High Island 11/17/07

Jolly Roger
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

High Island 11/17/07

Post by Jolly Roger »

I got to the beach at sunup to chopped up surf and calm winds. The winds blew most of the night but laid down at daybreak. The beach was in good shape, and not much in the way of water cabbage on the sand. I got a few bait rods out hoping for some whitting. Te bite was non stop for the first hour. Mostly golden croaker, whiting, spot croaker, san trout, and a few slot reds. I also caught a few under size puppy drum and a few silver perch. Had other smaller bait fish mixed in also. Made fr a fun first hour of fishing. I picked up and headed down the beach looking for the group. Found them a litte ways down. Most everyone went out BTB in kayaks, I was going to but my left shoulder has been giving me problems the last few weeks. So I satyed on the beach with Herb.

The bull reds were fast to hit, and they were very close to the beach. One cast I only waded out ankle deep and made a poor lob into waht was 2-3' of water in the middle of the suds. I was not expecting much from this cast so I went back to the meat rods . In less then ten minutes Herb is hooked up on the rod I had just casted out.

Herb Hooked up

Herb with the first Bull red of the day

We BS on the beach, and I caught more meat. The meat haul bite was slowing down as the tide was sucking out at a fast pace. A bait that one of the BTB fishermen had paddled out for Herb went off and the fight was on again. He lnded his second bull red of the morning.

The BTB fishermen caught a few bull reds each in the kayak. But like the surf bite, it to slowed down as the tide went out. Most all bull reds were caught on mullet, both frozen and fresh. Fresh whitting, croaker and sand trout was not getting hit but by more sand trout. You could anhor a kayak righ behind the breaking waves a murder some Gulf trout this weekend on cut bait or squid. The Bull reds were in close on high tide, in the wade gut. Once the tide sucked out they seemed to move outwith them. I would think that we could have caught more from the surf if we would have paddle a few baits out, but by lunch it had turned more into BS on the beach with friends then fishing.

I did not take a pic of my cooler filled with meat. But if you want to get a kid interested in fishing right now would be the time to go to the beach. Peeled shrimp on double drop leaders will be almost non stop action on an incoming or High Tide.
CIGAR MAN

High Island 11/17/07

Post by CIGAR MAN »

I want to thank T.J. for staying on the beach with me,especially since I don't have a kayak anymore thanks to Randy and Mike with support from many others who shall remain unnamed until the case comes up-you know who you are!!! Seriously though and as usual T.J. was a fountainhead of advice and information that made me a better fisherman-his "bait placement" was excellent as you can see from the pics-I DON'T NEED NO STINKING KAYAK :P just kidding!!!! Thanks to everybody who was there Sat. for making it another great day with good friends of a common interest. See you on the surf Dec. 8th-ya'll come to support a worthy cause and to teach others about our great sport!!!!!!
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Nice fish Herb..........and no paddling, Wow!!!
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: Kayak Featherlite 9.5 Mini-x Predator K140, Percption Swifty,Necky Zoar Angler

Post by Randy »

Dang, Herb I was beginning to feel sorry for ya, not having a kayak and all......ya might as well go on ahead and make it Official and just give it to her now,,,,,