A couple of BTB basic questions

luna nueva
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

A couple of BTB basic questions

Post by luna nueva »

Ive never done any BTB fishing from a kayak, but am very interested in giving it a shot as soon as possible. I have a Tarpon 160i. I know this boat is less than optimal for getting out there, but do you think it will be possible for an absolute first timer like myself? My brother has a Heritage Marquesa Redfish 14 footer than i could borrow if i need to. Its probably more stable. Also, how many rods do yall carry? Im planning on buying the 7 ft tiger uglysticks and the Okuma CT reels that Parrothead reccommended in those great articles he wrote. Ill probably have other questions but thats it for now. thanks again
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Depending on your paddling skills and the conditions of the sea, a 160i can be used offshore........I fished several time with another kayaker this summer who paddled a 160 with great success. Should you encounter sudden rough weather or high surf waves, you will probably be better off paddling into the beach backwards. Also,be sure you have an anchor trolley on the yak and know how to use it with a quick hookup and release.

I would suggest you only carry one rod to begin with. The tiger stick is a good selection. Any reel under 19 oz that holds 200 -300 yards of 20 lb mono with a 4:1 or better retrieve ratio is ok. You might start out with a used reel or one of those reconditioned one from FTU.

Be sure an accompany a group or several experienced btb'ers the first trip out. They will watch out for you and shorten your learning curve.

I hope this helps and good luck!!!
DelSol
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by DelSol »

My first trip BTB and all the ones after that so far have been in my Perception Bimini. It's a 15 footer and made for the bays, not the surf.
Works fine for me except when the surf is rough. Then it just sux, but that's okay because I don't like to fish in them conditions. Those days are bay days 8)

Knowing how to ride a wave in and how to take a breaking wave broadside will save your equipment from davy jones locker, but that's stuff you have to learn on the water. :wink:

As for rods, I take 2 surf rods and 2 casting rods, and that's 1 more of each than I need :roll: But I got the space for them so why not :D
LC yakr

Post by LC yakr »

MM
When you refer to "Tiger Stick" are there different lengths, capacities, etc??? How much do they cost and lastly where can you find them? Sorry for all the questions...
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mythman »

lc yaker wrote:MM
When you refer to "Tiger Stick" are there different lengths, capacities, etc??? How much do they cost and lastly where can you find them? Sorry for all the questions...
Can't answer as I have never had one.......but fish with a lot of others who use them. Perhaps some one like Dancingwithbulls with chime in and give you the information you seek.

I just know the people I fish with that use them, swear by them.
Troutless
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Troutless »

I use a 7' Shakespeare Ugly Stick Tiger BWC 220` 20-50 lbs with a Penn Squidder or a Diawa SHV 30.
The Ugly Stick can be purshased at Academy for apprioximately $60.00.
Aslo I just picked up a Abu 6000 on a Berkley Lighing Rod Med-Heavy 7' Casting rod. I think it will be ok for bull reds.
dancingwithbulls
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by dancingwithbulls »

What troutless said is probably the best bet on the Tiger Stiks for BTB. I have mine paired up with a Penn 320 i got from FTU for about 40 bucks. The tiger sticks can be found anywhere, but i too got mine at academy.
You really can't go wrong with those rods out there. Good luck to you!
Wolfman57
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Wolfman57 »

MM did you just recommend someone paddle in backwards like a debutant...maybe like Paris Hilton?

Paddling in through surf you are going to turtle....if you do it enough. Just strap your gear down and chalk it up to experience.

Starting off I would go with one rod, until you get comfortable with it.

I happen to be a Tiger Stick guy. I bought one of the medium 7’ models from Academy $58 with tax.

BUT also consider getting a medium heavy. I wrestled a few 6’ sharks with the medium poles and it was wishing I had something with a bit more back to it. So I went to Sports Authority to find a medium heavy version. These seem to be much more difficult to come by.

