New Projects coming up...

gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

New Projects coming up...

Post by gerald »

Anybody got a new project coming up? Aside from quite a few designs that I need to get finished and out the door I've also got a new boat to build. It'll be kind of unique. 16' X 32", strip built, unique deck and open cockpit. Kind of a fishing showboat. Once details are ironed out I'll start an album and post little teaser pictures and details.

I know Darrell is considering one for his daughter. I have a very nice 3 panel design I want to show him at the Inks Lake Roundup, but he may want something different. In fact, he could maybe discuss it in a post on here, which would give everybody a chance to see how a boat is designed to fit the paddler and the intended useage.

Anyway...let's hear about some projects coming up.
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Stuck in the Middle, Wadefish 15' -Heritage 9.5 Angler (OlllllO)

Re: New Projects coming up...

Post by Light Keeper's Kid »

I'd like to see it also,got to build something for the wife :D

Mike
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Like everyone else, I'm always looking for that perfect fishing machine; and to that end I've been kicking around an ultra low profile Merlin decked canoe with large open cockpit and watertight compartments w/ hatches fore and aft, for a 15'-6" x 28" version of what Gerald builds. I'm considering using the Merlin as the basis because it's such a sweet performing, highly versatile hull. But I wanna look at Gerald's boats at Inks Lake before thinking about it any more . . . and besides, I've still got an OI to finish.

That's the project coming up, and now for a proposal to the gang: I move that we strike the phrase 'show boat' from the vernacular, unless somebody's actually talking about a project being specifically prepared for formal exhibition. If you mean a really nice stripper, please just call it a fancy stripper or whatever it really is . . . otherwise the connontations are that it's going to be a delicate little thing that's going to require baby treatment. Plus, building actual show boats is an end unto itself: bookmatched stripping, intricate woodwork, buffed out finish . . . all those lovely things that are impressive as heck no matter who you are or what you do.

I don't think any of us build show boats. And that's because there's no sense in it. I mean, if we ever did have a show, Birke would just come in and mop up the field with us. :P
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

I'm only going to bring one boat to the Roundup--my old marathon boat. Strider may bring more. Actually I like your idea of going with a low sheer Merlin with big cockpit and watertight compartments. I'm pretty much of the opinion that the best general purpose boat is a low sheer, decked canoe. However--I have some other things I'm kicking around. Still planning on designing and building a 7 panel, low sheer, boat for rivers, lakes, and whatever, that can be double bladed, single bladed, and rowed.

I have three levels of boat finish. Utility--which 99% of all my boats are, custom--which 99% of the other 1% is (this is also what you'd call a really nice boat), and showboat--which, of course is a "showboat." My reference to building a "fishing showboat" is 99% accurate. It will actually be a custom hull with a mild showboat deck and cockpit. I'm very excited about designing and building it, though I still have to work out a few details.

Besides--I fully plan to build a showboat one of these days just for show. If we do away with that term I wouldn't have anything to call it...

Another project coming up is one of my River Ranger 3 panel boats. I've got to do a detailed building manual for the 12, 14, and 16 footers. I'll build the 14 footer. The manual will be the same for all three.
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Nah, I ain't buyin' it. First of all, every hull any of us build is a "custom" hull. Second of all, you plan to use it, which I assume from the fact you're calling it a fishing boat, and not building it to show. Right? Right? Not ragging on you (okay, well, maybe a little :D ), just trying to get a better understanding of where you're coming from when you use the term.

Now that last one you mention, where you plan to 'build a showboat one of these days just for show' . . . now that would be a show boat fair and square. What I've proposed is not to kill the phrase, but to use it sparingly, to where it doesn't confuse the sho-nuff show boat with the really slick fishing boat.

Oh, and DO try to fit one additional boat into your showing, would you? Thank you.
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Ok...I'll split hairs with you. A "custom finish" is a "really nice boat". I don't paddle "really nice" boats. The boats I use and paddle are "utility finish" boats. One of my next projects is a "fishing showboat." I never said I'd use that boat. It is for an entirely different purpose. Somebody else will use that boat for the intended purpose. The River Ranger boat will be a "utility finish." Somebody else will use that boat for its intended purpose as well.

My use of the terms "utility finish", "custom finish", and "showboat finish" are my commercial reference to the level of finish one can generally expect in a nicely built and better boat. The degree of finish in boats varies widely. There is no sense in trying to make a utility boat into a showboat. Boats should be used for their intended purpose. At this time, nobody in Texas builds showboats. I AM going to build one--when I get the time.

I don't now. I may bring two boats. My Brazos River fishing boat (like strider's conquista) is in parts right now while I change out the seat system and change from bulkhead hatches to raised hatches, so it's out. The only other boat available is the old marathon boat that turned out to be a better fishing/expedition boat than marathon boat. I came home one day and found 8 roofers--who were suppose to be on the roof--sitting on the deck of the boat. They damaged it more than it already was. I may slap a patch on it and bring it. That boat sure has been good for fishing.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Gerald
Dang you need to bring your srch 16 ft to the shindig I want to paddle it again.
Another question what thickness ply do you use.

