you can laugh at me, but I'm going fishing by golly

TexaRican
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

you can laugh at me, but I'm going fishing by golly

Post by TexaRican »

Some of you may recall the seat I built for my Texas flats canoe.
Well, I think my design was ok but the material was lacking. The back supports, cedar, split when I leaned back hard. I thought I could glue them back up and shore it up with some deck screws to get me out on the lake this Sat - NOT. Had a very busy work week and my only spare late night hours were spent throwing together a prototype front seat for my kid. More on that later.

So with daylight dwindling and the Rockets about to come on, I had to think of a way I can get out on the water Sat. Won't have any time to work on this tomorrow. Just enough time to load up tomorrow night. So here is my sad but effective temporary fix.

Normally I don't build prototypes (probably should start) but I did not have time to put alot of effort into a seat for my daughter this week. I consider this one a proof of concept. If this works ok, I'll build her a nice one and also do one for me to fit my seat runners in the boat. Making it out of 6mm plywood, it should be really strong. Pretty self explanatory build process. I just tacked it together with a brad nailer and waterproof glue.
Frame
frames are double-thick 6mm ply.
quick coat of paint and latched in

Also added a cheap and quick anchor trolley. It probably won't last more than one saltwater trip but that is ok. When I get time I'll build one of Pogo's anchor contraptions (forgot the name) for the stern because I rarely anchor anywhere but the stern.
neon14

Re: you can laugh at me, but I'm going fishing by golly

Post by neon14 »

hey, that chair has arm rest. you never know it might work out really good.
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: you can laugh at me, but I'm going fishing by golly

Post by gerald »

Interesting. Keep the projects coming. I can safely tell you that seat systems give me fits. I think I'm on the right track--tracks, actually.
Keep us posted on how the seat works.