Building Fiberglass Panels

redrun

Building Fiberglass Panels

Post by redrun »

I ran upon an article a few years ago about building your own fiberglass building panels. The basics of the process: Take a piece of laminate (Formica) and lay out the shape of your needed panels. Tape off the shape. Coat the laminate the a release agent. Lay down a gel coat and build up a layer of cloth and fiberglass. Then simply peel off your thin panel and trim to shape.

Anyone ever used a process like this? Cost comparrison between using good marine grade plywood vs building your own panels? I can't find the article any more but I'm still looking..
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Building Fiberglass Panels

Post by bowgarguide »

Red
Your weight to get the same strength would be much greater with the panels than wood enclosed in fiber glass. I have built some panels like that to cover the top of storage lids and match the inside of a glass boat.
Ron
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Nope. Never used that method. Never will either. Use google and search for composite boat building methods or other similar criteria. There are many better methods than what you describe. Once you have a plug, fiberglass boats are easy to build--hard chine or soft chine.
redrun

Post by redrun »

thks for the quick response. Just bouncing around ideas.
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

...and keep bouncing those ideas around. We all learn something from this stuff. Me especially. Once you get in a rut you are done. Actually I'm going to think about this some more. I'm trying to remember some panels that are commercially available for boat building that work pretty much the same way...though they are prepreg--already coated with an epoxy and just require heat to cure. Seems like there were a few other things. Whew...I'm glad you asked this question. I think I was in danger of getting into a rut...
length
Location: Opinions are like rear ends every one has one and they all stink from time to time!

Post by length »

I think I will try this for a new cover on a TTop! The old canvas ripped in Ike costs 400.00 to replace. this might be the ticket