I have a new boat I am getting ready to build
here is what I went thru to get the specs
Length 15 to 16 ft, I doubt if I will ever build another boat under 15 ft for me length gives you stability speed and glide and tracking
4 mm ply
width between 26 and 28 at widest point

Asymetrical I like the looks and think it gives a little better preformance ,and your weight is in the widest part of the boat so a little more stability

decks with hatches on top, want a way to secure my gear, keep it dry,also helps in the wind and waves

has to have a place for my cooler

place for rod holders
a seat I can move foreward and backwards

Open cockpit nothing over my feet

If 28 inches wide a tumble home ,helps in the wind and not banging your hands
Thats a start for me
Ron
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Sounds like you've got a good start on what you want to do, Ron. I generally use 4mm okoume (OH-Coo-May) for S&G.

I don't have the srchr16 anymore. Somebody else does. Great boat. I miss it. Gotta build another.

16' is what I consider a pretty good general length. Wouldn't mind going down to 12' or up to 20'--possibly a little more. Ole' Greyloon had a really nice 10' canoe. With a good design even a short boat like that can serve well.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Is your Ranger series simular .
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

Wait. We're talking about custom hulls or custom finishes now? If I'm going to be splitting hairs, I at least want to know which hair I'm supposed to draw a bead on. Nah, never mind, I never wanted to split no hairs. Besides, it's a cinch there are things in this world I was never meant to understand. But I will go ahead and say you ought to bring as many boats as you can so your potential customers can see what you've been talking about all this time. Just sayin'...
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

bowgarguide wrote:Is your Ranger series simular .
No. The main attributes of the River Ranger series of 3 panel boats are that they are bone simple to lay out (loft) and build. Primarily for the new builder but should give a boat that an old paddler can appreciate.
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Pogo wrote:Wait. We're talking about custom hulls or custom finishes now? If I'm going to be splitting hairs, I at least want to know which hair I'm supposed to draw a bead on. Nah, never mind, I never wanted to split no hairs. Besides, it's a cinch there are things in this world I was never meant to understand. But I will go ahead and say you ought to bring as many boats as you can so your potential customers can see what you've been talking about all this time. Just sayin'...
Wait...I just thought of something. Are you dipping into the sauce tonight....?
TexasZeke

Post by TexasZeke »

there is a project out there, but at this point have no idea what it will end up being. Hopefully I'll make it to Inks to shop for ideas
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

I was honestly hoping you'd bring more than one boat because I'm really interested in studying them firsthand as candidates for my next attempt at the "perfect fishing boat." I certainly meant no offense to you or anybody else.
TexaRican
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by TexaRican »

I'm adding a cool front seat to my pirogue for my kid. (inspired by the plan you sent me Pogo) Would have put up a thread on it tonight but a neighbor borrowed my jig saw Saturday and looks like he left town before returning it. I'm stuck with the patterns layed out just begging to be cut.

Turns out my daughter really had her feelings hurt that I built a wooden seat for me and just had her ride on her old stadium seat. Wife clued me in the other day. Guess the kid wanted me to read her mind. Don't know why should did not just say "hey Dad, how about a seat for me"? Guess they start young :roll:
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

I will be starting my "Cape Fear" SOT as soon as I get the Okoume BS 1088 located in the Dallas area. Was just given the name of a supplier in Grand prairie that has it and will deliver for $20.00. The Cape Fear looks similar to Lighthouse Keeper's Kid's Wadefish.

This will be my bay fishing baby. Supposed to be ffffaaaasssstttt!

:dance:
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Preacher: what's the name of your supplier. I'm always looking for good suppliers. Sometimes I think I'll get a wild hair and purchase a hundred sheet order from Plywood and Doors just to make the shipping and costs worthwhile. I guess I could also sell the the local boat builders.

hmmm....I wonder how much that would be....
Birke

Post by Birke »

I was going to remodel the master bathroom.......oops....wrong forum.......:)
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

...Depends on where the master bathroom is...
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

gerald wrote:Preacher: what's the name of your supplier. I'm always looking for good suppliers. Sometimes I think I'll get a wild hair and purchase a hundred sheet order from Plywood and Doors just to make the shipping and costs worthwhile.
Haven't found one yet. I'm looking at Brazos Forest Products. They only charge $20.00 to deliver.

http://www.brazosfp.com/aboutus.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I guess I could also sell the the local boat builders. hmmm....I wonder how much that would be....
From what I've seen, at a nickle profit per sheet you would be rich.

:lol:
TexaRican
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by TexaRican »

Don,

Why don't you just make a High Island BTB trip and stop through Houston for some plywood? Houston Hardwoods has decent prices. Open weekdays and until noon on Sat. If those hours don't fit for you, I could always run in and get your order then keep it at the house until you can come through town.

They have Okoume and BS1088 Meranti (Hydrotek).
preacher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by preacher »

Pepperfool wrote:Don,

Why don't you just make a High Island BTB trip and stop through Houston for some plywood? Houston Hardwoods has decent prices. Open weekdays and until noon on Sat. If those hours don't fit for you, I could always run in and get your order then keep it at the house until you can come through town.

They have Okoume and BS1088 Meranti (Hydrotek).
MAN, YOU'RE NOT JUST SOME GOOD LOOKING GUY YOU'RE SMART TOO! :clap:

We are leaving in the morning for a week at the beach. I bet I can figure out a way to load 5 sheets in that motorhome.

Thanx mucho Chris.

:dance:
TexaRican
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by TexaRican »

Just let me know if you need me to pick it up for you. They are not open Sunday. I've been contemplating a lunchtime run down there this week for some teak - wife want a shower seat - but I'm leaning towards a prototype in cedar first.