Neccasary tools to build a boat

gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: Neccasary tools to build a boat

Post by gerald »

DarrellS wrote:
gerald wrote:
Night Wing wrote:It might be of tremendous help to others who are thinking of building a boat, but don't know what tools are needed to build a wooden boat, to make a list of the tools that are actually needed. Then, put it in a Sticky on this forum. Otherwise, this topic will eventually go to Page 2, Page 3, etc and it will get "lost". Just food for thought.
Good idea. I may just do that after the Roundup. I'm going to be sparing with the stickies, but this may be one we do. An alternative is a sticky with links to articles that detail certain subjects like that.
gerlad, Ilike your idea of a sticky with certain links that way you can add or remove as you see fit. Keeps the number of stickies down. Kinda like Beve "Master Collection"
You got it! Nightwing is the idea man, you are the re-inforcement. That's what I'm gonna do! I'll have to figure out exactly how to format the thing but I'll get it done...shortly after the Roundup.
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

AyJay wrote:Granted, my experience is in small powerboats, but the stitch and glue principles are the same.
Of course they are -- thanks for the pics, I get to see your cool looking boats at last! :D

I hope all who peruse this board will feel free to post pics of whatever boats they have built. As stated, the principles are the same, or at least real close; and we're plenty interested in seeing what you have wrought with your own two paws in any case (I don't see much peril of having our forum swamped with homemade power- or sailboat pics). Plus, seeing photographic evidence makes what you say much more "weighty". Gerald, please correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe I'm on safe ground in saying so.

Darrell, I second what you say. Beve's "Master Collection" is a stroke of forum genius IMO, seems to really work well.

Edit: I just saw the Bay Scooter thread . . . guess I really am on safe ground. Cool!! :D
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

AyJay wrote:Granted, my experience is in small powerboats, but the stitch and glue principles are the same.
That's a nifty little powerboat you've got there. :D Just curious. What's it's length and width?
AyJay
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AyJay »

It's pretty tiny, an OB15 from Bateau.com

I want to say the max beam is about 67 inches, and the length is 15 feet 4 inches. It is literally as wide and long as only 2 large kayaks. I must be crazy, because I just bought a used 60hp yamaha and I'm going to fit it on this skiff. I was going for a 50hp, but the 60 was too good to pass up. I'm building that Sabalo kayak right now, too, so I alternate between the skiff upgrades an building on my kayak.