I like to keep my entire combo under $100 in case I decide to turn the yak over and lose my gear. I have rod leashes….but you never know.

FTU has some great re-conditioned reels that match pretty well with these poles.

WM
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mythman »

Wolfman57 wrote:MM did you just recommend someone paddle in backwards like a debutant...maybe like Paris Hilton?

Paddling in through surf you are going to turtle....if you do it enough. Just strap your gear down and chalk it up to experience.

WM
Even though I kid CY about it, those wilderness yaks do better coming in backwards in a heavy surf..........but be prepared for some kidding!!!
Fla-Fish
TKF 8000 Club
TKF 8000 Club

Post by Fla-Fish »

Paddle a Cobra and REMOVE YOUR HOOKS before coming back in
through the surf. Nothing worse than flipping and have a hook
stick your leg or worse :shock: :shock: :lol:
chazbo
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by chazbo »

Wich sorta brings up another topic..... I can't remember how many times this summer I saw people either fighting a fish, or paddling around with their rods in the holders, and the lines reeled in, WITHOUT securing the hooks. Hooks bouncing around all over the place, more or less head height. It doesn't seem like a safe practice to me......
My Fishing Buddy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by My Fishing Buddy »

My buddy and I have been out a couple of times for BTB and he has as Tarpon 140. I have a x-factor so I'm usually dryer than he is but he's fine. I would think the Tarpon 160 would be similar.
luna nueva
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by luna nueva »

How do you paddle backwards? Also, What would you say is the best time of year for BTB? I figure summer into fall?
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mythman »

luna nueva wrote:How do you paddle backwards? Also, What would you say is the best time of year for BTB? I figure summer into fall?
You back into the beach and always have your bow taking the waves......it is when you get sideways that you flip.

To me the best time for BTB weatherwise is August and Sept.

Fishingwise, it is Sept and Oct.
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crazy Yak »

Mythman wrote:Should you encounter sudden rough weather or high surf waves, you will probably be better off paddling into the beach backwards.
I almost fell out of my damn chair. Can't believe I'm reading this.... All the crap I've taken this year and finally someone recognizes the fact this technique works!!! The guys with the 36" wide kayaks just don't understand! Like MM said be prepared for some kidding. The plus side to the 160 is speed, you will be the first one on site when chasing down shrimp boats and feeding schools of fish!

Luna Nueva, you will be fine in your 160. Worst case scenario is you get tumped. Just make sure you have everything secured well, use rod leashes. Practice without your gear in rough surf first.

Also, my favorite rods are the 7ft, 20-40lb rated Okuma Tailwalker (order online from Okuma, the exact model # is on here somewhere) and Daiwa (at Gander Mtn, has nice triangle foam grip). The Tiger Stick would be perfect if the rod butt was shorter, but you can always shorten the rod butt yourself.
dancingwithbulls
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

What is the model on the Daiwa CY? I've never seen a decent BTB rod at Gander Mtn before other than the Tigers.
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crazy Yak »

dancingwithbulls wrote:What is the model on the Daiwa CY? I've never seen a decent BTB rod at Gander Mtn before other than the Tigers.
Can't remember exactly, picked one out for a good friend of mine and wish I bought one. They are $59 and look almost identical to the Tailwalkers in size and color. The Daiwa is lighter due to the graphite base and has the triangular handle for better grip.
altonr77

Post by altonr77 »

been using cheapy rods for years mostly shakespear. love them but i always have trouble with the tips and guides after just one season.
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crazy Yak »

Crazy Yak wrote:
dancingwithbulls wrote:What is the model on the Daiwa CY? I've never seen a decent BTB rod at Gander Mtn before other than the Tigers.
Can't remember exactly, picked one out for a good friend of mine and wish I bought one. They are $59 and look almost identical to the Tailwalkers in size and color. The Daiwa is lighter due to the graphite base and has the triangular handle for better grip.
Daiwa Eliminator, 7Ft
dancingwithbulls
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Thanks Steve!