaddlin »

The Bash was a HUGE success in my book! I had flown my mom in for mother's day and then drug her out with me. Despite the rain we had a great time. It was nice to put faces with all of the names here on TKF, got some great advice for my next build, and got to paddle several of the different boats there. I will also say you can not fully appreciate the beauty of these boats until you have seen them in person, pictures do not do them justice! I only wish I had planned to spend the night, looks like they had a great time!

I will definitely be there for the next Builders Bash, and the next one, and the next one, and the next one....
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

I stayed on at the park for another day or two to make sure there was no mess left behind 8) , spent all day Monday on the lake in my canoe with ultralight spinning tackle. I started off flingin' those little H&H Cutie Pies, but quickly turned to Roostertails as the better bet for the conditions I was seeing. Gerald's sentiments ran though my mind as I put 'em to work: stick on a curly tail grub body, and retrieve it just fast enough to swim the tail. Didn't take long before I was raising brim that'd please a Cajun. I quickly decided a brim dinner was in the works, and turned to my "task" with all due "seriousness". I only kept one great big one, because I prefer the hand-size ones for frying up whole . . . and besides, I never feel right about keeping really big fish I catch. Oh, I've done it, and I'll do it again, but I always feel happiest turning the hosses loose, thanking them as they swim away, and boxing the little brothers and sisters.

Whatever, this time I kept one of the big guys specifically so I could take a picture of him since I don't take cameras to sea (can't afford a waterproof one). I musta caught a dozen of this size - that cork handle is 12" long.

I also remembered another reason why I don't like keeping hoss perches while at the fish cleaning shack. MAN, that's like dressin' out a Sheepshead! I ended up filleting him -- and yes, frying up the backbone too, you betcha! Probably caught a dozen this size.

Once you caught a mess o' perch, whaddya DO with 'em??? Oh gee, let me think...

Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Your a Wild Man :D They look good :wink:

Mike